DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NSW Drone laws - 30m

Fest

Reactions
Hello comrades - I have a question in regards to the CASA laws on keeping a 30m distance from people.
I understand that it's people not involved in flying or navigating the drone... but this law seems to preclude using the drone to take footage of a friend.
Is my reading correct? I was hoping that it said "member of the public" rather than people.
If the subject of the footage give consent, is this then allowed?

Hi Fest

No I'm sorry, C.A.S.A. do not see permission of those being imaged as being a determining factor. It comes down to the Standard Operating Conditions which state that no one not directly involved with the R.P.A. can be within a 30m radius.

Oddly, they can be within 30m on take off as long as they are standing directly behind the aircraft but once it's in the air I guess they are expected to leg it.

Even for an RePL like myself while I can get permission to operate within the 15m while operating under a Remote Operators Certificate with approved risk mitigation detailed in the ReOc the requirements are pretty high and to take it further, while it is technically possible to get "over flight of populous areas" under a RePL and ReOC it's so difficult to obtain as to almost be a "bottomless wallet" excercise.

This is one of the reasons why I keep a Mavic 2 Zoom in the company inventory, so I can maintain the 30m separation and get some decent close ups if I have to.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: mereflyer
Thanks Simmo

It may be superceded but funnily enough was still in the approved question bank as late as November last year and may still be.

It was in my RePL exam for that matter. You figure, I never claimed the documentation made sense, I just learned it to pass the exam ;) I'm sure it'll catch up eventually. In the meantime I'll make a note of that, thanks again!

Regards
Ari

Reactions: Simmo
Hi Ari,
I posed the question to one of my groups over here.
This was the response.
This was available for recreational flyers only until it was completely overridden on 19 Oct 2017 by CASA 96/17.

It’s never applied to commercial operators, so no idea what it’s doing in a RePL exam (unless it was an incorrect choice in a multi-guess exam?).

Hi Again Simmo

*wall of text alert*

No, believe it or not it's actually a correct answer to a multiple choice question (or at least it was at that point, with my training provider) but it's not the only inconsistency in the examinations I've seen. I think it just comes down to the fact that the field is so new and is evolving so quickly that it's difficult at this point to keep up with the changes even for the training providers themselves. Procedures around non controlled aerodromes are a good point, as of 1st 1/4 2018 there were procedures in place as law, then C.A.S.A. scrapped them and placed it all under the "shall not operate in such a way as to endanger aircraft, persons or property" clause there by putting the onus back onto the operator and creating a whole grey area if it does end up in tears. A lot or people who certified before that are still not aware of the change (I still follow the old guidelines anyway as they are safer).

Not being an aviation professional (unless I am considered that now with an RePL and a business? I honestly couldn't say) although I've had many many years of R/C modeling I was certainly in no position to argue with what I was being taught. I just learned what the supplied course notes and one on one training said and it got me a 100% pass so I was happy.

The fact that each training providers produces their own examinations under a ReOC approved by C.A.S.A. can only introduce more scope for inconsistencies. It's a flow on, Have C.A.S.A. changed the approved training framework for proividers to match the new legislation? If so has the training provider checked recently and then changed their examination format to match and had it approved/varied in their training syllabus (that's my understanding of how it works) .. etc on down the line. I suppose that it's possible that some training providers update at a slower rate than others but then again as your work book and exams are forwarded on to C.A.S.A. on course completion that seems unlikely. As I am not a training provider and I get the impression you may be you'd know better than I.

Let's just say my ReOC manuals and proceedures make it very clear "Ari Laver will NOT be operating as a training provider" lol

The AROC was even worse, My first trade was as a Communication Tech and I've held an advanced class amateur ticket for decades and a marine operators certificate of proficiency since the days when you needed C.W. (Morse Code for the rest of you reading lol) at 30WPM, yes that dates me. I ended up as a director for the Wireless Institute of Australia for a while and took part in work with and submissions for the International Telecommunication Commission as it was then so I'm really well across that subject and the number of things taught in the syllabus that are a deviation from the international conventions, not strictly correct or just plain wrong surprised me greatly. The training provider was very open to the feedback and took note of my input to pass on to future trainees but if that's how things are done in Australian Aviation of course the examination answers that get you a pass will be the ones they teach not the ones that are technically correct .... so what do you do? You learn the answers required if you want the certification but keep the reality in the back of your mind.

As I said before, new industry so it's bound to be a little nebulous. As long as there's someone (such as your self) to point out something others have missed and as long as operators understand the licence is a long term commitment to keeping up with the changes eventually it'll have to solidify.

Compared to Canada and the U.K. we have an excellent system already in place so I'm not going to complain.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: Simmo
Thanks for your reply. It certainly does seem strange, but it is what it is I suppose!!
It is disappointing that the teachers, are teaching the wrong information!! What hope do we have to comply with the wrong knowledge instilled in us?!
I too have had my Full Call for more years that I care to mention, and started off in the days of CW too, I think I only had to read and write 10 WPM to get my Novice ticket back then. Swinging my 3 element beam around to face north and switching the old 101 onto 11 mtrs was fun when I was a kid!!!!

I don't blame the training providers, as I understand it and I'm open to being corrected, their programme is based on the CASRs and MOSs in place at the time of the issuance of their ReOC as a Training provider and is specified to a greater or lesser degree in their Manuals and procedures library. If their is a change in legislation I believe they have to get a variance of their ReOC approved before they can change the training plan. That just naturally leads to a delay between legislative changes making their way into the training. Like everything else, it'll be streamlined

I should have pointed out that there was a couple of occasions where my training provider did say something along the lines of "Look, the CASR now states X, but the the purposes of the exam you should give the older answer Y" so they do their best. As I said, your workbook and exam results go back to C.A.S.A. so they know what answers you are giving.

Oh my, Yes bought my first FT-101E brand new in the box at the ripe age of 16 for the princely sum of $675. I was very active for many years in various roles the last one being station manager for City of Brisbane Radio Society until about 5 or so years ago. I've pretty much dropped away from the hobby since then although I keep my licence current. I now find I am doing a lot of tower and antenna inspections for older Amateurs who are getting a bit creaky to be dropping them unless they need to .. funny how one things gels with another!

OK, I guess I've hijacked the thread enough at this point, my apologies Fest!

Regards
Ari
VK4ARI

Reactions: Ray Singcar
hmm, this is a bit of a concern as I've got plenty of drone footage of people doing things. although it's only 9m away so how can they tell if you're 2m or 9m? the wide angle lens on the Mavic can be quite misleading. I might have to add a "drone use" clause to my MR just in case they update the rules in the future.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21