DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie and Mavic pilot wannabe

eukerion

Reactions
Hi all,

I've been occasionally flying an entry-level drone (Eachine E511S) for a year or so (see attached pictures) and I now feel like I need more advanced features (picture quality and camera stabilisation in particular). The Mini 1 and 2 have both caught my eye and I'm now considering buying one of them. I've been viewing this forum for a long time and decided it was time to actually register.

Looking forward to exchanging ideas about Mavic drones and learning from the World's top pilots!

Cheers from Paris!
eukerion

Attachments

• edit_20200910143318_100920.jpg
    edit_20200910143318_100920.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 7
  • edit_PHOTO_000008_150720.jpg
    edit_PHOTO_000008_150720.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 7
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
and stay safe.. Thumbswayup

Hi there & welcome to the forum ? :D

And don't let the similar looks & naming fool you ... the Mini2 is a hugely better model than the Mini.
Hey slup, thanks for your answer! Yes I know, I really love the Raw capacity of the Mini 2 in particular (I'm mainly an enthusiast photographer), as well as the much more stable connection with the remote apparently, but sadly the price tag is not the same... Thanks again! :)

And thanks to Gary.r and dirkclod for the warm welcome ??

Last edited:
Hey slup, thanks for your answer! Yes I know, I really love the Raw capacity of the Mini 2 in particular (I'm mainly an enthusiast photographer), as well as the much more stable connection with the remote apparently, but sadly the price tag is not the same... Thanks again! :)

And thanks to Gary.r and dirkclod for the warm welcome ??
You will regret getting a drone thats cheaper, there is a reason why they are cheaper.

Thank you all for your answers! :)

You will regret getting a drone thats cheaper, there is a reason why they are cheaper.
Yes I know but on the other hand I'm far from a professional and maybe it's not that bad to start with a Mini 1 (which is already not that "cheap") before I consider upgrading? There is a sizeable price difference between them and I know that having a more expensive model between my hands will make me more wary of using it. That considered, the Mini 2 is still in my budget but without the Fly More Combo...

Anyway I should probably start a new thread in the dedicated section instead of flooding the Check-in section I guess ;)

P.S.: I love your shots of Scotland, I've lived in Glasgow for a few years and I really miss Scotland!

Thank you all for your answers! :)

Yes I know but on the other hand I'm far from a professional and maybe it's not that bad to start with a Mini 1 (which is already not that "cheap") before I consider upgrading? There is a sizeable price difference between them and I know that having a more expensive model between my hands will make me more wary of using it. That considered, the Mini 2 is still in my budget but without the Fly More Combo...

Anyway I should probably start a new thread in the dedicated section instead of flooding the Check-in section I guess ;)

P.S.: I love your shots of Scotland, I've lived in Glasgow for a few years and I really miss Scotland!
Me being scottish take my word mini 1 is crap compared to mini 2 even just for the range mini 1 is cack

Me being scottish take my word mini 1 is crap compared to mini 2 even just for the range mini 1 is cack
If you want to spend money well? No matter how good you will be with that drone , the mini 2 will serve you well without the need to upgrade for a couple of yrs.ive been flying dji drones for 6 yrs and only had two drones p3p and now a m2p and I am in no rush to buy a m3p

... I'm far from a professional and maybe it's not that bad to start with a Mini 1...

;)

Which of below 2 Mini's would you equip a newbie with if you wanted them to at least have the slightest possibility to manage the Dakar rally ?

1614001700886.png
1614001717692.png

... meaning that the Mini 1 can be handled somewhat without mishaps by a experienced pilot that have the knowledge to negotiate higher winds & a not so reliable connection. But put that in the hands of a newbie ... & the race ends before it have started. ?:cool:

Thank you all for your answers ?

Wow I didn't know there was such a clear cut in people's opinions about the Mini 1 vs 2 debate...

;)

Which of below 2 Mini's would you equip a newbie with if you wanted them to at least have the slightest possibility to manage the Dakar rally ?

... meaning that the Mini 1 can be handled somewhat without mishaps by a experienced pilot that have the knowledge to negotiate higher winds & a not so reliable connection. But put that in the hands of a newbie ... & the race ends before it have started. ?:cool:

Alright I'll give the Mini 2 a try if I can find a decent deal. On a scale from 0 to 10, would you recommend the Fly More Combo? And what about the Care Refresh option?

... didn't know there was such a clear cut in people's opinions about the Mini 1 vs 2

Well ... it's not so much opinions, the 1 & 2 is very different in those areas where newbies usually make their first (& perhaps their last) mistakes when they feel confident enough to venture out from the garden ... up on height & away on distance.

The Mini 1 have a max speed of 8m/s in normal mode whilst the 2 have 10m/s ... that doesn't sound much, but the 2 also automatically move over to the Sport setting territory as it let the pitch down utilize the sport spec even in normal mode which gives the 2 a possibility to fight headwinds up to 16m/s without the pilot need to have the awareness to switch to Sport.

Connection wise the spec for the 1 says 2km in CE mode (which you will be in as you're in France) ... but 6km for the 2 (with a much more reliable Occusync system less prone to interference). This will give you much more time to decide what to do before you loose the connection.

... On a scale from 0 to 10, would you recommend the Fly More Combo? And what about the Care Refresh option?

No scale but ... the combo gives you definitely the most bang for the buck as you very likely will buy more batteries anyhow, but if you're on a tight budget ... you go with the Mini 2 & fill in equipment later on as it hurts less.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada