Join Us Now

NFL Stadium Photography article

sar104

Dic mihi solum facta, domina.
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
www.mavicpilots.com
What are the sections he highlighted for this?- Scratch that, moral of the story is there is no flight restriction around stadiums for pre season games. Only regular season and play offs.

I haven't seen this posted on the forum - it's an interesting account of interactions with security and law enforcement.

Yes it's a well written article. Vic is a true professional and a great advocate for our industry. What impresses me about Vic Moss is that he is 100% for our industry and trying to keep Govt from gross over reach but he's also 100% for safe and LEGAL sUAS operations.

What are the sections he highlighted for this?- Scratch that, moral of the story is there is no flight restriction around stadiums for pre season games. Only regular season and play offs.

And we fully expect that to change with the spotlight this article has gleamed.

Funny how the stadium security guy said he couldn't fly over the stadium (understandable as it's against FAA rules anyway, over people), but their carparks and other such property ?
Sure if people were around in the carpark, but then the footpath they flew from had varying pedestrian traffic too.

I wonder if the city administration has any ban on drones operated from their property, and if that might include footpaths ?
City councils here technically are responsible for footpaths, not sure about the US.

Good to have the spotter with him too, fend off inquiries and hand over the NOTAM info.

Thanks for sharing this! I'm usually too afraid to fly in urban areas even though I know and follow the rules. Just too nerve wracking. Good to hear this photographer was so well prepared and was able to form some good relationships with the various law enforcement and stadium management folks who approached him. He got a great shot too. I guess it gives me some confidence to fly when I know I'm within the rules, but I think I'll still just stick to locations way out in the middle of nowhere. Just more relaxing that way. Less chance of the FBI paying me a visit.

Last edited:
Probably the last year of no tfr pre season games.

Not a chance i’d show ID to an nfl security agent, much less let them take photos of it.

Exactly. I'm sure the powers that be are drafting an update to the TFR language as we speak.

This is a really great look into how to conduct a shoot in a difficult area. The photographer did get a great shot, and further, has the ability to come back.

This is a really great look into how to conduct a shoot in a difficult area. The photographer did get a great shot, and further, has the ability to come back.
Not if they immediately close the loop hole, because of all the publicity he generated! It will only increase the market value of the shots he got legally. Clever!

One thing led to another, and the agent, head of security, and I, spent about 15 minutes talking about the different regulations, Aeroscope (the stadium loves theirs),

Interesting to see more and more Aeroscope deployments popping up. I'm glad they are finally getting the means to track down anyone that is violating airspace when a TFR is actually in place.

Interesting to see more and more Aeroscope deployments popping up. I'm glad they are finally getting the means to track down anyone that is violating airspace when a TFR is actually in place.
Aeroscope only works with DJI drones, which, according to DJI, is around 70% of the drone market in the U.S.. The other 30% cannot be tracked by Aeroscope.

Reactions: DavidNDC
Aeroscope only works with DJI drones, which, according to DJI, is around 70% of the drone market in the U.S.. The other 30% cannot be tracked by Aeroscope.

Very true, my bad there. Perhaps what we really need is Remote ID requirements. ;)

Very true, my bad there. Perhaps what we really need is Remote ID requirements. ;)
Now that DJI has effectively saturated the consumer drone market, they have pivoted, and are now selling Aeroscope's DJI drone tracking capability to businesses! Clever strategy!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS