DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official DJI Response to the GPS Issue

More non stop M3 bashing.
Hello, maybe you should read the post and what I replied to more carefully. I was trying to tone DOWN how bad some folks claim it to be. And you are the 2nd person to beat me up for it.

One was pointing out I apparently wasn’t bashing DJI enough and another said I’m bashing DJI to much.

One thing that is crystal clear, DJI has put M3 owners at each other throats.

Reactions: EpicFlight
Hello, maybe you should read the post and what I replied to more carefully. I was trying to tone DOWN how bad some folks claim it to be. And you are the 2nd person to beat me up for it.

One was pointing out I apparently wasn’t bashing DJI enough and another said I’m bashing DJI to much.

One thing that is crystal clear, DJI has put M3 owners at each other throats.
I read it

Hi all, like most I have been suffering with the same GPS issues taking minutes to acquire position etc..

See attached image with DJI support recommendations, i went to a known good location for GPS reception.

I went through the recommendations and can confirm it resolved my problem with GPS and home point confirmation within seconds.

I then went to another location and once again home point confirmation within seconds.

Hope this helps some of you.

Attachments

• 9CE03B5F-8B79-4A9A-9C43-068E6B45DEEF.jpeg
    9CE03B5F-8B79-4A9A-9C43-068E6B45DEEF.jpeg
    461.1 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: MaxE1955!
Hi all, like most I have been suffering with the same GPS issues taking minutes to acquire position etc..

See attached image with DJI support recommendations, i went to a known good location for GPS reception.

I went through the recommendations and can confirm it resolved my problem with GPS and home point confirmation within seconds.

I then went to another location and once again home point confirmation within seconds.

Hope this helps some of you.
Bear in mind that, regardless of how long the first GNSS lock takes, subsequently powering up the drone within a short period of time (2, 3, 4 hours, that order of magnitude) and within a short distance of the previous location will allow the drone to utilize cached data from the previous GNSS lock, giving you a much faster subsequent GNSS lock, 10-30 seconds.

Reading those steps, especially "5 - restart the aircraft", you're pretty much guaranteed to get a fast GNSS lock at that point no matter WHAT you did before, if it previously just acquired that lock, say during the IMU calibration step or while you were waiting for "strong GPS".

If you could return to those same locations, at about the same time of day after not flying for a few hours, and then time the home point confirmation, that would give you and us a better indication of any actual improvement, vs any assisted improvement you saw from cached data. Good luck!

Reactions: GadgetGuy and Meta4
Bear in mind that, regardless of how long the first GNSS lock takes, subsequently powering up the drone within a short period of time (2, 3, 4 hours, that order of magnitude) and within a short distance of the previous location will allow the drone to utilize cached data from the previous GNSS lock, giving you a much faster subsequent GNSS lock, 10-30 seconds.

Reading those steps, especially "5 - restart the aircraft", you're pretty much guaranteed to get a fast GNSS lock at that point no matter WHAT you did before, if it previously just acquired that lock, say during the IMU calibration step or while you were waiting for "strong GPS".

If you could return to those same locations, at about the same time of day after not flying for a few hours, and then time the home point confirmation, that would give you and us a better indication of any actual improvement, vs any assisted improvement you saw from cached data. Good luck!
Same time of day is meaningless.

Hi, I drove five miles away to a known area (2nd area) where I’ve had difficulty beforehand.

Hopefully the weather is due to improve tomorrow so will be able to try other locations.

Reactions: beermat
Dear Santa, that’s BS! Are the other drones inaccurate? I think not. DJI owes us a fix on this issue.
Message from dji regarding GPS delay, nothing to do with HW or glonass

Attachments

• AB4710AD-51B8-42B8-9220-E801E530AD55.jpeg
    AB4710AD-51B8-42B8-9220-E801E530AD55.jpeg
    738.9 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: Suren
Alright folks.... we are going down a path in this thread that is NOT acceptable. Feel free to debate all you like but be NICE and don't make it personal. If you find "Being Nice" to be that difficult then maybe refrain from posting in this thread at ALL! If it continues there will be actions taken that might not be as "Nice" as you'd like.

This may be the first factual bit of information from DJI.
1643906094093.png

My experience with the problem has been intermittent, and it makes sense that (with network) or (without network) might affect this, as I may or may not have fired up my hotspot device before a flight - depending on whether I expect to have to unlock a GEO zone.

I will now pay closer attention to see if there is a correlation.

Message from dji regarding GPS delay, nothing to do with HW or glonass

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Why? I know why it's significantly meaningful, wondering why you think it's meaningless?
Because same time day to day with respect to GPS is meaningless. Sats don’t rise and set with the sun.

Because same time day to day with respect to GPS is meaningless. Sats don’t rise and set with the sun.
LOL. Technically, you are correct in stating they don't rise and set with the sun - they (generally) rise and set relative to a location TWICE a day. Almost every GNSS satellite orbits the Earth over a period of approximately 12 hours. They are not geostationary. The satellite positions, and the specific satellites in view, changes pretty drastically over just a couple of hours, and if you look up HDOP and GDOP, you'll see why this is very important to accepting the accuracy of a reported position. It's likely that the "GPS Signal Strength" reported by the Fly app is based on HDOP or GDOP, too; that's a guess, but plausible.

Last edited:
I just did everything I've seen DJI recommend to help the problem. I reflashed the firmware with the DJI Assistant 2 app, deleted and reinstalled the Fly app, recalibrated both the compass and the IMU. It's not linking to the satellites any faster, but I am getting more of them when I connect; 15-20 vs 12. Out of all those things I tried, calibrating the IMU seemed to be the thing that got me more satellites.

What do you mean by an area where you've had difficulty before?
Do you mean somewhere that a substantial part of the sky is blocked by tree cover or buildings etc?
Hi, partial built up area. Previous on one flight it took over two minutes, other two flights longer.

Although overall satellites count was still low flux between 11 and 13 it still acquired lock in seconds compared to my visit last week.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929