DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obfuscating Aeroscope

I downloaded the app
And I tried it in my mini 2 and turned it on but I couldn't fly it because I'm in the house
Nothing came up on the map so I waited for it to get a gps signel and still nothing
Am I doing something wrong?
I don't think it works on all quads. There was a chart on which ones it might work with. Seems like it was mav 3 and or mini 3. Or maybe that was something else I read.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoudThunder
I downloaded the app
And I tried it in my mini 2 and turned it on but I couldn't fly it because I'm in the house
Nothing came up on the map so I waited for it to get a gps signel and still nothing
Am I doing something wrong?

Its not designed for Lightbridge/Occusync bands. Uses the phone as a receiver which cant operate there.

Haha, you can't, Aeroscope just listens to all OccuSyinc data around and understands it, you can't deactivate it in any way unless there's a specific option in the firmware that a programmer could change (the guys from dronehacks or dronetweaks maybe).

In the meantime you can switch off the GPS on your mobile, so it doesn't appear on Aeroscope and change the home location just after takeoff to anywhere close where you could control visually or access in case of death of controller/smartphone and RTH.

Your original take off location would still be recorded by the Aeroscope and could be checked afterwards though, but you can effectively lure the peeping Aeroscope/eID drone police/karens to another place.

On the other hand as the GPS of your mobile is off and homepoint location can be move around it renders the Aeroscope "proof" almost useless, because anyone can put the homepoint over your house, for example.

Of course, leave the e-ID number on the app blank.

PS: You can also buy a non DJI drone (Autel, Skydio/Hubsan, etc) wich are not vulerable to Aeroscope... but if you want it to use it professionally sadly it's DJI or DJI.
Hubsan is the only you've listed that doesn't seem to have a forum here or most anywhere. Only remote discussion on this brand is over at rcgroups. Little hard to follow the thread though.

• Wow
Rather than trying to modify or hide your own signal, what about producing a mass amount of false signals?
Have a transmitter that produces random (or at least alternate) signals to appear as though there are more drones in the area, like a lot more.

Granted any line of site would clearly only see your drone but it would at least make things very confusing.

• Sad
Rather than trying to modify or hide your own signal, what about producing a mass amount of false signals?
Good idea, but making this in practice is easier said than done. DJI uses some proprietary signals, so they cannot be transmitted correctly without knowing how to generate them. Also, this is going to severely impact the range and performance of the drone you're flying there currently, it will act like a mini signal jammer, because at that point not many frequencies in the 2.4 and 5.8Ghz will be available.

Rather than trying to modify or hide your own signal,
This New Member, @morearmsthanlegs is a "Funny Guy…" he lists his location at "Point Nemo" which is the most remote place on Earth - the place farthest from land. It is located in the South Pacific Ocean and lies around 2,688 kilometers (1,670 miles) from the nearest land.

So, I would imagine that he does not have many Vigilantes reading his Drone Signals… But I understand that Nemo found him…
nemo.png

Reactions: morearmsthanlegs
Good idea, but making this in practice is easier said than done. DJI uses some proprietary signals, so they cannot be transmitted correctly without knowing how to generate them. Also, this is going to severely impact the range and performance of the drone you're flying there currently, it will act like a mini signal jammer, because at that point not many frequencies in the 2.4 and 5.8Ghz will be available.
Makes sense and I had wondered if it would interfere with your own signals too much.

This New Member, @morearmsthanlegs is a "Funny Guy…" he lists his location at "Point Nemo" which is the most remote place on Earth - the place farthest from land. It is located in the South Pacific Ocean and lies around 2,688 kilometers (1,670 miles) from the nearest land.

So, I would imagine that he does not have many Vigilantes reading his Drone Signals… But I understand that Nemo found him…
View attachment 160311
:)

I am very new. Don't even have either drone yet that I've ordered. Haha.
I do also live in a very rural area, so realistically I wont' have much to worry about anyway. I just don't like how much data can actually be acquired while flying.
I might not have even ordered a DJI had a realized before buying.

Makes sense and I had wondered if it would interfere with your own signals too much.
Yeah, it will interfere. As what the aeroscope does is decode the signals sent between the remote and drone.
Actually, when flying with a friend which also has a DJI drone, we need to stand a couple of meters away from each other, so our signals don't mess up each other's live feed. Now imagine how it will be if a device would be transmitting so many signals to simulate other drones around, that would make the actual drone not get good signal.

I just don't like how much data can actually be acquired while flying.
Same, I mean, who does?
But it's mild compared to the Remote-ID coming to the US in September 2023 (and EU in 2024), which makes anyone with a phone be able to know all the info about the pilot. Infuriating!

I do also live in a very rural area, so realistically I wont' have much to worry about anyway.
Same, I live 80km away from a big airport with aeroscope.
However, in Spain it is a big problem with aeroscope, because it is largely used by the authorities to put big fines to people who just try to take a couple of shots in controlled airspace such as Barcelona. In the US, with the same circumstances you would get a bunch of warnings before getting a fine, but here that's not the case.

As some Spanish pilots say, “if you encounter cops while flying your drone, you will likely hate drones forever”, yeah, even in uncontrolled airspace, where you're allowed to fly, some people (including police) say that you can't fly, just because they don't know and don't hesitate to complain.
If you're curious about this, read this thread where the local police of my area claimed that I can't fly a tinywhoop in the local park, which is 80 km away from any major airports. Or this thread about some angry people taking photos of my drone, claiming I can't fly, and almost following me.

And of course, issues like these will be only incremented when Remote-ID will be a thing, and active in all drones.
Ya hate to see it!

• Wow
I am very new. Don't even have either drone yet that I've ordered. Haha.
If I read that right, you do not yet have a drone yet. Best advice is watch lots of YouTube Videos on the Pluses and Cons of the various drones and then you can decide if a certain option is worth the money.

For example, you say you live in a rural area, if there are lots of trees with full canopies, then having a drone with visual Follow-Me would not make much sense since the drone cannot track you through the Tree tops unless the drone was tracking with WiFi. So you would have to decide which make of drone makes the most sense…

Now, as you say, you live in a rural area and if you can hear the "Guitar/Banjo music" from the movie "Deliverance" then your neighbors might not take kindly to your drone flying over their property and just might shoot your drone down…

And from your Quote, "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery," your neighbors just might consider your drone a government "revenuer…" Drone…

So much

Reactions: morearmsthanlegs
If I read that right, you do not yet have a drone yet. Best advice is watch lots of YouTube Videos on the Pluses and Cons of the various drones and then you can decide if a certain option is worth the money.

For example, you say you live in a rural area, if there are lots of trees with full canopies, then having a drone with visual Follow-Me would not make much sense since the drone cannot track you through the Tree tops unless the drone was tracking with WiFi. So you would have to decide which make of drone makes the most sense…

Now, as you say, you live in a rural area and if you can hear the "Guitar/Banjo music" from the movie "Deliverance" then your neighbors might not take kindly to your drone flying over their property and just might shoot your drone down…

And from your Quote, "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery," your neighbors just might consider your drone a government "revenuer…" Drone…

So much
I wouldn't blame a neighbor if they shot down my drone to be honest. While I DO plan on flying over neighboring property, I don't be flying near their structures or houses. I have had a drone hover quite low over my property and didn't care for it so I'd have the courtesy to not do it to anyone else.

I do live in a wooded area but also live on a lake and hope to use the follow me on trails and on the boat or kayak.

Thank you for the tips. I ordered a Mini 2 to start. If I like it as much as I hope, I'll likely upgrade.
The other I ordered is just a little analog FPV kit for fun.

I'm trying to figure out how to obfuscate Aeroscope as much as possible using available methods.

I'm not doing anything illegal but I'm concerned about my privacy. With the recent discovery that each DJI drone transmits Aeroscope signal unencrypted (including drone location, pilot location, home location, supposedly DJI account info including email address) I'm a bit worried that this will go out of hand. See also DJI insisted drone-tracking AeroScope signals were encrypted — now it admits they aren’t

Plus there you can find many stories on this forum where drone pilots 'got caught' while flying legally.

I currently have a Mavic Air 2 and I use it with the iPhone DJI app. I was thinking about the following measures:
  • Registering a new DJI account with an anonymous email address. Log in on DJI Fly with this anonymous email address.
  • Unbind your drone from your old DJI account, then bind it to your new account.
  • in iPhone, switch off the DJI fly app access to your Location in the Privacy settings. This way, DJI app and drone won't have access to pilot location.
  • Maybe switch on airplane mode on your phone? Although I don't think this will do anything, since location is already denied to DJI fly app
  • When taking off, directly manually change the home location of the drone to somewhere else (but a safe landing spot not too far away)
Disadvantages:
  • You won't be able to see your own location in the DJI Fly app. I use it to point my antenna (remote controller) so you won't be able to do this anymore.
  • Moreover, when your drone flies back to the home location in case of emergency, it will fly to the alternative location.
  • Your DJI account will start from zero again because you register a new email address.

I really hope drone-hacks some day will be able to disable Aeroscope though.

Let me know what you guys think!
MADS TECH on YouTube examined a teardown of an aeroscope unit and reckoned that even though it's DJI proprietary tech, it would still be capable of tracking/identifying Autel, Parrot and Yuneec birds too. Basically, the only way to blindside a receiver network that reads telemetry sent between drone and controller is to not have geospatial info broadcast at all.

This concern over consumer drones being used as Trojan horse surveillance devices for the modern equivalent of Fu-Manchu reminds me of an argument I had with a security director for a water processing site (sewage farm). He insisted that the shots I was taking of a Venetian gothic grade listed building on-site could be used for reconnaissance by evil anarchists hell-bent on destroying civilization. I politely pointed out that if he looked on Google earth, he would find a surprisingly highly detailed 3D SfM model of the whole facility that had been there for at least the last four years.

• Haha
This concern over consumer drones being used as Trojan horse surveillance devices for the modern equivalent of Fu-Manchu reminds me of an argument I had with a security director for a water processing site (sewage farm). He insisted that the shots I was taking of a Venetian gothic grade listed building on-site could be used for reconnaissance by evil anarchists hell-bent on destroying civilization. I politely pointed out that if he looked on Google earth, he would find a surprisingly highly detailed 3D SfM model of the whole facility that had been there for at least the last four years.
And there are much higher-resolution images of most of the world available from commercial sources.

It seems that some folks just love to worry. A friend's father refuses to throw out any paper that has his address on it. He never worried about being listed in a phone book. Another friend obscures his car tag number in photos, despite driving around every day with the tag in plain view.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada