DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NYM vs ATL? (temporary flight restrictions)

BuffsDrone

Reactions
Flying my mini the other day, and got this message: "Nearby Geo Zone under temporary flight restrictions". It gave me two options under "NYM vs ATL", Authorize, or Restricted Zone. I had NO IDEA which to select, and the message occupied most of my screen. Started to panic, cause my signal was fading and I was trying to bring it back. I know what a flight restriction is, but any idea what my two options meant (Authorize, or Restricted)?

TIA!

IMG_7162.jpg

Authorization Zone is for a wider area, not including the area directly over the stadium. Restricted zone is for the stadium itself.

If there is a gameday TFR in place, you shouldn't be flying in either area.

You can check airspace maps like KittyHawk or AirMap to see the affected areas.

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
Thanks for the reply. I was in a strictly residential area, no stadium around at all. So should I have selected Restricted and pressed Confirm?

Thanks for the reply. I was in a strictly residential area, no stadium around at all. So should I have selected Restricted and pressed Confirm?

It's not asking you to select anything - it's an informational message and asking you to confirm that you read it.

Sporting events TFRs extend for 3nm (about 3.5 miles) from the stadium, from 1 hour before the event starts to 1 hour after the end of the event. So you could be legally prohibited from flying even in a residential neighborhood if a stadium is within that distance of you.

Here's the legal language of the TFR: 7/4319 NOTAM Details

Authorization Zone is for a wider area, not including the area directly over the stadium. Restricted zone is for the stadium itself.

If there is a gameday TFR in place, you shouldn't be flying in either area.

You can check airspace maps like KittyHawk or AirMap to see the affected areas.
What game day?... They’re all cancelled.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbtha7467