DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle avoidance - Bypass

sinbrad

Reactions
Ok, took my ma2 out for maiden flight since latest update and setting for OA was bypass. Where previously, the location at work had no problems I now get an erratic flight. If I fly the drone sideways it flys at the speed I expect but forward, reverse and at roughly a couple of meters from the ground the ma2 seems to be picking up every surrounding building which is causing the erratic flying and also caused the controller to continuously beep! I know for bypass it needs to detect close range objects but this is ridiculous?

I too took mine out for the first time since update yesterday. Had no issues at all. I think and correct me if I'm wrong that the bypass only turns off sideways movement and other sensors are still active. I didn't actually try this out as was flying in the peak district and mostly at altitude.
Just a thought put in in brake mode and see if it does anything different. Will be trying these settings out myself at the weekend
Cheers Mel

Reactions: sinbrad
With "Safety Assistance" on and "Obstacle Avoidance Action" set to ""Bypass" mode the aircraft will automatically attempt to fly around an object (horizontal or vertical) in front or rear if flying backwards. So chances are this erratic flight behavior you describe is due to the "Bypass" being on. This would instruct the aircraft to alter flight path, regardless of any stick input except forward and backward, should there be the risk of collision with an object.
SafetyAssistanceIndicator.jpg

Reactions: Mel 08
With "Safety Assistance" on and "Obstacle Avoidance Action" set to ""Bypass" mode the aircraft will automatically attempt to fly around an object (horizontal or vertical) in front or rear if flying backwards. So chances are this erratic flight behavior you describe is due to the "Bypass" being on. This would instruct the aircraft to alter flight path, regardless of any stick input except forward and backward, should there be the risk of collision with an object.
View attachment 112763

Yes, I fully understand the principle of OA but I am in a large yard at work and there is clearance to the drone of at least 5 metres front and back but at this distance the ma2 is behaving like I described. I can understand if the ma2 is approaching an obstacle but 5 metres away front and back shouldn't make the ma2 behave like it is? If I am approaching a building then I would expect the ma2 just to do its thing and inclrease in altitude or steer around until it clears but it isn't even getting as far as that. I will try and get a video taken of the situation tomorrow and post it on youtube

So....I've been flying about 6 months and during the last month I have been attempting to master Quick Shot / Circle mode, etc. I saw the message earlier but didn't quite comprehend its meaning until the last week. "Obstacle avoidance unavailable while flying sideways." So, is that the reality or is there any adjustment I can make???? Essentially, a great feature but only effective is aircraft is flying straight?????

I think it's a two edged sword problem. You want the drone to see things as far away as possible so it can avoid at higher speeds. I've notice in a few recent updates the drone is a little bit more squirrelly coming in for a landing - I do test flights from a covered patio area, launching from a table - makes precision landing techniques a required art. But APAS is seeing a cone in front of the drone, not a flat triangular zone. It will see a fence you are higher than as it comes up to it. And somewhere I think I read APAS is working out to 50 44 meters.

There were a couple other oddities with maintaining altitude, too. What should have been straight and level flights the drone was dropping some 15 to 20 feet, yet saying it was maintaining altitude. A quirk for sure, but a few tests and seems it was related to APAS (not confirmed). I just updated to the latest and greatest and will be testing this again in a few days.

ps: looked up the specs:

Vision System​

• Forward​

• Precision Measurement Range: 0.35-22.0 m
    Detection Range: 0.35 to 44 m
    Effective Sensing Speed: 12 m/s
    Field of View (FOV):
    71° (horizontal), 56° (vertical)

Last edited:
Reactions: fredyt123
So....I've been flying about 6 months and during the last month I have been attempting to master Quick Shot / Circle mode, etc. I saw the message earlier but didn't quite comprehend its meaning until the last week. "Obstacle avoidance unavailable while flying sideways." So, is that the reality or is there any adjustment I can make???? Essentially, a great feature but only effective is aircraft is flying straight?????
The Air2 doesn't have side vision sensors. So sliding sideways you are on your own, and same for making upwards vertical moves, no eyes looking up, either.

Also -- keep in mind the vision system won't see small tree branches, wires, clear glass, etc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChickenOverload