DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie from OR.

Thanks to all for the kind greetings!
I was wondering about the classes/courses offered on this site for drones.
Have many of you taken them and are they above common sense useful?
I have put a fair amount of research into drone usage (also ha a Holystone model) and obviously have some film experience 😉. A good brush up on a lot of material?

Attachments

• CB9E8AD3-F75F-471F-8A1B-CAA66AA16213.jpeg
    CB9E8AD3-F75F-471F-8A1B-CAA66AA16213.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Reactions: Skywatcher2001

Pilot Institute is an Approved vender here on the Forum that can get you going in the right direction.

They have helped a lot of pilots get certified.

Pilot Institute: Drone and Airplane Pilot Courses - Aviation Made Easy

Tell them you're a member here for a possible discount. 🤔

I'm not sure if you've taken the TRUST test yet, but every pilot should take it and keep a copy with you when you fly.

It's a free, no fail test to brush up the basics.

FAA TRUST Online Portal for Recreational Drone Operators - Pilot Institute

Good luck. :)

Welcome aboard.
You should certainly have excellent surround for drone photography.
(Finland is more like what Rockies will be after billion+ years of erosion)

Waiting for drone is good time for reading user manual at least once.
Also there are some good instruction videos around Youtube.

Anyway start slowly and from shorter distances and lower altitude.
And learn from the mistakes of others, your drone won't live long enough to do them all.

Have many of you taken them and are they above common sense useful?
If common sense was actually common don't think there would be that many of those classes/courses... Or federal regulations creating demand for them.
But since "food started growing in supermarket and electricity coming from wall socket" for ordinary people we're here with politicians regularly aiming for more regulations. (and restrictions)

Actually some of the instructions in those are possibly in certain sense both good but also harmfull.
At least here in Europe some are:
Charging batteries always full after flight is torture for lithium chemistry batteries shortening their life span.

Welcome aboard.

And learn from the mistakes of others, your drone won't live long enough to do them all.

If common sense was actually common don't think there would be that many of those classes/courses... Or federal regulations creating demand for them.
But since "food started growing in supermarket and electricity coming from wall socket" for ordinary people we're here with politicians regularly aiming for more regulations. (and restrictions)

Actually some of the instructions in those are possibly in certain sense both good but also harmfull.
Charging batteries always full after flight is torture for lithium chemistry batteries shortening their life span.
I also agree! I started out as an A/P (Aircraft Mechanic, Helos) and am an electrician in the industry. So my common sense is a little less rudimentary and I see a lot of common mistakes. FARs book when I started was rather thin (not really!), now it is more like the Encyclopedia Britannica!

Welcome aboard.

My first drone ate a tree and was never recovered, so I have that initial disappointment covered. Hoping never to use the DJI Refresh, got it anyway!

You’re very welcome and we look forward to seeing your work when you get the hang of it all. You will be a amazed at the craft’s capabilities and sure you will, with your cinematic experience, be able to extract maximum effect from it.

Thank you,
From what I have seen from you pros has been very high caliber and hoping that even this blind squirrel will find a nut once in while!

Pic I am including here is from Stranger Things S4.

Attachments

• D9015858-4576-472C-BEA9-B606599F3E91.jpeg
    D9015858-4576-472C-BEA9-B606599F3E91.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
Welcome aboard.

😆😆😆 that's quite the collection of crash videos . . . I've watched them all. Best 'scared straight' tactic there is . . .

Welcome to the forum! If you need any product support or help, please do not hesitate to let us know. Also, we would like to offer you a 5% discount on our online store: www.FloridaDroneSupply.com - Use Code: NEWFORUMPILOT at checkout! Have a great day!

*Discount does not apply to DJI Enterprise Drones.

I used to live near you in Altadena, close to the cemetery. Is the flying good there, enough free spots without problems (limitations)?
Yes!! My brother lives just up Fairoaks on Mendocino in Altadena (between the two churches). JPL has most of that airspace on lockdown (from time to time) but I still go up to Mt. Wilson near the observatorys. Great place to fly (as long as those fierce Santa Ana winds aren't blowing). Nice area.

RC is all mountains and desert . . . minimal restrictions.

Yes!! My brother lives just up Fairoaks on Mendocino in Altadena (between the two churches). JPL has most of that airspace on lockdown (from time to time) but I still go up to Mt. Wilson near the observatorys. Great place to fly (as long as those fierce Santa Ana winds aren't blowing). Nice area.

RC is all mountains and desert . . . minimal restrictions.
I was on Sacramento St. (Near Xmas Lane). Please post a vid of your area, great to see that perspective. Around the observatory would be grand too!

I was on Sacramento St. (Near Xmas Lane). Please post a vid of your area, great to see that perspective. Around the observatory would be grand too!
I also am a sunset lover!

Attachments

• 659B1D8B-4324-4938-B8F2-23F5C2DF6980.jpeg
    659B1D8B-4324-4938-B8F2-23F5C2DF6980.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • 439803A3-A95D-4C44-A13B-48623F10AC21.jpeg
    439803A3-A95D-4C44-A13B-48623F10AC21.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Nice sunsets . . . next time I'm up in Altadena (in June) I'll fly over the area for you.

Greetings all!
I am a 35 year veteran of the film industry (Lightning, Grip, Editor and even had my own Production Co.) and am waiting for my first DJI Drone! (Mini 3 Pro w/Smart Controller)
I have been watching Mavic Pilots threads for quite awhile and appreciate all of your experience and insights and hope to lean a lot from you all.
Cheers!
View attachment 148634
Welcome to the forum from the mountains of Colorado! Happy and safe flying!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters