DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Misinformed police trying to claim that I can't fly in my area

Yaros

Reactions
I have been flying drones around the area where I live for 2 years now with no major issues with anyone, well, I guess that changed. I suppose that someone of my neighbors reported me to the police for flying a drone. To clarify, I live in a good to fly zone, it is legal to fly here, it's class G airspace! I mostly fly the mavic, but also fly a tinywhoop in the park sometimes. Yesterday I went to the park to fly the tinywhoop, flew a couple of batteries and walked home. On the way home the police stopped me and asked me what I have in the bag, I said it was a small drone, they immediately claimed that it is illegal to fly drones in this area, I proceeded to disagree with them, they clearly knew nothing about drones, they got my info, after that I opened the Enaire app, which is basically Spanish version of the Airmap and showed them that it is indeed legal to fly in this area, and one of the cops said "so, in all areas that are not marked there are absolutely no restrictions?" at this point I understood that they don't even know the simplest drone laws... I explained to them some basic and most important restrictions, like the max height, VLOS, and similar, also I said in which cases the drone should be registered. After that I asked them why they say it's illegal to fly here, and their response was "because people are getting annoyed by them and call us to get rid of drones", okay, maybe I don't understand something here, but since when is it illegal to fly drones just because people are getting annoyed by them? Like [Language Removed by ADMIN] really!

I haven't flown since then, I will soon, to see what happens. It was my first encounter with the police regarding the drone, and they weren't nice at all while talking to me, I tried to be respectful and calm, but they clearly weren't, and it looked like these drones annoy them very much, because as soon as I told them that I had a drone with me, their attitude changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Noob to drones but when I was doing my research, one article stated I should print out all the local applicable drone laws and carry that with me whenever I fly my drone for this very situation.

I have been flying drones around the area where I live for 2 years now with no major issues with anyone, well, I guess that changed. I suppose that someone of my neighbors reported me to the police for flying a drone. To clarify, I live in a good to fly zone, it is legal to fly here, it's class G airspace! I mostly fly the mavic, but also fly a tinywhoop in the park sometimes. Yesterday I went to the park to fly the tinywhoop, flew a couple of batteries and walked home. On the way home the police stopped me and asked me what I have in the bag, I said it was a small drone, they immediately claimed that it is illegal to fly drones in this area, I proceeded to disagree with them, they clearly knew nothing about drones, they got my info, after that I opened the Enaire app, which is basically Spanish version of the Airmap and showed them that it is indeed legal to fly in this area, and one of the cops said "so, in all areas that are not marked there are absolutely no restrictions?" at this point I understood that they don't even know the simplest drone laws... I explained to them some basic and most important restrictions, like the max height, VLOS, and similar, also I said in which cases the drone should be registered. After that I asked them why they say it's illegal to fly here, and their response was "because people are getting annoyed by them and call us to get rid of drones", okay, maybe I don't understand something here, but since when is it illegal to fly drones just because people are getting annoyed by them? Like, WTF, really!

I haven't flown since then, I will soon, to see what happens. It was my first encounter with the police regarding the drone, and they weren't nice at all while talking to me, I tried to be respectful and calm, but they clearly weren't, and it looked like these drones annoy them very much, because as soon as I told them that I had a drone with me, their attitude changed.
Knowing the FAA and Local laws, staying calm, and articulating your knowledge are the best options.

I asked them why they say it's illegal to fly here, and their response was "because people are getting annoyed by them and call us to get rid of drones", okay, maybe I don't understand something here, but since when is it illegal to fly drones just because people are getting annoyed by them?

It depends on the level of annoyance and whether its for good reason. In US, many states and cities have "nuisance" laws that may be used to limit or prohibit a wide range of activities which may not necessarily be criminal but may unreasonably annoy or disturb people's quiet enjoyment or solitude. Nuisance laws are not usually intended to protect the hypersensitive from every worry or annoyance. Some people who complain may simply be mistaken as to how close or loud the drone was or its flight path.

In the situation you are describing, I would be very calm and cooperative with police, clarify what the concern is, what laws they believe are in play, and what you can do to avoid or minimize problems. My assumption is that, given where you live and fly, you could easily run into that same police officer in the future so even if they were rude its worth it to try and humbly defuse conflcit so you can keep flying and avoid trouble.

I asked them why they say it's illegal to fly here, and their response was "because people are getting annoyed by them and call us to get rid of drones", okay, maybe I don't understand something here, but since when is it illegal to fly drones just because people are getting annoyed by them?

It depends on the level of annoyance and whether its for good reason. In US, many states and cities have "nuisance" laws that may be used to limit or prohibit a wide range of activities which may not necessarily be criminal but may unreasonably annoy or disturb people's quiet enjoyment or solitude. Nuisance laws are not usually intended to protect the hypersensitive from every worry or annoyance. Some people who complain may simply be mistaken as to how close or loud the drone was or its flight path.

In the situation you are describing, I would be very calm and cooperative with police, clarify what the concern is, what laws they believe are in play, and what you can do to avoid or minimize problems. My assumption is that, given where you live and fly, you could easily run into that same police officer in the future so even if they were rude its worth it to try and humbly defuse conflcit so you can keep flying and avoid trouble.
Always try to film any interaction with police. Police have one thing on their mind when talking to someone , what can we arrest them for.

• Angry
Reactions: Ex Coelis
Always try to film any interaction with police. Police have one thing on their mind when talking to someone , what can we arrest them for.

That's total hogwash and rude. That's like someone saying, "Every drone owner is a Peeping Tom and a Pedo". See what happens when you paint with such a wide brush?

First post Gordon ?
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, a bit wide a brush used there.
Not sure where you are located, but sure, we saw a lot of over the top policing during covid, especially in the police state of Victoria.
Premier empowerment at its finest.

Anyway, @Yaros this is a perfect time to interact with the local police at perhaps a local station.
You've seen the FAA type guidelines that were being shown on some of the posts on another thread ?
Maybe you can adapt to suit Spain's drone rules etc, and print it out to take to the police station, talk to the supervisor, tell him you were made to feel uncomfortable etc, totally unwarranted by the officers, but you understand their position due lack of knowledge . . . and you're there to clear it up !

I'll try and find that thread and post links for you . . .

Here it is, only a couple of pages so easy to read through, you could glean various tidbits through the replies . . .

Reactions: Yaros and 4006448
That's total hogwash and rude. That's like someone saying, "Every drone owner is a Peeping Tom and a Pedo". See what happens when you paint with such a wide brush?
You have not interacted with many police. When police are talking to you they are looking for a reason to arrest you. Drone flyer or not. If police approach about any drone flying please video the conversation with them.

• Angry
Reactions: Ex Coelis
You have not interacted with many police. When police are talking to you they are looking for a reason to arrest you. Drone flyer or not. If police approach about any drone flying please video the conversation with them.
I have interacted with police and in truth I would say that is not their thinking, in fact some have gone out of their way to help on more than one occasion.
Of course if you give them 'sass' they, like everyone else, may reciprocate. Then again it is possible you have met only bad ones.....just as there are good and bad drone flyers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4006448
Of course if you give them 'sass' they, like everyone else, may reciprocate.

You'd be surprised just how tolerant many new police members can be.
They cop a HECK of a time from drunks and tough guys here, I'm not kidding, they get called every name under the sun, told to 'get lost' but not so kindly, you see these things on the news, youtube vids, the reality police shows.
I'm amazed sometimes what they put up with, most of the offenders need that proverbial size 12 in the rear end to set them straight, but the PC (politically correct) times we live in prevent it.
I couldn't do what they do, or put up with it, I'd go ballistic and end up in trouble :p

I have generally had nothing but good interactions with the police, al be it very seldom . . . in fact thinking about it I'd say I've probably interacted with them maybe 2 or 3 times in my life !!
Last one was a traffic accident, my first in 42 years driving, not at fault still, and no one was hurt, but the other party was cut from their vehicle.
Police were great.

I've seen politicians empower police during covid to enforce the most ridiculous rules, honestly 2 old ladies on a park bench, one officer sneakily snatches ones phone from behind ? They are arrested or moved on, cant recall.
Fining biz 10's or thousands for patrons not adhering to this rule or that, out of their control really.

What do they say ?
Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Even then like anything in life, I'd say it's a small % of any group that causes 99% of such controversies.

Last time I interacted with police I was flying a drone to film a parade to thank the soldiers who ran a long term care home during the first wave of Covid.

They (the police) were mostly concerned with whether I got decent camera angles. :cool:

Old white guy, so admittedly the demographic least likely to get hassled.

Reactions: GFields and eva2000

LOL! You're making some horribly incorrect assumptions. To be honest, I don't think you could have said a more INCORRECT statement if you tried to. You are absolutely, 100%, without a doubt WRONG WRONG WRONG.

I have "interacted" with police literally hundreds of times over the years. In my early years it was not "voluntary" interactions to say the least. I've absolutely been on the pointed end of the stick more times than I care to admit in public. Each and EVERY time I had those encounters I was polite and didn't try to assume I knew more than they did about whatever it was I had done wrong or what they assumed I had done wrong. Sometimes I was able to walk away with a verbal warning, sometimes a written citation, and more than I'll say here, I walked away with some nice chrome wrist jewelry. I've had WAY more interactions from that aspect than I should have.

Thank goodness I had a change of heart (aka lifestyle) and I now work WITH local Law Enforcement, State Law Enforcement, and occasionally Federal Law Enforcement. I spend a good portion of my time "interacting" with police across the southeastern US so I would say I have a "Fair" understanding of how police interact and their thought processes are.

Your broad and rude comments aren't helping boost your reputation on the boards. Take some time to read and learn more about members before you go off half cocked making horribly wrong assumptions.

Every encounter I have had with Law Enforcement has been a good experience. I was flying in a local park one day and two police officers approached me and asked me what was I doing. After I explained, they got close enough to see my monitor and one of them ask me if he could fly it lol. Turns out, I gave him my business card and he eventually bought one and I trained him how to fly and use the camera, etc

This was in my early years of flying and when I lived in St. Louis MO

Reactions: eva2000 and BigAl07
I’m a retired federal & State sworn officer and your full of BS.
Another words a troll.
I have been flying drones around the area where I live for 2 years now with no major issues with anyone, well, I guess that changed. I suppose that someone of my neighbors reported me to the police for flying a drone. To clarify, I live in a good to fly zone, it is legal to fly here, it's class G airspace! I mostly fly the mavic, but also fly a tinywhoop in the park sometimes. Yesterday I went to the park to fly the tinywhoop, flew a couple of batteries and walked home. On the way home the police stopped me and asked me what I have in the bag, I said it was a small drone, they immediately claimed that it is illegal to fly drones in this area, I proceeded to disagree with them, they clearly knew nothing about drones, they got my info, after that I opened the Enaire app, which is basically Spanish version of the Airmap and showed them that it is indeed legal to fly in this area, and one of the cops said "so, in all areas that are not marked there are absolutely no restrictions?" at this point I understood that they don't even know the simplest drone laws... I explained to them some basic and most important restrictions, like the max height, VLOS, and similar, also I said in which cases the drone should be registered. After that I asked them why they say it's illegal to fly here, and their response was "because people are getting annoyed by them and call us to get rid of drones", okay, maybe I don't understand something here, but since when is it illegal to fly drones just because people are getting annoyed by them? Like [Language Removed by ADMIN] really!

Just because you can don’t mean you should. If you don’t have any common sense you don’t need to be flying.
The most of you people that have problems with LE bring it on yourself’s .

Reactions: GFields and Starz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S