DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New York Times Article on DJI

Spies don't like being spied on? Apple, Google, Amazon, etc are collecting a lot of information from their customers already. Making a big deal because DJI is Chinese, seems racist.
I would assume govs in a lot of countries would need to give DJI information about NFZs, so DJI's drone's can't fly there. And commercial operators would have to request to allow their drones to fly into some NFZ. So DJI isn't really stealing sensitive information, are they? They are given to them.

Spies don't like being spied on? Apple, Google, Amazon, etc are collecting a lot of information from their customers already. Making a big deal because DJI is Chinese, seems racist.
I would assume govs in a lot of countries would need to give DJI information about NFZs, so DJI's drone's can't fly there. And commercial operators would have to request to allow their drones to fly into some NFZ. So DJI isn't really stealing sensitive information, are they? They are given to them.

Apple, Google and Amazon are not collecting information on critical national infrastructure or sensitive national security activities and passing it on to foreign governments, which is the hypothesis being floated here. It may or may not be true, but that's a different matter.

Apple, Google and Amazon are not collecting information on critical national infrastructure or sensitive national security activities and passing it on to foreign governments, which is the hypothesis being floated here. It may or may not be true, but that's a different matter.
Depends on what you mean by information. I thought the drones only logs location (quite easily available), photos and videos (google maps). As for activities, are the drones being used to monitor/spy on individuals that may pose a threat to national security (spies being spied being spied)? Isn't location services usually/default on on iOS and Android? And like Android with microphone always on and recording conversations on mobile devices (Google 'fixed' that bug)?
sigh.. i just want to fly my drones for fun

Reactions: Djan
Depends on what you mean by information. I thought the drones only logs location (quite easily available), photos and videos (google maps). As for activities, are the drones being used to monitor/spy on individuals that may pose a threat to national security (spies being spied being spied)? Isn't location services usually/default on on iOS and Android? And like Android with microphone always on and recording conversations on mobile devices (Google 'fixed' that bug)?
sigh.. i just want to fly my drones for fun

Did you read the article?

Yes, exactly. There are some conclusions in that ICE report which seem far fetched to me. The story about the winery owner who surveyed his vineyards by drone and Chinese investors bought neighboring properties shortly thereafter is good example. However, best to remain as vigilant and as fully informed as possible.

I put a network sniffer on my network to monitor the traffic from my iPhone and iPad while using DJI GO 4 and did not see anything unusual. But this does not mean it is not true of course.

Thanks. A lot more details than NYT. Journalist these days don't do proper research, add their own opinions and are generally sketchy. Some couldn't even bother to do spell check before publishing.
I was searching for something related to Mavic yesterday, and it lead me to the DJI forum. I was surprised to see I was logged in, and it did show the drones I own and the total km traveled. Then again, I did sync my flights from DJI Go.
I definitely don't like that it sends my info to various online market place. Probably for targeted ads. If I go to alibaba, I probably get ads for DJI products? I guess Google does the same with my web searches.
Makes using a dedicated mobile device, not connected to the internet, and 3rd party apps like Litchi to fly my drones an option to keep from DJI's prying eyes.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I always love these types of denials:
DJI have subsequently advised that the issue: “The is being addressed. We have never used it as a company. It should be removed with the next revision.”

Perhaps that is true. They have never used it "as a company". They simply pass it straight to their government... :confused::mad:

I always love these types of denials:
DJI have subsequently advised that the issue: “The is being addressed. We have never used it as a company. It should be removed with the next revision.”

Perhaps that is true. They have never used it "as a company". They simply pass it straight to their government... :confused::mad:
Yeah. Typical with so many of these big companies. "We never use it (or was for testing only)... will remove in next revision". Why is it in there in the first place (or why was it left in there)?
I guess they sell their products to you, and make you (and your information) their product.

Yeah. Typical with so many of these big companies. "We never use it (or was for testing only)... will remove in next revision". Why is it in there in the first place (or why was it left in there)?
I guess they sell their products to you, and make you (and your information) their product.

For a company like DJI, with a business based on hardware sales, I'm not sure what value you or your information would have, as a product. Who do you suppose would pay them for it?

They do have DJI affiliate program. Earning commission from hardwares sales etc. Surely, an online market place might pay DJI a fee to add their website proxy to their DJI Go app. Why else would it appear the the app? Like I said, if you happen to visit any of those sites, like alibaba, they might display ads related to Mavic product and accessories.

They do have DJI affiliate program. Earning commission from hardwares sales etc. Surely, an online market place might pay DJI a fee to add their website proxy to their DJI Go app. Why else would it appear the the app? Like I said, if you happen to visit any of those sites, like alibaba, they might display ads related to Mavic product and accessories.

I can't see how that is going to work, unless DJI sold Alibaba lists of IP addresses of Go app users. The Go app is not going to be able to add cookies to your browsers. And why else would what appear in the app? I'm not clear what you are referring to there.

I can't see how that is going to work, unless DJI sold Alibaba lists of IP addresses of Go app users. The Go app is not going to be able to add cookies to your browsers. And why else would what appear in the app? I'm not clear what you are referring to there.
Read the link that Xtreme Drone Pilot posted?
Or check the link below, and scroll to bottom.
faq:dataleakage:chatter [dji.retroroms.info]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest