DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New user, just bought a mav 2 zoom, question about horizon level

Oyster_7

Reactions
Hi!

New to this great forum, have a question. Out flying today, and flew sideways in some wind, not that stong as DJO Go indicated. but the horizon level weren´t level, look at the video. Is this normal? I have calibrated everything before flight, IMU, compass, gimball on flat level etc.

If it is still off you can manually adjust it in the air. In advanced settings. It never seems perfect to me either.

At the beginning of your video, the left side of the horizon is higher than the right. As you start to roll right, the right side becomes higher than the left. This isnt normal gimbal behavior, so Im thinking it was because of the wind. If it were me, when I got to altitude, I would hover and adjust the horizon to level in "adjust gimbal" settings. Then as I began to roll the aircraft, I would keep the "adjust gimbal" window open and my finger on the "adjust gimbal" settings to compensate for wind or other reason why the gimbal is not straight. I do the same thing when Im flying straight ahead. Get to altitude, get the horizon on the screen, and adjust gimbal roll accordingly.Some gimbals never need adjustment. Others, and especially older gimbals that have been stressed out, need it more often.

Reactions: DebianDog
At the beginning of your video, the left side of the horizon is higher than the right. As you start to roll right, the right side becomes higher than the left. This isnt normal gimbal behavior, so Im thinking it was because of the wind. If it were me, when I got to altitude, I would hover and adjust the horizon to level in "adjust gimbal" settings. Then as I began to roll the aircraft, I would keep the "adjust gimbal" window open and my finger on the "adjust gimbal" settings to compensate for wind or other reason why the gimbal is not straight. I do the same thing when Im flying straight ahead. Get to altitude, get the horizon on the screen, and adjust gimbal roll accordingly.Some gimbals never need adjustment. Others, and especially older gimbals that have been stressed out, need it more often.

Thank you for your reply. I just bought the drone, slightly used with combo and care refresh. Do you think there is something wrong, or just due to wind? Perhaps a stupid question, but I’m quite new to drones;)

Thank you for your reply. I just bought the drone, slightly used with combo and care refresh. Do you think there is something wrong, or just due to wind? Perhaps a stupid question, but I’m quite new to drones;)

I think you simply have to fly when there's no wind or much less wind (the warning that flashes obviously meant you were fighting the wind) to see how the horizon shows up then to determine if there's a flaw in the drone/gimbal or it was the wind.

You can try to fly when not getting any "wind" error messages and see if that helps, as @ff22 said.

I dont usually like to let the camera run a long time when flying sideways. Maybe you can use shorter clips, or do it very slowly so you can adjust the gimbal if necessary..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bant18