DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prediction: AI hardware will be used in a future DJI drone in 2024

this should happen but i dont see it in the near future
and then the S24 AI, there is not much to talk about it, as you may see :)

As I said earlier, we've gone completely bonkers with the term, "AI", and now everything is AI.

None of this is intelligence. We have yet to create a neural network that exhibits characteristics of understanding. What we've done is plenty impressive, but it's interpretive.

Current LLMs can create a picture from a prompt. What they can't do is look at a picture and tell you what it means.

As I said earlier, we've gone completely bonkers with the term, "AI", and now everything is AI.

None of this is intelligence. We have yet to create a neural network that exhibits characteristics of understanding. What we've done is plenty impressive, but it's interpretive.

Current LLMs can create a picture from a prompt. What they can't do is look at a picture and tell you what it means.

That can be said of many humans.

This gets really deep... So diving in...

Yes, it is autocomplete on steroids. I disagree about the "intelligence" involved; by objective intelligence tests, we can prove that these current LLMs pass intelligence tests and can surpass many humans. True Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) may be a year or two away. Maybe the word you're looking for (and why you used quotes) is "conscious"?

The first article you mention asserts that LLMs don't have any understanding of what they are saying. This goes right to philosopher John Searle's famous Chinese Room Argument.

Yes, LLMs consume massive resources, and I think that explains why onboard AI chips are arriving now. It's just like graphics before the invention of MPUs.

I'll end with a voice conversation I had with ChatGPT about consciousness yesterday, while I was driving somewhere. I think it's pretty interesting.

Thanks for the thoughts!
I agree with your sentiments on AI and likewise have had some bizarre philosophical conversations with ChatGPT. I was curious to see yours but the link seems to be broken. Can you fix?

I first encountered AI in the 70s, when I was an agricultural technician. Modern usage seems to refer to a different bull product — but still a bull product. 🤣

In the tech field I've seen several iterations of AI come and go. It's been a good way of separating marks from their money. Maybe this time is different, but I've heard that song many times before…

I first encountered AI in the 70s, when I was an agricultural technician. Modern usage seems to refer to a different bull product — but still a bull product. 🤣

In the tech field I've seen several iterations of AI come and go. It's been a good way of separating marks from their money. Maybe this time is different, but I've heard that song many times before…
Yeah it's different now. However, it is being hijacked so there is that. Everything is loaded with "AI"; you can get an AI-enable pencil. AI is starting to turn out be the new word for "smart" since I guess smart is overused and worn out.

Yeah it's different now. However, it is being hijacked so there is that. Everything is loaded with "AI"; you can get an AI-enable pencil. AI is starting to turn out be the new word for "smart" since I guess smart is overused and worn out.

It's just like in the 90s when the internet started getting big, and every thing had to have "i" in front of it. The iPhone was a decade later, but same thing.

Currently "AI" is mostly a marketing buzzword. And a means of separating investors from their money.

Same animal, different product…

Reactions: maggior
I'm a retired Hollywood cinematographer who's addicted to and fascinated by the image-making branch of AI. Software packages I use include InvokeIA, Fooocus and ComfyUI. Stable Diffusion's "Text to Image" and "Image to Image" are the two main techniques I work with. Text to image lets me create images from text prompts - in other words, my imagination. Image to image lets me modify my own photographic images using the same software.

T2I and I2I both have repeatedly demonstrated to me that these tools have profound and valid skills and knowledge of the cinematographic arts - composition, lighting and camera operating.

"Composition and "Lighting" are self explanatory. "Camera Operating" refers to the skill of smoothly and unobtrusively maintaining and altering composition over time. In other words, flying and aiming the camera.

We already see substantial assistance in these operating skills as provided by several of DJI's innovations, namely "cruise control", "waypoints", "spotlight" and "follow" modes. I have a lot of experience shooting motion picture aerials from helicopters and I can tell you that those aids are invaluable. THANK YOU DJI.

IMHO, It's only a matter of time until the advanced, creative compositional techniques offered by the likes of Stable Diffusion are available in the software we use to control our aircraft. I can't wait.

Reactions: Torque
I'm a retired Hollywood cinematographer who's addicted to and fascinated by the image-making branch of AI. Software packages I use include InvokeIA, Fooocus and ComfyUI. Stable Diffusion's "Text to Image" and "Image to Image" are the two main techniques I work with. Text to image lets me create images from text prompts - in other words, my imagination. Image to image lets me modify my own photographic images using the same software.

T2I and I2I both have repeatedly demonstrated to me that these tools have profound and valid skills and knowledge of the cinematographic arts - composition, lighting and camera operating.

"Composition and "Lighting" are self explanatory. "Camera Operating" refers to the skill of smoothly and unobtrusively maintaining and altering composition over time. In other words, flying and aiming the camera.

We already see substantial assistance in these operating skills as provided by several of DJI's innovations, namely "cruise control", "waypoints", "spotlight" and "follow" modes. I have a lot of experience shooting motion picture aerials from helicopters and I can tell you that those aids are invaluable. THANK YOU DJI.

IMHO, It's only a matter of time until the advanced, creative compositional techniques offered by the likes of Stable Diffusion are available in the software we use to control our aircraft. I can't wait.

Or maybe you give a text prompt to create aerial footage over landmarks and it creates it from scratch, without you having to provide any actual photo or video source content.

That is, you don't even need drone footage to have it create drone footage. You don't even need a drone!

Hell you could have it create aerial footage of the camera orbiting the Eiffel Tower or Big Ben, which you can't do with drones (or not legally at least as these areas have restrictions on drone flights).

Reactions: maggior
I would like to tell my drone to go 50 ft up and make a Figue 8 in cine mode and than make a Santa hat pattern across the sky triggering the camera to flash before the Lightning strikes in the sky.

You see no matter what AI is going to bring , unless you have an Eye for when to send it , and what to look for to take a picture or video , it just wont matter.

Now with that said if my Drone could take off from the Deck at 5:45 and fly down to the lake to capture the Sunset every morning and land back on the deck , upload the pictures so I can see them in the morning , now that would be a game changer, but as the Other OP said , I would be happy just to have a faster sensor.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the water, and take off on its own to search the clouds.

A lot of that is just automation which doesn't require AI, just a command set and timers and a way of creating a "script" of a task. Much like how I have my Linux file server run a script every night to back up files if necessary and deal with adverse conditions like drives being down or networks being unavailable.

Now if you wanted the drone to make a judgement on whether the sunset or sunrise was worthy of being photographed or what is the most esthetically pleasing way to fame the shot, that's a different story. Don't think were are there yet.

Now if you wanted the drone to make a judgement on whether the sunset or sunrise was worthy of being photographed or what is the most esthetically pleasing way to fame the shot, that's a different story. Don't think were are there yet.
Agreed we are not even close to that, yet the first AI-powered drones will likely hit the market next year confusing everyone even more.

Agreed we are not even close to that, yet the first AI-powered drones will likely hit the market next year confusing everyone even more.

Yes, and a manufacturer can also state that the drone has a soul and it would be just as accurate as that "AI" marketing label slapped on it.

Or my new AI powered nailclipper. 😁

This whole discussion has me concerned about the validity of AI - should I cancel my order for an AI enabled cordless electric fork?

Yes, it's a scam, cancel it. They haven't solved the power issues yet.

However, the corded AI electric forks are 100% legit, and will do your taxes for you.

While you eat.

• Haha
Reactions: AlanL
Yes, it's a scam, cancel it. They haven't solved the power issues yet.

However, the corded AI electric forks are 100% legit, and will do your taxes for you.

While you eat.

Power issues even with the extra large battery pack? :eek:

I was doing extra sets with my weight lifting just to handle it too.... <sigh>

I agree with your sentiments on AI and likewise have had some bizarre philosophical conversations with ChatGPT. I was curious to see yours but the link seems to be broken. Can you fix?
Which link is it that seems broken? I've had quite a few interesting conversations with AI lately.

Reactions: Torque
I will be more interested when AI can do Visual line of site for me from the drone.
I expect AI will get much safer than a human who is limited to visual line of sight from operator to drone.

What I want is the ability to fly FPV manually with an AI acting as a safety shield, preventing the drone from crashing into anything no matter what I do, and still letting me get within a hair's breadth of crashing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne