DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NFZ after Irene?

TedS011

Reactions
My mother is very active is orca captivity...or lack there of...or...well whatever, she doesn't like captive orcas. I guess in FL there is a park that has one of these performing orcas. After Irene, the park was a shambles and the activist group was very worried about the captive orca. So, someone not necessarily affiliated with this group, flew a drone above the area to get a shot of the tank. The video was posted and quickly removed and the person who posted cannot be located. I am my mothers "drone guy" so she asked me the laws. Knowing a little bit, I filled her in on the catastrophe issues. Meaning, we cannot fly in/around/over areas where survivor surveillance might be happening (etc). Also, because I am from Ohio, I am not sure where this place might be. Maybe it's close to an airport, etc. My question is about the pilot being MIA and the video being removed. Do you think this guy was told to take the video down? And take it down so quickly after posting? Also if the pilots identify is known, can he/she be arrested for this? Or is this just something that could get you a fine? Thanks in advance.

There is currently no TFR in place in Florida. I'm guessing that there wasn't a real issue but a perceived one by the poster. However, as the FAA notes:

"The FAA warns unauthorized drone operators that they may be subject to significant fines if they interfere with emergency response operations. Many aircraft that are conducting life-saving missions and other critical response and recovery efforts are likely to be flying at low altitudes over areas affected by the storm. Flying a drone without authorization in or near the disaster area may unintentionally disrupt rescue operations and violate federal, state, or local laws and ordinances, even if a Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) is not in place. Allow first responders to save lives and property without interference."

Hurricane Irene was six years ago, so I'm sure any TFRs have expired by now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan