DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NFZ Limit - just appeared on controller

I think this may help you guys that are in color zones that are not red.I haven’t tried it but it seems to erase all zones that are not red, the red ones for airports will still remain.

Reactions: TR Ganey
I'm grounded at my house due to the blue runway glide slope, and I'm just under 5 miles from the airport. I get imposing altitude restriction where I'm at, but being grounded is ridiculous. There are plenty of tall objects such as trees, houses, residential power distribution that would defy 0ft floor. Heck there's a power distribution line cutting across that glide slope about 1/2 mile from me in the direction of the airport that planes would have to avoid.

I'm grounded at my house due to the blue runway glide slope, and I'm just under 5 miles from the airport. I get imposing altitude restriction where I'm at, but being grounded is ridiculous. There are plenty of tall objects such as trees, houses, residential power distribution that would defy 0ft floor. Heck there's a power distribution line cutting across that glide slope about 1/2 mile from me in the direction of the airport that planes would have to avoid.

Have you tried changing the GEO sittings as per the post above yours?

Does that work for M2? He refers to a P3 which uses a different Go app.
I too have a P3 so I have both apps. They are not interchangeable. The only common point about them is that Go 4 can pull P3 flight records uploaded to DJI, though Go 3 can't pull records uploaded with G4.

Just checked after getting home.
No option in Go 4, at least not with an M2 associated, that lets you turn off GEO.
This even after the 12/5 Go update.
All I get at home is "cannot fly" on the app and "In NFZ" on the RC. No recourse / prompts to do anything that will allow me to fly.

I checked out the first posted video. Turns out we can self-unlock in blue zones. On attempting to take off, I got that prompt if I want to self-unlock, followed the prompts including verifying my account by SMS, and it worked.
About a month ago I got the account verification while at a park, and it errorored out SMS verification. Fortunately then I was able to cancel and still fly.

So in blue, you can still possibly fly but you'll probably need internet and possibly SMS.

USA and EU are major markets for DJI and it is only natural that they trying to shift any liability on the operator to keep pro-creatively government regulators from their back. I don't rely just on the app, before going out I cross-check with several no-fly sources to make my flight plan.
I dont understand this comment. The liability has always been on the drone operator regardless of what controls DJI is trying to put in place. Many just dont want to have their own equipment managed by a foreign entity, particularly a foreign entity with ties to the Chinese government (for which many Western nations do not trust).

Reactions: mnis
I dont understand this comment. The liability has always been on the drone operator regardless of what controls DJI is trying to put in place. Many just dont want to have their own equipment managed by a foreign entity, particularly a foreign entity with ties to the Chinese government (for which many Western nations do not trust).

It might be more accurate to say that they are attempting to protect the consumer sUAS market by proactively including controls.

It might be more accurate to say that they are attempting to protect the consumer sUAS market by proactively including controls.
Maybe so but somewhere there is someone working on a FW/SW hack that will allow you to reprogram your DJI drone and no longer have to ask someone in another country for permission to fly your drone. It is up to us to police ourselves for the future of the hobby. I do not mind a warning/alert coming on the screen but we should be able to over ride/decline any and all of them period. Had I done a better job of researching the drone world before purchasing I would likely not have bought DJI for that reason alone. Now just over 2 weeks into the hobby I own a P4, M2P, and an elcheapo. I will continue to watch, learn and compare.

Reactions: Buddy PR
Maybe so but somewhere there is someone working on a FW/SW hack that will allow you to reprogram your DJI drone and no longer have to ask someone in another country for permission to fly your drone. It is up to us to police ourselves for the future of the hobby. I do not mind a warning/alert coming on the screen but we should be able to over ride/decline any and all of them period. Had I done a better job of researching the drone world before purchasing I would likely not have bought DJI for that reason alone. Now just over 2 weeks into the hobby I own a P4, M2P, and an elcheapo. I will continue to watch, learn and compare.

So are you suggesting that you should be able to fly wherever you like including red zones? I really hope not. And as far as you believing that someone in another country is deciding on where you can fly, wrong again. CASA and other national airspace regulators provide DJI with their maps.

Like I said before this "it's all about me" attitude needs to be somehow totally weeded out of the drone pilot community. Until then the bad apples will continue to spoil it for the rest of us. By all means please continue to watch, learn and compare but, above all else, play by the rules.

If you are in a blue zone, then you can unlock. To get the unlock, you have to attempt to fly to get the prompts. You also probably need internet so it can access your DJI account. It may also want to verify via SMS or credit card.

I understand the sentiment but time and again it's been demonstrated that self-policing is a pipe dream under current regulations in the US. That's already led to the Special Rule being revoked and stricter regulation being imposed. Ultimately I'm pretty sure that hardware/firmware restrictions will be required by law, and continued violation will only hasten that. I'd argue that DJI is actually acting in your best interests by trying to get ahead of that, from a long-term perspective.

So are you suggesting that you should be able to fly wherever you like including red zones? I really hope not. And as far as you believing that someone in another country is deciding on where you can fly, wrong again. CASA and other national airspace regulators provide DJI with their maps.

Like I said before this "it's all about me" attitude needs to be somehow totally weeded out of the drone pilot community. Until then the bad apples will continue to spoil it for the rest of us. By all means please continue to watch, learn and compare but, above all else, play by the rules.

How many times a day do you meet a school bus, public transportation bus, church bus etc as you drive down the highway? If you chose to be wreckless how many people could you possibly kill or injure at one time. How about if you chose to drive on the sidewalk in a busy area of town, how many folks could you kill or injure.

I have a couple motorcycles that are capable of speeds approaching 200mph and the maximum speed limit in my state is 70mph but there is no automatic governor that shuts the bike down at 70mph. Is there an automatic switch on your firearm that won't allow it to fire unless you are in the forest and have it pointed in a safe direction? You can't fix stupid but you can fine it into submission. Lasers pointed into the face of pilots on final approach pose a serious risk to everyone on board as well as everyone on the ground. How often do you hear of that happening these days? It happens but not too often because the authorities took a hard line on that crap a few years back and it has all but stopped. Joe public flying a drone at 400' AGL 2 miles from the end of the runway poses little to no risk to an aircraft. I agree we need to use some common sense but all this BS that's going on is going to do is give someone with the knowledge to create a work around the motive to do it and he will be a rich man. How many folks do you think would be willing to pay a decent chunk of change to get it?

Have you ever been into performance vehicles. Well if you have and especially in the last 20 yrs you'll know that there are certain limits placed in the ECU/ECM for the protection of the vehicle and its systems as well as is occupants. There is a HUGE aftermarket out there for systems to be able to modify everything from the fuel curve, timing, max speed, rev limit etc. Sure your warranty is void and in some states it's even illegal but folks don't care. They modify their ECM/ECU to customize the vehicle the way they like it. Whether you agree with it or not makes no difference. Supply and demand is the rule and when the demand gets large enough it will come. jes my .o2

P.S. For years Suzuki ECM's were easy to crack and the software to reprogram them was free on the internet. Kawasaki's on the other hand ran a totally different ECM that was all but impossible to crack. What did the Kawasaki guys do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that's right they put a Suzuki ECM, sensors, wiring on their bikes and tuned them they way they wanted. Now there are systems out there that can tune the Kaw's so no further need to do that. Where there is a will there is a way.

Reactions: Bulletbling
How many times a day do you meet a school bus, public transportation bus, church bus etc as you drive down the highway? If you chose to be wreckless how many people could you possibly kill or injure at one time. How about if you chose to drive on the sidewalk in a busy area of town, how many folks could you kill or injure.

I have a couple motorcycles that are capable of speeds approaching 200mph and the maximum speed limit in my state is 70mph but there is no automatic governor that shuts the bike down at 70mph. Is there an automatic switch on your firearm that won't allow it to fire unless you are in the forest and have it pointed in a safe direction? You can't fix stupid but you can fine it into submission. Lasers pointed into the face of pilots on final approach pose a serious risk to everyone on board as well as everyone on the ground. How often do you hear of that happening these days? It happens but not too often because the authorities took a hard line on that crap a few years back and it has all but stopped. Joe public flying a drone at 400' AGL 2 miles from the end of the runway poses little to no risk to an aircraft. I agree we need to use some common sense but all this BS that's going on is going to do is give someone with the knowledge to create a work around the motive to do it and he will be a rich man. How many folks do you think would be willing to pay a decent chunk of change to get it?

Have you ever been into performance vehicles. Well if you have and especially in the last 20 yrs you'll know that there are certain limits placed in the ECU/ECM for the protection of the vehicle and its systems as well as is occupants. There is a HUGE aftermarket out there for systems to be able to modify everything from the fuel curve, timing, max speed, rev limit etc. Sure your warranty is void and in some states it's even illegal but folks don't care. They modify their ECM/ECU to customize the vehicle the way they like it. Whether you agree with it or not makes no difference. Supply and demand is the rule and when the demand gets large enough it will come. jes my .o2

P.S. For years Suzuki ECM's were easy to crack and the software to reprogram them was free on the internet. Kawasaki's on the other hand ran a totally different ECM that was all but impossible to crack. What did the Kawasaki guys do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that's right they put a Suzuki ECM, sensors, wiring on their bikes and tuned them they way they wanted. Now there are systems out there that can tune the Kaw's so no further need to do that. Where there is a will there is a way.

For what purpose did you spend all of that time typing the above post? I don't see your point except to state the obvious. From your original post on this thread, I got the idea when reading your statement, "I do not mind a warning/alert coming on the screen but we should be able to over ride/decline any and all of them period ", that you might be one of those "bad apples" I referred to who think that it is their God-given right to do whatever they want regardless of the law.

As for those who develop technology solely for the purpose of rendering inactive legally imposed limiters such as you described - well those guys are nothing more than irresponsible morons who should be locked up. I always have a good laugh when I hear or read about idiots who get caught using those sort of illegal devices.

Reactions: jagraphics
For what purpose did you spend all of that time typing the above post? I don't see your point except to state the obvious. From your original post on this thread, I got the idea when reading your statement, "I do not mind a warning/alert coming on the screen but we should be able to over ride/decline any and all of them period ", that you might be one of those "bad apples" I referred to who think that it is their God-given right to do whatever they want regardless of the law.

As for those who develop technology solely for the purpose of rendering inactive legally imposed limiters such as you described - well those guys are nothing more than irresponsible morons who should be locked up. I always have a good laugh when I hear or read about idiots who get caught using those sort of illegal devices.

I suppose you guys don't race?

Racing here is a pretty big past time and a multi billion dollar industry. Most of us keep our racing on the track but there are always those who will push their luck as with drones or anything else. The point I was attempting to make was that there are plenty of ways to endanger folks and I really think drones are far down the list. Most folks just use drones as toys but others are trying to make a living with them and have no intention of creating a situation where anyone would be injured. Those folks will be the first to pay a hefty premium to get rid of the ability of any company to limit when they can use the equipment they have purchased. Someone will develop a fix.

Seriously? You're still not getting it. Folks who use drones to make a living would be the LAST to want to pay some idiot selling technology that would enable them to break the law. Why would they do something stupid like that and risk having their professional licenses cancelled?

I understand the sentiment but time and again it's been demonstrated that self-policing is a pipe dream under current regulations in the US. That's already led to the Special Rule being revoked and stricter regulation being imposed. Ultimately I'm pretty sure that hardware/firmware restrictions will be required by law, and continued violation will only hasten that. I'd argue that DJI is actually acting in your best interests by trying to get ahead of that, from a long-term perspective.

I won't get too political but it is funny that we allow so many corporations to self-police. But there are fewer of them.

Seriously? You're still not getting it. Folks who use drones to make a living would be the LAST to want to pay some idiot selling technology that would enable them to break the law. Why would they do something stupid like that and risk having their professional licenses cancelled?

Seriously? Your still not getting it. Someone needing to activate their drone for a LOW altitude (read less than a couple hundred feet) job that is in no way going to endanger anything besides a song bird isn't going to hesitate to do what they need to do to get the job done. And who is going to know the flight event took place. If they conducted the flight with X brand drone that doesn't have the restrictions who will know. Unfortunately for some they have to have the government spoon feed them for their like of common sense to fly when and where it is practical while others can make reasonable decisions on their own. I see that you and I are never going to agree on anything except to agree to disagree and that's fine. Just know that I would never knowingly endanger anyone. I've been flying since 1980 and have plenty respect for all aircraft. Have a blessed day sir.

Reactions: Bulletbling
Seriously? Your still not getting it. Someone needing to activate their drone for a LOW altitude (read less than a couple hundred feet) job that is in no way going to endanger anything besides a song bird isn't going to hesitate to do what they need to do to get the job done. And who is going to know the flight event took place. If they conducted the flight with X brand drone that doesn't have the restrictions who will know. Unfortunately for some they have to have the government spoon feed them for their like of common sense to fly when and where it is practical while others can make reasonable decisions on their own. I see that you and I are never going to agree on anything except to agree to disagree and that's fine. Just know that I would never knowingly endanger anyone. I've been flying since 1980 and have plenty respect for all aircraft. Have a blessed day sir.

That theoretical "someone" you used as an example of a "professional" wouldn't last two seconds in the industry simply because they would intentionally break the law for the sake of a few dollars that they could otherwise earn doing legitimate work. Those type of cowboys would at best be hanging around the fringes and would eventually have to go back to selling used cars because no one would hire them.

And it's not about knowingly endangering anyone - ok so you wouldn't do that, that's awesome - good for you. It's about the unintentional incidents that occur when drone pilots ignore the regulations and then get reported in the press - and the press totally loves covering that kind of sensational content - anything to do with drones gets on the front page. Think about the big picture - not just how you or anyone else might find it inconvenient to have to obey the law.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest