DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Okay, I need opinions on MA2 SC!

I bought my MA2 a couple of months ago, sprang for the Fly More combo.
Now the DJI Smart Controller is MA2 Compatible, should I sell one of the kids and buy the SC? Just so you don't think I'm cruel it would be one of the smaller, uglier kids.

I would like to hear your honest opinion.
Are they worth the $750.00 (sorry just threw up in my mouth abut) bucks.

Thank you in advance.

I was/am exactly in the same situation as you. Well, almost.....I bought my MA2 in May, and it was my first what I would consider expensive drone purchase at about $1000 all in. I had used a $250 drone prior, and started using it more and more, but at that price point there is no gimbel, and the controller/drone communication was wifi-based, so the range was a small fraction of what the MA2’s is.

Those limitations meant I couldn’t fly it very far snd the quality of whatever video or stills I took was pretty horrible.

In any case, to address our question, I’ve found it annoying to use my mobile device, which is an iPhone 11. To get the best range DJI and others will suggest turning off wifi, Bluetooth, and cellular signals, and more than once I’ve missed a call or text I didn’t want to miss.

As you seem to feel, I felt the price tag was higher than it what was needed to make it a no-brainer purchase.

However, I live in the Boston area, and last weekend I was up in New Hampshire hiking with my son, and we got a beautiful day. So beautiful, that the sun was very bright at the top of the 2 hour hike that led us to the peak of a smaller mountain in the New Hampshire lakes region. And so I could barely see my screen. That, and my son understandably wanted to do something while I was messing around, and naturally that was take pictures, but of course he couldn’t do that.

That’s the preamble - I bought it when I got back. I’ve had it for a few days. It’s phenomenal I must say. It’s so easy. My iPhone case is one of those ones that covers the screen (it’s brown leather), and I used to need to switch cases every time. I can’t say why, but my MA2 is also going further without signal degradation, more in line with what’s advertised (though I haven’t actually pushed it that far).

So, yes expensive no doubt. But these drones are already expensive, so I have no buyers remorse. The cheap route had not been taken the moment I bought the drone.

It’s way more convenient, the flying experience is more fun, using the functionality of the drone for shots or videos is easier. I’m no longer worried I’m missing an important call or whatever. It makes the experience better, no doubt about it.

Go for it!

Reactions: EricJT
I am glad you are willing to pay $800 for just a controller.. I do not plan on owning a fleet of drones, if I did, and they could all be managed with one controller and I could afford the $3000 or so for the other drones, I probably would not have any issue buying an SC.. Perhaps for you and the minority of pilots that own and fly multiple drones, its a good deal... Its just not for everyone.... have a great day (if its not too windy or raining)

In my experience in 35 years of flying R/C and 6 years flying "Drones" the minority are people that only have one aircraft. Following threads for over 4 years on another forum of people that own DJI..the majority have at least two if not more. As for cost, this isn't a budget hobby from my view and never has been from my observations.

My P3P alone I have invested at least $3000 into. I have another $2000+ just in buying my latest a M2Z. Both Machines have strengths and weakness, so in order to have the most capable aircraft for the job or for pleasure one has to have multiple aircraft or miss out at some point. I own/owned P3P, P4, MP1 and M2Z, all different in what they offered or could do given different scenarios.

Just following threads here on MP, the on and on posting about when DJI were going to release update for the MA2 shows that the SC is highly sought after investment and a good bit of people that bought the MA2 are owners of Multiple DJI purchases. I came from a 9.7" iPad Pro ($800+ alone) using a factory remote. While the iPad is big it isn't worth a crap in the sun and barely in the shade. I bought a top of the line Shade/visor for it and looked like some sort of colossal movie rig. The SC is small, powerful, and while the screen is 5.5" the brightness makes it so easy to see (And I wear 3.5+ readers normally) I can boot and fly in under 30 seconds, not sure why at this point I would need to...but I can :p

A new M2 remote ran for around $400, a 5.5" CrystalSky another $500. That is all combined into the SC, and with a bigger feature set. So yeah factoring in on the math you save $250 in buying a SC. The MA2 controller is running only $150 new so there isn't going to be much offset if DJI bundles it (SC) with a MA2, but I suspect soon they will probably offer it anyway.

But let's face it some just don't have the money or interest in the hobby and with everything going on with C-19..it's a wonder we can afford anything. Ironically I managed to save the money for my new setup in one month as I was quarantined. So the SC isn't for everyone but compared to DJI's other top of the line remote Cendence, it is a bargain comparatively at well over half the cost. I myself couldn't see not flying with it and am a very happy and satisfied owner. YMMV :)

Last edited:
The Answer is if you have 2 or more drones that can take advantage of it than YES .
You can split cost and sell both controllers from the other drones. No brainer.

Most of us that have the Smart Controller have it for fast get up and go and so we can keep our phones to record and take calls.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Float on water.
I hear you, unfortunately I have just the one drone. It would be great to access my phone when needed, like to order pixza
The processing power of the SC is rather low as can be seen from the jerky video feed demonstrated below. Quite a lot of problems have been reported including WiFi connection, software crashing and etc. Definitely not worth the high price. It's only advantage is that it has got a cooling fan inside so the screen wont get dim due to high temperature. I sold mine just after 2 months of use. Happy with my stock RC + iphone 11 pro

You are the first I've heard of to report low processing for the SC! I've have had some jerky videos myself with my standard RC, I don't know if that is one of the problems. I use my Samsung Note 10+ with my RC which gives me a great picture and pricessing
I was/am exactly in the same situation as you. Well, almost.....I bought my MA2 in May, and it was my first what I would consider expensive drone purchase at about $1000 all in. I had used a $250 drone prior, and started using it more and more, but at that price point there is no gimbel, and the controller/drone communication was wifi-based, so the range was a small fraction of what the MA2’s is.

Those limitations meant I couldn’t fly it very far snd the quality of whatever video or stills I took was pretty horrible.

In any case, to address our question, I’ve found it annoying to use my mobile device, which is an iPhone 11. To get the best range DJI and others will suggest turning off wifi, Bluetooth, and cellular signals, and more than once I’ve missed a call or text I didn’t want to miss.

As you seem to feel, I felt the price tag was higher than it what was needed to make it a no-brainer purchase.

However, I live in the Boston area, and last weekend I was up in New Hampshire hiking with my son, and we got a beautiful day. So beautiful, that the sun was very bright at the top of the 2 hour hike that led us to the peak of a smaller mountain in the New Hampshire lakes region. And so I could barely see my screen. That, and my son understandably wanted to do something while I was messing around, and naturally that was take pictures, but of course he couldn’t do that.

That’s the preamble - I bought it when I got back. I’ve had it for a few days. It’s phenomenal I must say. It’s so easy. My iPhone case is one of those ones that covers the screen (it’s brown leather), and I used to need to switch cases every time. I can’t say why, but my MA2 is also going further without signal degradation, more in line with what’s advertised (though I haven’t actually pushed it that far).

So, yes expensive no doubt. But these drones are already expensive, so I have no buyers remorse. The cheap route had not been taken the moment I bought the drone.

It’s way more convenient, the flying experience is more fun, using the functionality of the drone for shots or videos is easier. I’m no longer worried I’m missing an important call or whatever. It makes the experience better, no doubt about it.

Go for it!
Thanks for your reply and comments!
Your right our experiences are very similar bought an inexpensive $200 toy drone, loved flying it but fair to poor videos and photos. I still have it so my grandkids can fly it.
I've had pretty good results with my original remote, I've flown it a mile away had good connection the entire time. I would love to be able to use my phone while I fly, you know to order pizza or something.
You have made me consider buying one more seriously. Just have to decide which grandkid to sell.

Thanks again.

I think that its way overpriced, considering that reportedly, it's been included at extra cost bundled for Pro's at a seemingly significant reduction in price, I am assuming these bundles removed the original remote for the SC, but only added a couple hundred or so to the cost of the bundle..

Hopefully a new generation of the SC will become available soon with more power, and a more reasonable price to start with... Which of course might frost current owners, but it's not the first time a new generation of a product would cost less than the original.
Thanks for replying. We could only hope that DJI will up date the Smart Controller and hopefully reduce the price.
It would be nice to have but it costs almost as much as the drone itself.

Good luck!

At the moment the Smart Controller is compatible with the MP2 Pro/Zoom, P4P V2.0 and the MA2

All of these drones use the Ocusync 2.0 transmission system.
The longevity of the SC will depend on how many future DJI drones will use Ocusync 2.0.
If the MP3 is released with Ocusync 3.0, it's probably not a good investment.

The trade off with the brighter SC screen is the screen size is only 5.5in, some text is awfully small.

Now if they made a 8in SC that would be quite interesting
Thanks for your comments!
Yea, my cell phone screen is over an inch larger and has a very bright screen. Up dating SC and Ocusync could posse an upgrade problem for us.
Good hearing from you!

A bigger screen along with added power, would be a good upgrade.. While 8" might be pushing it, 6" or 6.5" would be good...

Course, there is no current evidence that I am aware of that DJI is making a new generation SC, it seems on the surface, that it would be a good investment for DJI to upgrade it. The current generation is probably getting CPU and maybe memory starved. But you never know until rumors or an announcement appears,..
Good comments. 8" maybe a stretch 6"-6.5" could be possible.
DJI has their hands full with upgrades for their other drones I'm sure.
Thanks for replying!

This is where the Smart Controller shines:''

Not once has the smart Controller ever crashed on me on the app. , the entire time we flew the Mavic 2 in some Harsh Weather, its abilities to handle the Rain and Snow is outstanding as well as flying in extreme cold temps.

View attachment 114102

Hooking up to a large screen is really easy. Use it all the time to check for good video and pictures. We use the Large TV and you can use a Camera Monitor if you have one with your Camera.

The only thing we dont use is the Live Stream and Sharing Photos to much.

View attachment 114101

There is no faster way of getting up in the Air for Search and Rescue or just catching the timing of the events.

View attachment 114103

This works really well.

Now you can do some of it with your phone but the Smart Controller offer the lease hassle and offer convenience which has a Price.
Thanks for your reply!
Is good to know that it's very reliable in adverse conditions and getting up in the air quicker would be a plus. What audio capabilities does it have?
I appreciate your comments!

I jumped the gun, at first glance I thought that was going to read if you have two or more kids sell one ;)
I can't sell my kids, but I think I could arrange to sell one for the right price (have to split it with the parents).

I like using the SC. to me it was worth it.
- Compute power - 6 core processor roughly equivalent to a Mini 5. Runs dronelink fine where a Mini 4 can not.
- Display - Brighter than most phones and bright enough. No normal display will hold up in full sunlight, but with SC you don't need deep shade - just a little.
-Display Size - my vision is not that great but I have no problem with it. If it was much bigger then you would either have short battery life or need a bigger battery - it would cost more and y'all'd be whining "It's too heavy" As it is it fits nicely in your hands, a bigger display would change that.
-Price - I purchased mine with my M2P and while some of you seem to think you get a better price you forgot that you are not getting the standard RC which for the M2P runs 400.00 new so that is not true.
-Convenience - Very nice to just grab and fly - only one battery to worry about, no loose cables or holder a bracket. And it has good battery life.
-Occusync 3.0 or whatever - It's a protocol and a firmware upgrade can add it. When the internet switched over to TLS 1.3 and ECC certs did you need a new computer?

For me the only downside has been that some third party apps don't run on it (but the ones you most likely need do), and that DJI can't seem to do a proper update procedure for it . Most likely it does not have the latest security patches, but since I never load questionable app on it and do not do any financial transaction or even crusie the web, not an issue for me.

Just make sure you only buy this strap - it's amazing the thing just sits level. Pricey? Yes but worth it:

Thanks for replying!
Obviously your a fan, I really like hearing from flyers that have positive experiences with their remotes. Sounds like you know your stuff, and no I did not need a new computer after the internet switch up, I get your point.
Thanks for the info about the neck strap, I have a good one for my original remote that works very well.
Thanks again!

My last 2 cents on the SC... it seems like a very good self contained controller.. No one is going to convince me that its worth the cost of a new drone kit.. I can see why some really like it that have the $$ to burn on one....

If and when DJI sees fit to make a better one with a larger screen perhaps for a more reasonable price, I'd consider one..

However flying with a 8" tablet works great that can be found for less than 1/2 the cost.. the only real advantage as I see it is saving the minute of setup time to install the tablet on the controller and connect the cable.. The extra brightness I am sure is nice, but as long as I can find ways to see the tablet screen effectively, its not a big deal.
Good points, money is always an issue I don't spend it freely (I worked hard for it)

Good luck! Thanks.

Sell the kid to medical science!
The MA2 is just great with the SC - it's one of the greatest firmware updates of all time, in my view.
Even If I only had the MA2 I would definitively get the SC asap. When you have it you will understand why: no cable hassle, no tablet/phone fiddling for flying, HDMI out makes it possible to use an external display such as FPV goggles, fast startup even if you need to switch between Mavics, and more. The SC has, for a somebody like myself, so many features that it is a must-have item. Espcially useful if you have a mavic 2 as well as an MA2 but if you can afford it its a no-brainer.
Alright! Know of good research labs?
I have the kid picked out.
You know half the time I forget to plug in the cable to my phone until after I have mounted it on the remote, it's a pain.
Just one drone, no real need for another in the immediate future.
But still could be a big help.
Thanks, I appreciate your comments.

Alright! Know of good research labs?
I have the kid picked out.
You know half the time I forget to plug in the cable to my phone until after I have mounted it on the remote, it's a pain.
Just one drone, no real need for another in the immediate future.
But still could be a big help.
Thanks, I appreciate your comments.
To have to use phone or tablet for flying seems so inconvenient when you get used to the SC. Its one of my all-time favorite gadgets.
It is a decent videoplayer as well, supports most formats, so can be used as a nifty portable player for all types of video as long as the file has stereo sound, no surround. The HDMI out makes it usable in most situations incl. hotels, displays at work and so on.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I don’t have one and I’ve frankly never understood the appeal. Essentially it’s $700 to have a controller that has a built in screen on it.. I get the convenience factor and all, but for $700? I just don’t really think the cost/benefit ratio is in line with my sensibilities.

The Air 2 controller is already very good, and with the new top mount and cable storage system, it’s really not all that much to me to connect my phone. iPhone 11, super nice screen, super stable with the app,.. ??‍♂️. Just doesn’t make sense to me to get the SC..

I don’t have one and I’ve frankly never understood the appeal. Essentially it’s $700 to have a controller that has a built in screen on it.. I get the convenience factor and all, but for $700? I just don’t really think the cost/benefit ratio is in line with my sensibilities.

The Air 2 controller is already very good, and with the new top mount and cable storage system, it’s really not all that much to me to connect my phone. iPhone 11, super nice screen, super stable with the app,.. ??‍♂️. Just doesn’t make sense to me to get the SC..
It's one of those things - until you've tried you just don't get it.
As for not understanding the appeal did you read the thread? I get that you don't agree but surely now you at least understand.

I bought my MA2 a couple of months ago, sprang for the Fly More combo.
Now the DJI Smart Controller is MA2 Compatible, should I sell one of the kids and buy the SC? Just so you don't think I'm cruel it would be one of the smaller, uglier kids.

I would like to hear your honest opinion.
Are they worth the $750.00 (sorry just threw up in my mouth a little) bucks.

Thank you in advance.
[/QUOTEyou might need to though in some $ if you trade the ugly one?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet