DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New update: Forward flight YAW left to right

This thread discusses the change in turning behavior after update although the thread starter is complaining about the banking when yaw control is applied : Mavic air 2 turning problem after firmware update.

I don't have the drone but base on what I have read so far, DJI wants to make the drone to fly a perfect circle when elevator + rudder controls are applied. With other DJI models or MA2 with old-version firmware, it is very difficult, if not impossible to fly a perfect circle. This is what I got with my M2P :

View attachment 111469

It seems that the new firmware has problem in flying a perfect circle when the speed is too high so it slows down the drone first.
No i think it's whatever they optimized in sport mode to keep the gimbal from banking down when you first apply elevator in sport mode.... Usually in sport mode you would press the elevator hard and fast to go forward and the gimbal would shoot way down now it does not do that so whatever they did had to affect this firmware in some way

i would take the gimbal drop over the jerky yaw movements
i must try harder as i dont get any jerky yaw movements, unless this is only affect a handful of aircraft.did you say only in sport mode ?

The What's New section for Firmware V01.00.0340 has this entry - "Optimized shooting performance when flying forward in Sport mode. Adjust the flight attitude to avoid propellers unexpectedly showing up in the camera view."

In order to accomplish this I'm sure one or more of the flight characteristics was changed to make the MA2 be less aggressive (angles of attack) when flying in Sport mode. Another fix in Sport mode not mentioned was the camera dropping from 0 deg to 15 deg when you go full stick forward from dead stop. Again the AOA for accelerating was decreased to accomplish this.
That makes sense to me. They have really spoiled the freestyle feature by making the changes. Guess we will just have to get used to it. My MA2 flys like my Evo1 now. Jerky. It was so buttery smooth.

That makes sense to me. They have really spoiled the freestyle feature by making the changes. Guess we will just have to get used to it. My MA2 flys like my Evo1 now. Jerky. It was so buttery smooth.
Hey brother..... You could always go down a firmware...

I'm super happy to see in this thread and the one mentioned above that I am not the only one noticed the issue. However I think some people aren't understanding the issue. In any mode with forward input if you introduce Yaw, instead of maintaining level flight and turning on it's own axis like in previous firmware the drone will now drop or "bank" the corresponding side of the drone to turn. Almost mimicking a fixed wing. No I'm not in FPV mode either. And there's no settings that address this behavior anywhere in the settings. It isn't gimbal related, Its craft response to input.

and lose zoom?

lose 4k hyperlapses?

i dont wanna lol
That's what I said lmao. Gotta have zoom and 4k hypers. Guess I'll have to live without flying like a madman.

• Sad
Reactions: itsneedtokno
I too noticed this change. Coming from fixed wing it feels more natural to me. I need to have a tearing about session in sport mode though, to see what impact it has had on that.

You are totally correct, it does not fly the same since the upgrade. I like to fly is sport mode and do 180 degree turns in the air continuing backwards. Freestyle flying. Turns are now erratic and jerky no matter where I set yaw controls. DJI has no clue what I am talking about. Back to flying my MP1 and Mini. They both make buttery smooth turns. Too bad. The MA2 was a sweet flyer prior to the upgrades.
When your flying "freestyle" or what I call "sporty", do you notice if when your landing that your altitude reads negative? Im also not a fan of the way it flies nows..I loved doing 180s and not losing much air speed

Ok guys i may have spoke too soon. So i ran down 2 batteries today out "Sport flying" at a park. I may actually like this better. The sharp and abrupt turns are pretty fun at a full run. Jumped over on the mini in sports mode and it felt sluggish and unresponsive in comparison.

My ma2 has flown great since the update sounds like yours might need to refresh the FW.

I'm super happy to see in this thread and the one mentioned above that I am not the only one noticed the issue. However I think some people aren't understanding the issue. In any mode with forward input if you introduce Yaw, instead of maintaining level flight and turning on it's own axis like in previous firmware the drone will now drop or "bank" the corresponding side of the drone to turn. Almost mimicking a fixed wing. No I'm not in FPV mode either. And there's no settings that address this behavior anywhere in the settings. It isn't gimbal related, Its craft response to input.
You have fpv mode turned on in the gimbal settings turn it back to follow me mode..

I'm just back having given my Air 2 a thorough thrashing in sport mode and I'm liking how it's flying after the update. From full speed it banks over about 5 degrees as I start the turn then slows down to give a nice smooth fairly wide turn. Probably around 15 to 20ft radius.
I can understand other people's frustration if they want to reverse the flight path quickly, as used to be the case with mine before the update.
Note to self. Make sure you check all batteries have charged on the hub. I had one which hadn't, probably down to me not pushing it home correctly.

You have fpv mode turned on in the gimbal settings turn it back to follow me mode..
Again the behavior is not gimbal related. It's the response of the drone when YAW is introduced while flying forward. The corresponding side relevant to the input (YAW left or right) will bank instead of simply rotating on it's own axis in that direction. At first I didn't care for this behavior but like I said after a flight in a big open area and then swapping to the MM I may actually prefer the banking. The MM felt very sluggish coming into turns.

I swear. After all the threads about this you still get responses about the gimbal and FPV mode. It is a documented fact now that the new firmware changed the flight behavior of the MA2. That is all.

Reactions: Ramjam61
I asure you thats how it works watch it while you fly it in fpv mode and make sure you do have sideways flight turned off then switch it back to follow mode and see that it nows flies normal..

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgoodha