DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New update: Forward flight YAW left to right

Dannyslam

Reactions
Something has changed! While flying forward in sports mode try to YAW left or right. The drone no longer seems to rotate as much as it slows down dramatically and jerks left or right. Put my mini up tonight because it hasn't received this update and it flies totally different. Did they change something or have I fat fingered a setting?

Reset your yaw parameters to default in the gimbal control menu

I thought i did that once before but maybe not. I'll try it again tomorrow.

Something has changed! While flying forward in sports mode try to YAW left or right. The drone no longer seems to rotate as much as it slows down dramatically and jerks left or right. Put my mini up tonight because it hasn't received this update and it flies totally different. Did they change something or have I fat fingered a setting?
You are totally correct, it does not fly the same since the upgrade. I like to fly is sport mode and do 180 degree turns in the air continuing backwards. Freestyle flying. Turns are now erratic and jerky no matter where I set yaw controls. DJI has no clue what I am talking about. Back to flying my MP1 and Mini. They both make buttery smooth turns. Too bad. The MA2 was a sweet flyer prior to the upgrades.

I knew I couldn't be the only one to notice. I reset all parameters, tried them in all different configurations, yet to no avail. It's something I guess I'll have to get used to but I like the old way much better.

Does the behaviour occur when the yaw control input is small ? My guess is it will fly a perfect circle.

I’ve tried all combinations of yaw speed and smoothness. Can not find a sweet spot like prior to upgrade. When you imput yaw the drone slows way down too. This is new with the upgrade as well. For some these are improvements. For those flying freestyle it is not.

Reactions: VFR-Pilot42
Does the behaviour occur when the yaw control input is small ? My guess is it will fly a perfect circle.
It doesn't matter small or large the behaviour is the same. A very hard dip and loss of speed.

I’m very surprised many others are not discussing this issue. There must be thousands of MA2s in the air and only a small few have picked this up? It was very obvious to me as soon as I tried flying after the changes.

Reactions: Area512004
After update I had only one flight day (3 batteries). My impression was that the MA2 behaves somehow slower and sluggish.
Will check again. And I don't like to go thru the menu to get sideways flying back on after switching flight modes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed it immediately. You have to fly something else like the mini to really see the difference. And it feels sluggish because it **** near stops now to make a turn.

You are not the only one. I hate the way it Flys now in sport mode after the firmware update. So disappointed

you have an issue my friend ,since the update when i use yaw i do get some banking but it flys superb turns great tbh it flys better than it did in my eyes turns more like an aircraft and does not skid around the sky as much.there is a chap who started a thread on this as he did not like the new flight characteristics.most seem to like it it seems.

It doesn't matter small or large the behaviour is the same. A very hard dip and loss of speed.
mine does not do this at all ,try gentle turns .it now makes great circles better for filming.

You are totally correct, it does not fly the same since the upgrade. I like to fly is sport mode and do 180 degree turns in the air continuing backwards. Freestyle flying. Turns are now erratic and jerky no matter where I set yaw controls. DJI has no clue what I am talking about. Back to flying my MP1 and Mini. They both make buttery smooth turns. Too bad. The MA2 was a sweet flyer prior to the upgrades.

I knew I couldn't be the only one to notice. I reset all parameters, tried them in all different configurations, yet to no avail. It's something I guess I'll have to get used to but I like the old way much better.

Add me to the list.

I've noticed a HUGE difference in Sport mode.

I was hoping it was the high winds, but seeing others having similar issues makes me think otherwise...

I can post a video tomorrow.

This thread discusses the change in turning behavior after update although the thread starter is complaining about the banking when yaw control is applied : Mavic air 2 turning problem after firmware update.

I don't have the drone but base on what I have read so far, DJI wants to make the drone to fly a perfect circle when elevator + rudder controls are applied. With other DJI models or MA2 with old-version firmware, it is very difficult, if not impossible to fly a perfect circle. This is what I got with my M2P :

1598319712659.png

It seems that the new firmware has problem in flying a perfect circle when the speed is too high so it slows down the drone first.

Last edited:
The What's New section for Firmware V01.00.0340 has this entry - "Optimized shooting performance when flying forward in Sport mode. Adjust the flight attitude to avoid propellers unexpectedly showing up in the camera view."

In order to accomplish this I'm sure one or more of the flight characteristics was changed to make the MA2 be less aggressive (angles of attack) when flying in Sport mode. Another fix in Sport mode not mentioned was the camera dropping from 0 deg to 15 deg when you go full stick forward from dead stop. Again the AOA for accelerating was decreased to accomplish this.

The What's New section for Firmware V01.00.0340 has this entry - "Optimized shooting performance when flying forward in Sport mode. Adjust the flight attitude to avoid propellers unexpectedly showing up in the camera view."

In order to accomplish this I'm sure one or more of the flight characteristics was changed to make the MA2 be less aggressive (angles of attack) when flying in Sport mode. Another fix in Sport mode not mentioned was the camera dropping from 0 deg to 15 deg when you go full stick forward from dead stop. Again the AOA for accelerating was decreased to accomplish this.
i would take the gimbal drop over the jerky yaw movements

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twentytree