DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night flight test - ambient light and vps

Obecny

Reactions
Couple of days ago I did a small test flying over an empty field during the night
it was just after 10pm so not completely dark yet, I had my vps ON, landing was rather easy as usual, no surprise at this point but...

9min flight - no wind at all, perfect weather condition, no strong lights around me - mavic breaking in the air 4-5 times with obstacle avoidance even with nothing around, any ideas ?

second thing, Ambient light too weak ? what it exactly mean? is this related to VPS or to camera ?
I have started recording video before take off, all recorded with no problem to the landing but ambient light too weak every 20 seconds or so.

If I turn off VPS before next night flight test, how easy is to land without vps assistance ?
is there much difference to control during the landing process ? the motors goes off them self when mavic is on the ground ?

Thanks

The Mavic sensors don't "see" well in low light.
The camera will function the same as usual.
Landing will be as usual, although not as accurate as to the exact spot.

9min flight - no wind at all, perfect weather condition, no strong lights around me - mavic breaking in the air 4-5 times with obstacle avoidance even with nothing around, any ideas ?
The OA does not work well at night. Turn it off if your in a open field anyway. No need for it.
second thing, Ambient light too weak ? what it exactly mean? is this related to VPS or to camera ?
I have started recording video before take off, all recorded with no problem to the landing but ambient light too weak every 20 seconds or so.
This is for the OA, telling you that it will not function or function correctly. It needs adequate light.
If I turn off VPS before next night flight test, how easy is to land without vps assistance ?
is there much difference to control during the landing process ? the motors goes off them self when mavic is on the ground ?
You can leave VPS on for landing as it uses sonar not light. Plus you also have the assistance of GPS.

The OA does not work well at night. Turn it off if your in a open field anyway. No need for it.

This is for the OA, telling you that it will not function or function correctly. It needs adequate light.

You can leave VPS on for landing as it uses sonar not light. Plus you also have the assistance of GPS.

Great, thanks very much! I just see someone here on forum experienced some type of hard landing (=crash) as mavic didn't measured the distance to the ground correctly, would be nice to avoid it if possible, if I turn off vps for landing, the full manual landing could be at any point difficult ?

Great, thanks very much! I just see someone here on forum experienced some type of hard landing (=crash) as mavic didn't measured the distance to the ground correctly, would be nice to avoid it if possible, if I turn off vps for landing, the full manual landing could be at any point difficult ?
It depends on your environment and wind conditions. Manually landing the Mavic is relatively easy. If the assisted landing or precise landing option is enabled in the Go App, It will still hover for a moment before descending and landing. If you want full control of the landing, then disable. Keep in mind that there will be prop wash interference, so be swift but gentle during the landing. Once on the ground, hold left stick down for 3 seconds to shut off motors. ;)

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S