DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

North Carolina bans aerial mapping without a surveying license

And just like that, when you need a license or a permit the government can put you out of business in an instant regardless the reason. It's up to the people to push back and stop it from happening especially when the perception is government overreach that isn't safety-related:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And just like that, when you need a license or a permit the government can put you out of business in an instant regardless the reason. It's up to the people to push back and stop it from happening especially when the perception is government overreach that isn't safety-related:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Another "Government bad!" post with no drone content.

Consider posting such things on this Facebook page I found for you instead - United Against Government Overreach.

Reactions: anotherlab
Another "Government bad!" post with no drone content.

Consider posting such things on this Facebook page I found for you instead - United Against Government Overreach.
My point was the more you pile up governments licenses and permits on top of commercial drone work, it's detrimental and starts to becomes a burden with huge risks. Isn't part 107 enough? My goal is to educated and try to bring awareness to commercial drone flyers to oppose this kind of nonsense when you see it.

Wouldn't you say the DJI drone ban is an example of government overreach?

Last edited:
People, unless you are marking property lines or boundaries, drone mapping is NOT surveying. See earlier post where I post response from NC Survey Board. Mapping a fire site, looking for environmental damage is not surveying.

Reactions: anotherlab
Read post number 7 in this thread. Fully explained why drone mapping does not meet definition of surveying per NC Survey Board.

Maybe but its a slippery slope because you may not give legal advice or misrepresent your very narrow scope of experience or services.

You would have to explain this one further. The government tells people all the time what they cannot do without a license. Everything from hunting and fishing to exotic dancing and tattooing.

The YT video shows how a drone can create an aerial map. It does not explain how to create an aerial map which accurately depicts property boundaries which I am thinking is a bright line not to cross.

According to the article, however, the only argument raised is First Amendment right to free speech. That is a tricky case to make for several reasons including we are talking about "commercial" not political speech so it has less protection.
See post number 7

Then share content related to drones, not general "government is bad" posts.
Thank you, I have been sharing videos related to the DJI drone ban. I didn't want anyone to think the government was just picking on drones since they pick on just about everything else in society that they have no business getting involved in. If they stay in their lane, no problems.

Again, the secondary purpose of the video I posted was to let you know "when the government decides there are too many drones in the air and need to clear the airspace for the likes of Fedex, Amazon, and others they will find a reason to suspend or revoke thousands of part 107 licenses at will because you are literally flying at the pleasure of your government. In this video, you can see what it's like to be on the receiving end. The primary purpose of the video is to ask you to resist and push back on any efforts by any other government entity such as state or local who insist you need some type of additional permit or authorization to fly your drone because they "control" the specific purpose you intend to perform. Doing so will put your business at extreme risk and I wanted to make everyone aware it "could" suddenly happen (without good reason) the same way it has happened to others.

This is just my opinion and I thought I would share, totally as an example. The good news is the public can push back if they are strong enough (which I don't think drone pilots are there yet). I don't think "government is bad" because they are needed to perform specific roles which the people have empowered them to do and only the US government can do. Sometimes they get out of their lane and need to be adjusted; I'm just calling that out. US government is good but government overreach is not good and I'm trying to get ahead of what I feel is coming: Drones do hundreds of things and since only the FAA can control the airspace, states will seek to exert control over drones by regulating and permitting the tasks they perform since take off/landing alone won't do it. It's just a matter of time until they figure it out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FollyRJ