DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Now What !!!

I buy $1000 drone and now I need a tablet or something because my iPhone 7 Plus screen went dark on me a couple of times. I guess the CPU isn’t strong enough.
Question is, do you think the iPad mini 5 will do the trick or ?
OR just send this back and get the Mavic two, after all I’m going to be close to the same price anyway.
What a ( Mod Removed)calamity man...
I bought a refurbished iPad mini 2 from the Apple store a few years ago and it works with my Spark, Anafi and Mavic Mini.

Started with my iPhone 11 Pro, but wanted a better view. Fly with an iPad Mini 5. Amazing clarity, and the DJI Fly app screen now provides the important data (battery level, etc.) in the black above the flight view. Typically cost $399, not cheap, but a huge jump in clarity.
Oh man, there's another $400 I need to add to my hobby... and another Apple device added to the household....

I buy $1000 drone and now I need a tablet or something because my iPhone 7 Plus screen went dark on me a couple of times. I guess the CPU isn’t strong enough.
OR just send this back and get the Mavic two, after all I’m going to be close to the same price anyway.

You’ll need/want accessories for whatever drone you choose. The M2P combo - comparable to what you bought, is around $1800 US. And you will most likely want a tablet with that too. Its a personal decision. We all have budget limits.

There's a few other threads on here of screen issues. Some options to try:
  • delete fly app, reboot, and reinstall.
  • try a different cable
  • clean the port on the phone
From others posting, the 7 plus should work.

I have heard that heat problems exist on some iPhones. I use an Android Note 8 and a Samsung S5e.

No problems.

The screen didn’t go completely black but it definitely dimmed, it was very hard to see. All my settings are correct on the phone as far as screen brightness and things like that.
I wasn’t even shooting video when it happened either.
I will try deleting and reinstalling the app but a bigger screen sure would be nice anyway so I’m still on the fence about this.

I didn't notice if this was mentioned but I would always select the charge my phone in the app. It has to be set every flight. I think the fly app draws a lot from the battery or at least it does on my 6splus. when the power saver mode kicks in it gets pretty dim. Also I remember reading someplace that when the Iphone is run in high temperatures it goes into some kind of battery saving mode that can't be changed.

It can’t be changed. That’s what we’re talking about. When the iPhone gets too hot the screen dims. There’s nothing you can do about it. I guess it just happens on some phones and not others. I don’t know
My phone had a good charge on it when this happened. Has nothing to do with it.
Still unsure what to do with this POS now !

• Wow
Reactions: Capt KO
It can’t be changed. That’s what we’re talking about.
In flight, most pilots use an app like FOREFLIGHT. It does everything. Besides putting your position on the chart it does so many things important to navigation and safety of flight that it would take many pages to list them all..but..if it senses heat the screen can go black for awhile. People commonly put them on their lap or the seat next to them and sometimes at a very demanding time bingo it's out. I use it on my iphone all the time suction cupped to the windscreen and I can't remember it ever going blank so I think it's more the sun than the temperature.

I use used iPad mini 4. Have 2, one for flight apps and another for marine navigation apps. Under $200 (eBay) and perfect fit. If if only used for flying, 16 GB is enough. If adding much else, 32 GB or more. Can’t beat it for the price and easily updatable. Excepts all current iOS. Added a cheap sun hood which also helps. CELL not necessary. Load maps when WiFi available. I do use a Bluetooth GPS for navigation but not needed for flight unless using “Follow Me mode”. But “Active Track” takes its place.
Enjoy!

BUT I wonder how long that mini 4 is going to last with future updates ya know?
I don’t think deleting the flight app and reinstalling it has much to do with anything but I guess I will try.

I flew mine yesterday with the 7 plus and no problems... I also have caching at its highest setting.

• Wow
Reactions: Capt KO
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo