DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not as confident in flying anymore - need help

ayoslick

Reactions
Ever since a crash I experienced a few months ago I haven't been as confident when flying my drone after I got it replaced.

I still go out there and I'm able to catch some good footage, I'm just not as risky as before (which may be a good thing). I'm extra careful now and sort of afraid of wind speed or something crashing into my drone and what not at times.

See my other thread to see the full story of the crash from before and please provide any suggestions or tips that may help with gaining that confidence back.

Mavic Pro crash back in May 2017

Reactions: steve masterman
Everyone crashes their drone even people who are more experienced. At this point you just have to fly and take more liberties each time. Baby steps. Happy flying!

Reactions: ayoslick and geigy
Right. I've had this happen too. It's normal, especially after a crash.

Just keep at it and do small steps. One thing I have told beginners is to keep the drone fairly high up - 50 feet or more. There are fewer things to crash into up there. Find a spot that is wide open, with no trees or people, so you can concentrate on flying and not worry about hitting things. Once you are used to flying a certain pattern, I think you will naturally get bored with it and want to expand your horizons.

Also, make sure your phone or tablet is solid. No video lag or blackouts, ever. You have enough to think about without having to screw around with a bad display when your drone is 500 or 1000 feet away!

It's funny, though. Some people could care less, and will fly their drone into a major city, behind buildings etc, and then ask DJI for their money back when it does not return. Better to be the way we are, and a bit overcautious.

Right. I've had this happen too. It's normal, especially after a crash.

Just keep at it and do small steps. One thing I have told beginners is to keep the drone fairly high up - 50 feet or more. There are fewer things to crash into up there. Find a spot that is wide open, with no trees or people, so you can concentrate on flying and not worry about hitting things. Once you are used to flying a certain pattern, I think you will naturally get bored with it and want to expand your horizons.

Also, make sure your phone or tablet is solid. No video lag or blackouts, ever. You have enough to think about without having to screw around with a bad display when your drone is 500 or 1000 feet away!

It's funny, though. Some people could care less, and will fly their drone into a major city, behind buildings etc, and then ask DJI for their money back when it does not return. Better to be the way we are, and a bit overcautious.
I always fly 90 to 200 feet the majority of the time to make sure I clear everything around me. It's not so much of me being afraid to crash into something myself. It's me not having much confidence and trusting my mavic to behave as it should since the last crash wasn't really pilot error, so I think.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard