DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie with DJI RC controller question.

FrankenCub

Reactions
I'm new to drones and will soon have a new to me Air 2S /RC controller.
I come from a fixed wing background, so am used to pulling back on the stick to raise elevation. It seems drones are opposite.
Is there a way the change that so I don't end up with an expensive mistake? I've watched a few videos and read through the manual and see nothing.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I have that manual and have read page 9. I understand that I can change modes. Mode 2 is used here in the States for fixed wing and drones.
My issue is fixed wing we pull back left stick for the aircraft to go up. Multi rotor you push forward to go up. I would like the change it to match fixed wing. Manual doesn't show that.
Is this not an option I can change?

If one of the custom modes doesn't match your requirements ..... if this is second hand and out of warranty & care refresh and you are 'handy' .... it maybe that you can open the controller and with a bit of soldering etc. physically swap connections to create the arrangement you want.

If one of the custom modes doesn't match your requirements ..... if this is second hand and out of warranty & care refresh and you are 'handy' .... it maybe that you can open the controller and with a bit of soldering etc. physically swap connections to create the arrangement you want.
Ok thank you, was hoping it was a simple software edit. I may consider making the change that way if it bothers me that much. I don't understand why it wouldn't be standard to operate the same as fixed wing. Even helicopters, you pull back on the stick to go up. Just odd to me lol

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
I'm afraid that's not an option.
A friend of mine just sent me a couple videos on this. First video the guy tried to make the asend/decend change and said it would not change. Second video, they guy made the change and it worked.
Guess I'll give it a try as soon as my Air 2s arrives.

A friend of mine just sent me a couple videos on this. First video the guy tried to make the asend/decend change and said it would not change. Second video, they guy made the change and it worked.
Guess I'll give it a try as soon as my Air 2s arrives.
All impossibilities can be made possible... it's just a matter of how far you're prepared to go. It's a fact that DJI doesn't provide your wanted adjustment through the same way that you change RC mode, usually resoldering thing's on their new expensive gadget with unforeseen consequences isn't the first that springs to peoples mind.

Sorry to disappoint you, but there is no way to change that via software. I crashed a Mini2 for that very reason. Trying to avoid birds at very low altitude, my pilot instincts made me pull on the stick to climb but the drone went down in shallow water instead. So be very careful and resist your instincts, you will get used to it. Now, next time you fly an airplane, just don't push to climb !!

I was a long term fixed wing pilot and I made the transition pretty quickly with my first DJI MAVIC. I was concerned as you are initially. I did all my early flying following my “move only one stick at a time” rule. I was doing only still photography initially which kept the need for stick coordination to a minimum. You will be fine. Think of your left hand as the throttle on the plane. Any aircraft will climb if power is increased and vice versa. The left stick is the throttle not the elevator control -if that helps.

One nice thing about drones over fixed wing, if you just let go of the sticks it stops and hovers. And they stop pretty fast, then when you figure out your orientation you simply continue on.

Reactions: FrankenCub
I was a long term fixed wing pilot and I made the transition pretty quickly with my first DJI MAVIC. I was concerned as you are initially. I did all my early flying following my “move only one stick at a time” rule. I was doing only still photography initially which kept the need for stick coordination to a minimum. You will be fine. Think of your left hand as the throttle on the plane. Any aircraft will climb if power is increased and vice versa. The left stick is the throttle not the elevator control -if that helps.
I'll try to get that drilled into my head, throttle up..idle down. I never considered thinking of it as a throttle.

One nice thing about drones over fixed wing, if you just let go of the sticks it stops and hovers. And they stop pretty fast, then when you figure out your orientation you simply continue on.
That is a nice feature, no need to be 2 mistakes high learning a new craft lol.

... I never considered thinking of it as a throttle.
The naming convention of the stick directions is:

Mode 2

Left forward/backwards = Throttle
Left left/right = Rudder

Right forward/backwards = Elevator
Right left/right = Aileron

And the aircraft tilt directions is:

Tilting to left/right side = negative & positive Roll
Tilting to front/rear = negative & positive Pitch
Rotating CCW/CW around AC own vertical axis = negative & positive Yaw

Reactions: FrankenCub

DJI Drone Deals