DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NEXT GENERATION VERTICAL TAKEOFF/LANDING

That’s an Impressive piece of equipment.

Reactions: Hauptmann
I must admit I like the idea of VTOL/hover & wings, for the endurance wings provide if nothing else, but until consumer/flying-camera drones do not need VLOS i.e. suitable safety guards/feature exist and cheaply too, I doubt mega range consumer drones are feasible.
What sort of transmitter would you need to reach out 30km and when, if at all, do you start getting into dangerous levels radiated power?

Reactions: Hauptmann
I must admit I like the idea of VTOL/hover & wings, for the endurance wings provide if nothing else, but until consumer/flying-camera drones do not need VLOS i.e. suitable safety guards/feature exist and cheaply too, I doubt mega range consumer drones are feasible.
What sort of transmitter would you need to reach out 30km and when, if at all, do you start getting into dangerous levels radiated power?

For Public Safety we can get BVLOS built into the COA for certain situations and we can also involve SGI to get an immediate approval if the COA isn't built with one into it. So this could be VERY useful in Wilderness SAR missions.

I'm a ham radio operator, and I've made easy loud and clear contacts from one walkie-talkie to another (FM voice, at 146 MHz) using 5 watts at 60 miles, or about 100km. That only worked because we were both on hilltops with a nearly direct line of sight. Voice doesn't require as much bandwidth as video, of course.

5 watts is generally not dangerous, but it's more than most unlicensed controllers can use. Much more than 5 watts can start to be dangerous for handheld transmitters. If we were all using high power controllers with long ranges, we'd be interfering with one another, so FCC rules limit our transmitter power for that reason as well as for safety.

As long as the rules require naked-eye visual contact with the aircraft, the radio control link won't be much of a problem. If there is any significant amount of dirt between the pilot and the aircraft, then it won't be long before you need more power than you can safely carry close to your body, and the aircraft might require more power to transmit video than it uses to spin the props.

• Wow
Reactions: MavicMan64
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird