NFZ encounters / Unlocking DJI restrictions

MAvic_South_Oz

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hello Aussie pilots.

2 parts to this.
This post Part 1 - The problem
Next post Part 2 - The solution(s)

Well, I finally got caught by the DJI Flysafe Geo Zone Map, travelling last week to Streaky Bay.
Stopped at Kimba, to have a quick flight of the Silo art there, just one simple strafing / slight arc across them from about top of silo height.

Had a check before leaving home and while there on CASA Opensky and OK2Fly, all good.

I've never been caught up in the DJI Flysafe system, but ready to go and there is NFZ on my controller screen.

Checked on my return and yes, DJI stopped me, when CASA would allow me to fly.
Have seen this a couple of times here on the forum (others problems), once in this thread . . .
Trouble using drone at home . . . and another I couldn't locate around Esperance, which was also fine to fly by CASA apps near one of the uncontrolled airports, but not on the Flysafe map.

So I don't have mobile connection on the mini4, and couldn't justify setting up wifi connection to the phone trying to work out authorisation etc, so just took a phone photo and moved on.

Here is the OK2Fly screen . . .

OK2Fly_Kimba.jpg

Yes, one approach departure is almost in line with the site, but it is well over 6km away, and soft runway for small aircraft (not that this is really, or should be, relevant).

DJI Flysafe Geo Zone Map (3 sections screenshots)

DJI01.jpg
DJI02.jpg
DJI03.jpg
So, the (or one) solution is to get your info / your drone info into the Flysafe unlock system, then it appears pretty easy.
A runt through the 'how to' in next post below.

Reactions: eva2000
Part 2 – Solution

Check the Flysafe Geo Zone Map to see if any restrictions where you wish to fly.
Geo Zone Map - Fly Safe - DJI

If there is, go to . . .
Fly Safe - DJI

Scroll down to Unlocking requests

Login to your DJI account
As (if) you haven’t done this before, you need to set yourself up here first, enter some drone info and pilot info.

Very easy, first it’s Account type (recreational or other), and Country . . . next the Flight Controller serial number has to be taken with drone connected ready to fly, in the GO4 app (not sure about Fly, probably same) click the upper 3 menu dots ( . . . ), click the more info dots bottom of menus (same . . . ) click About.

You will see the Flight controller serial number there.
Enter this, the drone model, and your name for the drone.
Do this for any drones you own and might want to get unlock authorisations for.

Enter Pilot info (account email and name), for most pilots it will be just the one for yourself.

Next, back in the Unlock request area of Flysafe, click new unlock request, read and confirm, zone unlock (easiest in general) or custom unlock, confirm.

Click to add device, FC serial #, and pilot, next . . . scroll in on map where you wish to unlock, click the blue zone concerned, date, and a basic reason for unlock, click submit.

It seems to be 48 hrs unlock given, if outside this you’d have to redo the unlock at new date.

For a check, I just requested an unlock for a mates place at West Beach.
I know this is a total NFZ in the CASA apps, but on the Flysafe map it shows his place in a blue zone, adjacent a total NFZ approach / departure zone.

Flysafe let me unlock it, but obviously I would not fly there . . . best to check BOTH CASA and Flysafe if there is somewhere you REALLY want to fly.

If CASA app says ok to fly somewhere, and Flysafe says no (especially if near an uncontrolled airport), take either as saying NFZ over any approval given by the other.

In general, being able to unlock the blue zones is going to be a big advantage to many pilots, and once set up you can do this within perhaps 5 minutes tops.

The other option, if your drone permits, is to use NLD hacking software.
I was seriously considering this the past few days, my M1P has full NLD compatibility, as this DJI control really irks me.

However if it’s not too much hassle, I will run with the unlock procedure, am giving it a go anyway to see how it works in real life.

Suggest pre trip checks might be wise of any small airports you might be near and wanting to fly, and being able to unlock from site, obviously mobile connection is then necessary.

Not sure if having a pre flight unlock will get you in the air if you have no internet / mobile connection though.

Last edited:
The biggest frustration with DJI. When the regulation authority permits flying, DJI should not be prohibitive - at worst, have a box to check so that as the pilot, you’re advised and accept responsibility. End of story. I’ve struck similar issues living on the edge of a flight path for small unmanned airport.

Found when doing a test unlock for that Kimba site, yes you do need internet connection and get final approval to fly most of those type blue NFZ locations.
Maybe this can also be done on the phone, rather than the flying device (if no mobile connection on that), will have to test some more in real life.
NLD on the M1P and Spark just might be more realistic, no good for later drones though, check their listing for comparability on NFZs and other if interested.
I’m not worried about altitude gains, signal boosts, increased top speeds etc, just flying where I’m legally allowed without overly erroneous imposts from DJI.
I think some later drones allow NFZ override.

Part 2 – Solution

Check the Flysafe Geo Zone Map to see if any restrictions where you wish to fly.
Geo Zone Map - Fly Safe - DJI

If there is, go to . . .
Fly Safe - DJI

Scroll down to Unlocking requests

Login to your DJI account
As (if) you haven’t done this before, you need to set yourself up here first, enter some drone info and pilot info.

Very easy, first it’s Account type (recreational or other), and Country . . . next the Flight Controller serial number has to be taken with drone connected ready to fly, click the upper 3 menu dots ( . . . ), click the more info dots bottom of menus (same . . . ) click About.

You will see the Flight controller serial number there.
Enter this, the drone model, and your name for the drone.
Do this for any drones you own and might want to get unlock authorisations for.

Enter Pilot info (account email and name), for most pilots it will be just the one for yourself.

Next, back in the Unlock request area of Flysafe, click new unlock request, read and confirm, zone unlock (easiest in general) or custom unlock, confirm.

Click to add device, FC serial #, and pilot, next . . . scroll in on map where you wish to unlock, click the blue zone concerned, date, and a basic reason for unlock, click submit.

It seems to be 48 hrs unlock given, if outside this you’d have to redo the unlock at new date.

For a check, I just requested an unlock for a mates place at West Beach.
I know this is a total NFZ in the CASA apps, but on the Flysafe map it shows his place in a blue zone, adjacent a total NFZ approach / departure zone.

Flysafe let me unlock it, but obviously I would not fly there . . . best to check BOTH CASA and Flysafe if there is somewhere you REALLY want to fly.

If CASA app says ok to fly somewhere, and Flysafe says no (especially if near an uncontrolled airport), take either as saying NFZ over any approval given by the other.

In general, being able to unlock the blue zones is going to be a big advantage to many pilots, and once set up you can do this within perhaps 5 minutes tops.

The other option, if your drone permits, is to use NLD hacking software.
I was seriously considering this the past few days, my M1P has full NLD compatibility, as this DJI control really irks me.

However if it’s not too much hassle, I will run with the unlock procedure, am giving it a go anyway to see how it works in real life.

Suggest pre trip checks might be wise of any small airports you might be near and wanting to fly, and being able to unlock from site, obviously mobile connection is then necessary.

Not sure if having a pre flight unlock will get you in the air if you have no internet / mobile connection though.
No limit Drones software is no hassle at all. Drone-Hacks.com software is better though in every way. Easier to use, way more drones supported, and a simple way to adjust multiple hidden parameters that live in your drone. I read your whole posts and can assure you that using either of the software mentioned would not take as long as the process you outline for unlocking via DJI. And, with the hacking software you only have to do it once and you're good to go. FALSEHOODS: The software will void your warranty, you have to jailbreak your phone or iPad, it will keep you from being able to use refresh. All not true.

Can any Aussies tell me if Australia has the weight rule ? I recently got a mini 3 and I seem to have a lot more zones open than with my Mavic , particularly in Sydney CBD . I thought the weight thing was only perinate around airports

Can any Aussies tell me if Australia has the weight rule ? I recently got a mini 3 and I seem to have a lot more zones open than with my Mavic , particularly in Sydney CBD . I thought the weight thing was only perinate around airports

As you mentioned, you should be able to fly closer to controlled airports with sub 250g.

From the CASA website "If your drone weighs more than 250 grams, you must fly at least 5.5 kilometres away from a controlled airport, which generally have a control tower at them."

Other than that, all other drone rules apply the same.

Some of your previous CBD flights were restricted how ?
On the apps only, or the drone wouldn't start, etc ?

It could be the DJI Flysafe Geo map zones are partially coming into play here and there, but they don't differentiate between drone classes or other factors.

I think the sub 250g may come in more to play so once rec fliers are required to get licensed, registered, label their drones etc, that is if CASA choose to follow the other main airspace regulators like FAA and CAA (UK).
Somewhat relaxed ops over people perhaps.

Reactions: 4006448 and ssvdh66
As you mentioned, you should be able to fly closer to controlled airports with sub 250g.

From the CASA website "If your drone weighs more than 250 grams, you must fly at least 5.5 kilometres away from a controlled airport, which generally have a control tower at them."

Other than that, all other drone rules apply the same.

Some of your previous CBD flights were restricted how ?
On the apps only, or the drone wouldn't start, etc ?

It could be the DJI Flysafe Geo map zones are partially coming into play here and there, but they don't differentiate between drone classes or other factors.

I think the sub 250g may come in more to play so once rec fliers are required to get licensed, registered, label their drones etc, that is if CASA choose to follow the other main airspace regulators like FAA and CAA (UK).
Somewhat relaxed ops over people perhaps.
yes , it was the flysafe geo zones ,previously I had flown my Mav 3 in certain areas , or tried to & flysafe wouldn't let me take off . I tried the same areas a few days ago with the mini3 and all I got was a height restriction notice . Thus my question .I tried again with the Mav 3 & still a no-go .Both drones are up to date on the geo-fencing

yes , it was the flysafe geo zones ,previously I had flown my Mav 3 in certain areas , or tried to & flysafe wouldn't let me take off . I tried the same areas a few days ago with the mini3 and all I got was a height restriction notice . Thus my question .I tried again with the Mav 3 & still a no-go .Both drones are up to date on the geo-fencing

Well yes, it might well be able to restrict the 2 drones in ways suited to whatever DJI believe you should be allowed to fly.
It annoys me still they do this, overriding the local airspace authority, but happens so rarely.

Did you ever try the unlock process for the M3 ?

Reactions: ssvdh66
Well yes, it might well be able to restrict the 2 drones in ways suited to whatever DJI believe you should be allowed to fly.
It annoys me still they do this, overriding the local airspace authority, but happens so rarely.

Did you ever try the unlock process for the M3 ?
no , never & don't get me wrong , I'm a very cautious flyer. And I only had the mini in the air for a few seconds (I was on the roof of my home in the CBD) . I was just so shocked it allowed me to take off

no , never

Seems a pain, but most of this is setting up before the actual unlock process (post #2).

If you really want to fly the M3 at a certain place marked as no fly on the DJI Flysafe Geo map, I'd check the day / night before, the do that on the home computer for ease of the process.

I went through it for that site I was barred from and was able to successfully test unlock it for a defined 48hr period.

Reactions: ssvdh66
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom