Newbie: Unlocking Geo Zones?

Edited to incorporate changes

No flying in the Red zone
Go to this DJI website - Self Unlocking
Login, if you don't have an account, create one
Right slider down until you see Select A Zone To Unlock
On the left (Please Select Model To Unlock) click on you model
Click on the small check box to the right of Authorization Zones
Below the Select A Zone To Unlock box, in the Search Box, enter the city name and select your NFZ
If it isn't listed you can drag the map to your location.
NFZ 3      .jpg
In my case, Click on the RED locator, it will tell you details about the location.
If you click on the YELLOW locator, it will tell you details about that location
Right slider down, below the map you will see the name of the zone you want to fly in.
Enter Serial Number it can be found in several places
- - - on box drone came in
- - - AC battery compartment lower right by UPC code (combine 2 rows with no spaces}
- - - Your serial number can be found in DJI GO > General Settings > About
Enter the date you want to fly, today's date is a valid option. Your authorization is valid for three days.
Days are calendar days, not from the time you request authorization.
NOTE: You can select dates in advance.
Click on SUBMIT
NFZ 4      .jpg
The S/N I entered is fictitious
Read and if you agree to the T&C click on AGREE
If you agree to the statements check that you have authorization and accept responsibility for your flight
- - Have authorization (if required) to fly
- - Accept full responsibility for your flight
If you agree Click PROCEED to continue
Click on the method you want to use to verify
Select your country
Enter your mobile number and
If you have read and agree, Click your acceptance of the T&C
Click SEND to continue
You will receive a text message with the verification pin
Enter the PIN and click VERIFY
You should receive a Verification complete! if everything was OK

DO NOT read into this what you want to see. This is literal.
Please note that the Authorization zone will be unlocked starting at 0:00 (local time in the selected zone) on the day you choose for unlocking, and expire on the third day at 23:59 (local time in the selected zone).

Last edited:
Can I fly outside the red marked area in the DJI website map, even if the country doesn't allow drone

In the USA we have restrictions other than the Red NFZ.
If your country "even if the country doesn't allow drone" I would think that is an issue to be resolved locally. DJI can't supersede local restrictions/laws.

Reactions: ahyan
So from what I'm reading about GEO zones, you can unlock and fly in these zones (which they want you to do) but you are still liable. So is this just so they have more complete info on you if things go bad? I am a newbie and, in checking my flight records noticed I have flown in a couple of these areas without 'unlocking' them. I am preparing to take the part 107 FAA test, so I want to fly safe and legal (would NEVER fly close to people/aircraft/prisons/monuments, etc.) so I guess I don't really understand these Geo zones other than a way to (maybe) make pilots aware of the hazards within the Geo zone and collect data on Pilots?

It's ridiculous. This is why I'm getting an Evo. Dji shows "airports" all around me. Of course they're just abandoned "runways" carved into fields. I'm not chancing it. 1500 is to much to pay for a lawn ornament. The Mavic 2 pro is better drone but it doesn't matter if it stays on the ground because a Chinese company has decided grandpa's unused for decades airstrip is an international Airport. It's a shame.

Edited to incorporate changes

DO NOT read into this what you want to see. This is literal.
Please note that the Authorization zone will be unlocked starting at 0:00 (local time in the selected zone) on the day you choose for unlocking, and expire on the third day at 23:59 (local time in the selected zone).

Thanks Turn11, I'll expect it in the am.

Take care and happy flying!

Reactions: Turn11
It's ridiculous. This is why I'm getting an Evo. Dji shows "airports" all around me. Of course they're just abandoned "runways" carved into fields. I'm not chancing it. 1500 is to much to pay for a lawn ornament. The Mavic 2 pro is better drone but it doesn't matter if it stays on the ground because a Chinese company has decided grandpa's unused for decades airstrip is an international Airport. It's a shame.
I have the Mavic 2 Zoom, Magic Pro Platinum, and several other Dji Drones. I like them all. BUT, I also have the Autel EVO, just in case I run into The NFZ situation. With that said, I still HAVE to be responsible. Just because I can put all the DJI drones back in the car and whip out the Autel EVO and fly to the end of day does not exclude the responsibility of being a Professional Drone Pilot. Protect and save our hobby......

Reactions: BD0G
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan