DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacles avoidance "Bypass" Speed!!!

Maersk65

Reactions
Have noticed after yesterday RC FW update my mini 3 pro go crazy fast when I set the obstacles avoidance to "Bypass"...so dangerous if you are not looking or unaware!!?
Did anybody noticed this or is it just me?

Appreciate your finding before contacting support...

the forwards speed is controlled by which mode you are in and how much stick movement you make in a particular direction,are you saying its faster in Cini mode

the forwards speed is controlled by which mode you are in and how much stick movement you make in a particular direction,are you saying its faster in Cini mode
Hi and thanks for your reply, Not in Cini but in normal mode, have noticed this ... I just watched a YouTube video by "Ian in London" which is interesting about the different settings EXP and Advance Gimbal Settings posted here in the forum which I'm going to play with and see if I can fix this crazy fast speed like drunken driver on a motorway 😂😂😂

Reactions: old man mavic
Have noticed after yesterday RC FW update my mini 3 pro go crazy fast when I set the obstacles avoidance to "Bypass"...so dangerous if you are not looking or unaware!!?
Did anybody noticed this or is it just me?

Appreciate your finding before contacting support...
What speeds are you achieving in Normal and Sport modes? I've had my Mini 3 for a week and haven't upgraded FW yet. I was out flying early this morning and thought it was a little slow in normal mode.

What speeds are you achieving in Normal and Sport modes? I've had my Mini 3 for a week and haven't upgraded FW yet. I was out flying early this morning and thought it was a little slow in normal mode.
Sorry vindibona, I wasn't talking about the 3 modes speed (C/P/S). I'm wondering about the obstacles avoidance setting called Bypass. When I choose this the drone somehow act dangerous weird with its speed ( very fast and jerky... Try it and see if u have this on your side...

Bypass mode seems to make controls more sensitive/jerky even if its not detecting an object. It seems to ignore the standard settings regardless of mode.

@Maersk65 having read your latest post #5 above ,i think i understand more what you are referring to ,this was an issue with the Mavic 3 when it was first introduced ,and it is similar with the Mini 3 pro as well
its more pronounced if you move the drone left to right in Bypass mode ,compared to brake mode ,this has been like this from the first firmware release,and i think its part of the drones ability to avoid obstacle's, i find its better to use brake when flying the drone manually ,it can be adjusted using the expo settings menu to lessen the response the drone makes to a given stick input

Reactions: Maersk65
@Maersk65 having read your latest post #5 above ,i think i understand more what you are referring to ,this was an issue with the Mavic 3 when it was first introduced ,and it is similar with the Mini 3 pro as well
its more pronounced if you move the drone left to right in Bypass mode ,compared to brake mode ,this has been like this from the first firmware release,and i think its part of the drones ability to avoid obstacle's, i find its better to use brake when flying the drone manually ,it can be adjusted using the expo settings menu to lessen the response the drone makes to a given stick input
Thank you so much for your confirmation and advice...I'm glad it's well known issue and nothing to do with my mini ,🤣
Thanks again feeling much better now...

Bypass mode seems to make controls more sensitive/jerky even if its not detecting an object. It seems to ignore the standard settings regardless of mode.
Thank you Cymru... You think DJI do something about this as it's really nice and useful setting but scared the xxxx out of me 1st time 🤣...So fast and the sideways movement even scary as my back garden very narrow and trees on both sides ☹️☹️

@Maersk65 ,my take on the bypass setting and the ability for the sideways movement to be to be stopped when using ,bypass, is because its primary function is for use in auto modes, where stick input is minimal ,it has to be very sensitive to react to obstacles as the drone flies ,so as to enable the drone to react in time to avoid such obstacles
in affect bypass is taking over from the pilot, to either move around or over an obstacle when going forwards or backwards , and when sideways stick movement is switched off, it prevents the pilot from making an error ,by overcompensating to avoid obstacles,

Reactions: Maersk65
@Maersk65 ,my take on the bypass setting and the ability for the sideways movement to be to be stopped when using ,bypass, is because its primary function is for use in auto modes, where stick input is minimal ,it has to be very sensitive to react to obstacles as the drone flies ,so as to enable the drone to react in time to avoid such obstacles
in affect bypass is taking over from the pilot, to either move around or over an obstacle when going forwards or backwards , and when sideways stick movement is switched off, it prevents the pilot from making an error ,by overcompensating to avoid obstacles,
Now I can see and understand the point of this setting... BUT, I don't think I will touch it again 🤔🤔

I have had the MIni 3 for a week. What is bypass mode and where do you find it?

I have had the MIni 3 for a week. What is bypass mode and where do you find it?
After using the Mini 3 for a few flights or many, it's a good idea to re-read the manual. We all learn more each time thru.
Bypass and Brake are part of the APAS Obstacle Avoidance System. Here's pages 27 and 28 of the manual.

APAS-Page 27_28.jpg

Reactions: MavicMike55
After using the Mini 3 for a few flights or many, it's a good idea to re-read the manual. We all learn more each time thru.
Bypass and Brake are part of the APAS Obstacle Avoidance System. Here's pages 27 and 28 of the manual.

View attachment 152022
I did read the manual and knew about APAS. The word "bypass" is mentioned once. I just thought of it as turning off APAS rather than "bypassing". I have APAS on my M2P and don't recall the term "bypass". I guess it's a technical term.

Pge 54 of the manual, under Fly app settings. This changes the behaviour of the OA system from Bypass, goes around/over/under obstacle. Brake stops when obstacle sensed. Off gives pilot complete control wit no OA.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-20 11.58.22 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-20 11.58.22 AM.png
    290.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Personally I find the bypass setting causes erratic behavior as noted, and setting to brake is my solution. it will allow me to navigate obstacles, and still brake if I mess up flying in direction of sensors. Maybe after flying without sensors on my mini, and being a control freak, I don’t depend on sensors for avoiding obstacles lol. happy flying!

Reactions: TTP
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13