DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle avoidance

Tom25

Reactions
I was wondering if obstacle avoidance would kick in if it detects a moving object like a train approaching at close range that could potentially hit the low flying drone that was hovering to capture the moving train? Luckily, I was a foot or so above the locomotives, but wow, scary. I will never do that again. But it got me thinking about OA.

I'm guessing the answer is NO, and as a pilot keep your drone out of arms way of moving trains. Which is did, with about a foot to spare. If that.

I have to think that the obstacle avoidance would be limited to objects close to your drone, not approaching vehicles. If the sensors reacted more than a few feet away you couldn't fly near anything. And a moving object at speed? Only a foot to spare? When did you figure out how close you were and how did you react?

I was wondering if obstacle avoidance would kick in if it detects a moving object like a train approaching at close range that could potentially hit the low flying drone that was hovering to capture the moving train? Luckily, I was a foot or so above the locomotives, but wow, scary. I will never do that again. But it got me thinking about OA.

I'm guessing the answer is NO, and as a pilot keep your drone out of arms way of moving trains. Which is did, with about a foot to spare. If that.
Got a video of this, I'd like to see a close encounter with a train!

OA can only work up to a certain speed. It's effectiveness probably depends mostly on what the closing speed is.

Well the OA has to react while the AC is moving, which can be as much as 20mph or more depending on model.

The M2 OA detects obstacles as far as 16ft, and reacts at 6ft.

Well the OA has to react while the AC is moving, which can be as much as 20mph or more depending on model.

Given the drone was hovering at the time, and the train was likely approaching at about 25 MPH I'm guessing OA would of been disabled in this particular situation. Luckily, the drone didn't get taken out that day by the train.

Thanks. This is really good information to know. Are these the numbers for all models of DJI that have OA?

I have to think that the obstacle avoidance would be limited to objects close to your drone, not approaching vehicles. If the sensors reacted more than a few feet away you couldn't fly near anything. And a moving object at speed? Only a foot to spare? When did you figure out how close you were and how did you react?
Sounds like a response from the Star Trek character Spook. LOL But the info in spot on. Thanks

So thinking about this OA thing, I know when I fly up to close to something the drone will stop. What if the drone is hovering and something approaches it, then what.. looks like I have an experiment to try.

So thinking about this OA thing, I know when I fly up to close to something the drone will stop. What if the drone is hovering and something approaches it, then what.. looks like I have an experiment to try.
If slow enough it should react. Let your drone hover a few feet off the ground and put your hand underneath. You will see it rise up as a reaction. I suppose it would be similar with the f/r and side sensors, but I imagine it would depend on the speed of the object coming toward it, providing enough time to sense it as a threat and then reacting.

If slow enough it should react. Let your drone hover a few feet off the ground and put your hand underneath. You will see it rise up as a reaction. I suppose it would be similar with the f/r and side sensors, but I imagine it would depend on the speed of the object coming toward it, providing enough time to sense it as a threat and then reacting.
I'm thinking I'm going to let it hover and then walk up to it and see what it does... will it retreat or just sit there?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31