DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie w ? re 250 grams

skered53-464

Reactions
Moving from rc helo's to quads and a co-worker let me fly his mini and Air 2.
I'm still deciding whether I should get a Mini 2, mini 3 pro or an Air 2. I know the mini 2 does not have tracking and I'm pretty sure I want that for fishing on a large river. There seems to be many used mini 2's and Air 2 on the market, not so many used Mini 3's.
Besides registration, what other downsides to going above 250 grams ?
Thanks, Derek

TRex 500 fbl, TRex 550 stretched to longer tail boom and 600 mm blades, fbl = 7 lb 14 oz. not afraid of weight ;-)

I know the mini 2 does not have tracking and I'm pretty sure I want that for fishing on a large river.
t are you planning on tracking? The algorithms are set up for people and cars, boats are a kind of hit and miss depending on how car-like the shape of the boat is etc... The Air 2 will do tracking and you can probably find one for a decent price compared to the newer models. Also it has an SDK released so it will work with some 3rd party software that would allow waypoints (even though it's only virtual sticks). The newer Mavic 3 or Mini 3 Pro do not have SDKs so are limited to the Fly app.

I have an aluminum motor boat that 18 feet long, has a windshield, 90 horse motor, used on the Columbia river to troll for salmon. The slowest it will run on plane is about 18-20 mph. Thanks

Hello from the Crossroads of America skered53-464.

I don't have any experience with the tracking modes of the MA2, but it is a robust aircraft that can handle the wind as you travel.

Good camera options, along with third party software, and a lot of accessories for the MA2 are still available if needed.

Have fun shopping and welcome to the Forum. 😎

I'd avoid the original Air 2, if you're going to do that price the mini 2 has a few advantages.

In my opinion it's either the Air 2s (if wind resistance is more of a concern and you need 10bit dlog-m video). Otherwise the Mini 3 pro especially if you don't already have a high end or bright moble device to use with the app.

Mini 2 would be the lowest I'd go, it's decent on wind resistance for the small size but you don't get 10bit video if that matters (mini 3 can via cinelike d profile). But you'll need to plan on getting a remote id module before September 2023 if DJI doesn't provide a firmware update to the older models. Which will mean you'll have to register the drone as it will no longer be under 250g take off weight. (unless the final rule says you don't need remote id at all for sub 250 for flying outside of fria space)

Other thing to consider is third party sdk support. You can use apps like Litchi (which have their own tracking functions) with the air 2s and mini 2, but not yet the mini 3 (DJI also hadn't said if they will offer sdk support for the mini 3 or not, in the past its usually been expected just a matter of time, but seems like they're focusing on only providing sdk for Enterprise drones moving forward).

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum!

Personally, I don't see having to register a drone as a "downside". What are your plans for the drone? Hobbyist, or Part 107 work?

The Air 2s is an all-around great drone that can be used for both hobby and Professional.

Also if launching landing from a boat you should read up on the difficulties/risks of that and resetting the home point otherwise an RTH could send your drone swimming.
If you are planing at 18-20mph what's the speed relative to the wind?

Thanks for the replies, only hobbyist at this time, I wouldn't fly it in high winds especially over water. As far as tracking, we usually are fair weather fisher peeps so we aren't out there in high winds.
Also, it's a bear trying to troll into the wind above 7=8 mph with my boat, the bow catches the wind and blows us off course easily, Trolling with the wind in this case it much easier. Boat is a Hewescraft Searunner, ie Deep V front end to handle the ocean. I think the boat tops out at 30 mph on really flat water.
I did move my home point with the mini and RTH'ed it some 50 feet from where it launched with no problem. I'll probably do that with the Air 2 today, maybe do some quick shots and walking tracking to fam myself with it.

Thanks for the replies, only hobbyist at this time, I wouldn't fly it in high winds especially over water. As far as tracking, we usually are fair weather fisher peeps so we aren't out there in high winds.
Also, it's a bear trying to troll into the wind above 7=8 mph with my boat, the bow catches the wind and blows us off course easily, Trolling with the wind in this case it much easier. Boat is a Hewescraft Searunner, ie Deep V front end to handle the ocean. I think the boat tops out at 30 mph on really flat water.
I did move my home point with the mini and RTH'ed it some 50 feet from where it launched with no problem. I'll probably do that with the Air 2 today, maybe do some quick shots and walking tracking to fam myself with it.
Other thing to keep in mind, the wind speed at ground is usually a bit lower than the wind speed 200 or 300 feet up.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Other thing to keep in mind, the wind speed at ground is usually a bit lower than the wind speed 200 or 300 feet up.
Right on, I have tall firs around me and I can see the their tips to kinda gauge the winds, I normally check a wind app before planning a day on the water, so there's two loaded in the iphone already.
I'm bidding on a Air 2, I like the heft of it compared to the mini 1 .

my new gutters need to be cleaned out btw ;-). gonna wait until all the leaves are off the trees.

I'm still deciding whether I should get a Mini 2, mini 3 pro or an Air 2.

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

I own and fly the Mini 2 and I've flown the Mini 3 and the Phantom P4. I have only good things to say about the mini 2. You have received so many complete, full, and informative responses so far, there is nothing I can add, but I will link you up with all the User manuals for the Drones you are considering. Links at the End…

As a New Drone Pilot, there are a couple of Legal Things you may need to do…

If you have not already done so, you will need to get your TRUST Certificate. You can get that at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…) . If your Drone weighs less than 250-grams (0.55 pounds) and you are flying under The Exception for Recreational Flyers, you are not required to register your Drone.

When I first started flying I registered my Mini 2 because the TRUST Certificate and FAA Registration established me as a "certified" Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Pilot. I have now passed my Part 107 License Exam and am awaiting the arrival of my Permanent License and then I will re-register my Mini 2 under Part 107.

Link to the TRUST Certificate at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…)

Link to the FAADroneZone (Optional Registration for Drones under 250-Grams…)

If you are considering acquiring your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you going…

Since you live in Oregon, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in your neck of the woods and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in your area… Also, if you travel on vacation, visit friends, and relatives in other parts of the country, check back here so you do not run afoul of the law.

Even if you have flown Drones before, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

You paid a lot of money for that Drone, put your phone number on it. If your drone gets lost or stuck in a tree and it finally comes down when you are not around, give the finders an opportunity to contact you so it can be returned.

Now, for the Fun Part, But do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 4-5 feet (1-1/2 meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini, the Mini 2, the Mini3, the Air 2, and for good measure, I've included the Air 2S, including the User Manuals.

After you read the Manuals, read them again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Happy Droning…

Thanks LoudThunder, I've put some flights on each. I like the idea of the remove before flight streamer. I bought some long ones for work to use on safety bypass devices. I pulled the trigger on a Air 2 fly more used package. Now to register it once it gets here, thanks for the links.

I R Mechanic ;-) ( A&P license holder since 92' ).

This is for sale on helifreak, 48" disc. ( 600 mm main blades ).

Attachments

• beast.jpg
    beast.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
If you are in a boat then you will almost certainly have to hand launch and land/catch the drone.
Try that on dry land firist, if you are successful and comfortable with it try hand launching landing whilst walking or sitting in the back of a truck.
In wind it's hairy enough when stood still on dry land, on a boat it will be worse and there always seem to be wind around a boat lol.
I am not trying to put you off but it isn't everyones cup of tea and a moments inattention or a badly timed gust can leave sore fingers or scars or worse, been there and got the first two.

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world. It appears that you are getting good feedback and can plan on additional support. Wish you well and we look forward to your results.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

If you are in a boat then you will almost certainly have to hand launch and land/catch the drone.
Try that on dry land firist, if you are successful and comfortable with it try hand launching landing whilst walking or sitting in the back of a truck.
In wind it's hairy enough when stood still on dry land, on a boat it will be worse and there always seem to be wind around a boat lol.
I am not trying to put you off but it isn't everyones cup of tea and a moments inattention or a badly timed gust can leave sore fingers or scars or worse, been there and got the first two.
I'll try it a few times while the boat's on the trailer. There's a lake about 7 miles from my house, so maybe we work the bugs out there rather than on the river. The Columbia actually backs up and flows upstream about 60 river miles from the ocean, that said, there's also fishing on anchor and that's really mild.

Welcome to the forum.
Please and do be sure you have read our guidelines.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum.
Please and do be sure you have read our guidelines.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup
Guide lines read, considering the upgrade.

I pulled the trigger on a Air 2 fly more used package. Now to register it once it gets here, thanks for the links.

Thank you for taking the time to read all of my posting. One of the best and fastest ways I used to learn all the in's and out's of my Mini 2 was to check out a bunch of YouTube Videos, check out those for your model.

Great looking copter you have there, unfortunately this site is not the place to sell it, we have a Classified Sub-Forum," but it's only for Drones and Accessories, and the rules require membership for a minimum of 30-days with 10-postings… You still might want to check it out for accessories "you did not know you needed…" ( LoL ) When I am out just "window shopping" and an associate asks if they can help me, I usually reply, "No thanks, I'm just looking for something I didn't know I needed yet…"

And now that you've made your choice, we have a sub-forum with just the Air 2 in mind…

And if you are interested in the doing's in your neighborhood, we also have a sub-forum for you in the "Local and Regional Discussions," under "US - Oregon"

LT -- Signing Off…

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78