DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie question

I'm sure there are tutorials both in print and as video on the internet.

Where I live there are several popular parks within controlled airspace. Only one that really is too close to the airport but people ignorantly fly there, though I see now even that one has a 50ft ceiling in almost all of it.

Not many open places left in the bay area. Still really trying think where I will fly. And I agree it was a bit confusing at first. I was almost going to return it thinking I had no where to fly it. I think most people probably think that you fly where ever you want.

I haven't used B4UFly in some time. Last I used it, it showed the grid but couldn't submit LAANC authorization requests. Airmap and Kittyhawk were the only apps available even though Kittyhawk was contracted to continue development of B4UFly. Has B4UFly been updated to provide LAANC services?

The LAANC apps will default to using your current location as where you intend to fly, but you can change that.

Fun fact: DJI was approved as a LAANC provider and DJI had planned to integrate LAANC into Go, but never did. Had they done so, that would have provided the ability to automatically unlock an authorization . zone after having obtained LAANC authorization.
From what I understand, B4UFLY used to be crappy, but was totally re-worked by Kittyhawk, and is now just fine for authorizations.

Hi, Just wondering. I am planning on practicing at a local field at a school. Shouldnt be any problems with people. Question is do you always have to get authorization on the b4ufly app ? It says controlled airspace. Airspace authorization required. get LANNC. If I click Get LANNC will I be good to go ? 100ft limit which is fine because i just want to just learn controls.

Thanks and hope this is not a dumb question.
B4UFly does NOT grant authorizations. It provides the same information as AirMap. You may be able to get authorizations, if you are in the area of the image provided by dronerdave, from AirMap. Not sure because I do not use it.
I use B4UFly and, if I wish to fly in a controlled airspace, I use KittyHawk to get LANNC authorization. Such authorization is ONLY for the day and time your request. Hope this helps.

B4UFly does NOT grant authorizations. It provides the same information as AirMap. You may be able to get authorizations, if you are in the area of the image provided by dronerdave, from AirMap. Not sure because I do not use it.
I use B4UFly and, if I wish to fly in a controlled airspace, I use KittyHawk to get LANNC authorization. Such authorization is ONLY for the day and time your request. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Ron Caballero CAP
Hi, Just wondering. I am planning on practicing at a local field at a school. Shouldnt be any problems with people. Question is do you always have to get authorization on the b4ufly app ? It says controlled airspace. Airspace authorization required. get LANNC. If I click Get LANNC will I be good to go ? 100ft limit which is fine because i just want to just learn controls.

Thanks and hope this is not a dumb question.
1. To fly for fun you don't need any permission unless you are flying in a restricted zone (around airports, military, etc) but there are some rules you need to obey like no higher than 400 feet, stay away from people, etc. mostly common sense stuff
2. To fly using Part 107 license for hire there are a lot of different restrictions like you can't fly at night, etc. and you will need to pass the part 107 knowledge test. (it's hard so study a lot and preferably buy an online ground school course like this one for $85 https://drone.flightready.net/remote-pilot-ground-school. You won't pass without a lot of study.
3. If your drone is locked out from take off you are likely in a restricted zone. If your close to an airport (typically 5 miles from tower) you need to call the tower and get permission. They will ask where you will be flying from, purpose, etc. Get the tower telephone number from airport website typically online.
4, Next go to DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography and add the information they request, You will need the drone controller's serial #. The unlocking information will be added to a list in your controller and viewed from the settings menu. This will unlock your drone.

• Love
1. To fly for fun you don't need any permission unless you are flying in a restricted zone (around airports, military, etc) but there are some rules you need to obey like no higher than 400 feet, stay away from people, etc. mostly common sense stuff
2. To fly using Part 107 license for hire there are a lot of different restrictions like you can't fly at night, etc. and you will need to pass the part 107 knowledge test. (it's hard so study a lot and preferably buy an online ground school course like this one for $85 https://drone.flightready.net/remote-pilot-ground-school. You won't pass without a lot of study.
3. If your drone is locked out from take off you are likely in a restricted zone. If your close to an airport (typically 5 miles from tower) you need to call the tower and get permission. They will ask where you will be flying from, purpose, etc. Get the tower telephone number from airport website typically online.
4, Next go to DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography and add the information they request, You will need the drone controller's serial #. The unlocking information will be added to a list in your controller and viewed from the settings menu. This will unlock your drone.
My son took his new MA2 out to a nearby park, but was blocked. Unbeknownst to him, he was near a hospital, and the helicopter pad for airlifting patients is like a mini-airport, and therefore a restricted zone. I live not far from where George and Laura Bush live, so there is a BIG red circle around their home, NO flying whatsoever, and that restriction won't expire for the next 29 years! The apps like B4UFLY all show these of course, so its a good idea to do a little homework before you leave the house.

You do NOT contact a tower for authorization. That was changed in summer 2019. You now use LAANC with Airmap or Kittyhawk app to submit authorization requests in controlled airspace. Approval usually comes back in less than a minute.

If the airspace doesn't support LAANC, or special circumstances that would be denied with LAANC, submit at FAA dronezone website.

All other airports that are in G airspace, exhibit caution. There's still no need to contact the airport or tower.

If you're locked out in a blue authorization zone (DJI's term), you can unlock in field from the appor in advance from DJI's FlySafe website. DJI applies these zones for other areas besides controlled airspace where a TFR is in effect or caution should be taken, such as runway paths.

Nobody should be flying in red zones.

Nobody should be flying in red zones.
It’d be nice if DJI and apps standardized there color coding.

DJI’s red zones look like they’re areas where you cannot fly into at all(at least the few I looked at, while AirMap and Kittyhawk have red zones where you can’t take off in, but can fly into.

I'm pretty sure Kittyhawk now operates B4UFly. I use Kittyhawk and love it. Permission in my Class C airspace takes just a few moments.
Yeah... I'm not sure why they merged.

Yeah... I'm not sure why they merged.
They didn't really. B4UFly is FAA's app which was a disappointment initially. FAA contracted Kittyhawk to redesign and maintain development of it. From my brief revisit of it, looks like all it lacks is being able to submit LAANC requests.

Reactions: vindibona1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman