DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Okay, now that the Mini 3 Pro has officially been released. Will you buy it?

Not convinced about that. Admittedly there's very little direct image/video samples out so far to test but DPReview has images to play with.

The f/1.7 is giving very noticeable loss of sharpness in the corner and quite significant shadow noise which id expect from that sort of sensor.
I can see me having to crop the edges quite a lot as per mavic 1. Not a huge fan of 4:3 either - i find 3:2 much easier native.
DR doesn't look great but thats harder to measure.

I was hoping the video quality might be better than the M2P purely due to the advertised increased bit rate. M2P 100mbps really does see compression artefacts, stutter and so on. 150mbps in theory should be a lot better *IF* it uses that bit rate for all modes. Without real world samples to look at the metadata the jury is still out.

The very few available video samples so far seem to show some intraframe flicker (the M1 had a lot of this) and pulsing on areas like foreground foliage. Quite if thats a real problem or a result of youtube compression and conversions again i don't know.

Ultimately though i can likely get acceptable images in places and areas where previously i couldnt legally get anything at all. Im not after a M2P replacement - i want a lightweight, restriction free complement to it.

I'm curious how many of you are interested in this drone.

Specs list:

Intro Video:
My mini 1 hasn’t broken yet. So maybe in a couple years.

@Cymru
Yeah, let's wait a bit further to see more comparisons.
4:3 is also a thing I really don't like that much, coming from SLR, 3:2 has burnt into my brain - luckily exactly the same AR that the M2P has. 😆

Probably not.

I'm in the US, so the 250g limit is less critical.

While the Air 2S has some advantages, unless you plan to grade or need 5k video, the two are comparable in quality, with the Mini 3 having the edge in low light.

So, having a Mini 2 and an Air 2S, I don't see any gain for me to replace my Mini 2, or add to the squadron. I'd be parting with a good chunk of cash for basically no gain.

I'll wait for the Air 3, which undoubtedly will blow the Mini 3 out of the water.

1.3" dual ISO sensor, 5k/120 anyone? 😁

Reactions: crash3x
Ultimately though i can likely get acceptable images in places and areas where previously i couldnt legally get anything at all. Im not after a M2P replacement - i want a lightweight, restriction free complement to it.
That sums up my thoughts although I have until the middle of next month to decide so will have a good think about it.

I've had a look at the DPreview samples and found the same as you, not as good as the 1in sensor which is to be expected but still better than the smaller 1/2.3in sensor.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Maybe realise that not everyone on youtube (i) has a clue what they're on about (ii) no inbuilt bias and on top of that, most are after clicks and money.

Its the least reliable source of accurate information imaginable.

Maybe realise that not everyone on youtube (i) has a clue what they're on about (ii) no inbuilt bias and on top of that, most are after clicks and money.

Its the least reliable source of accurate information imaginable.
Youtube is just a platform for content which can be anyone from amateurs to professionals, there's plenty of useless information just as there's lots of useful and accurate information. It's difficult to find reviewers I trust these days although it's increasingly not the large, professional sites, the Mavic 3 reviews were quite enlightening between those who highlighted the many missing features at launch and the surprising number that didn't.

I'm leaning to cancelling my Mini 3 order at the moment as currently on holiday and been using the Mavic 2 Pro quite a bit. It's been a struggle with wind and dynamic range which I think the Mini 3 would have a harder time with and even though it would be legal, I don't think I'd fly near people anyway as I don't like the few confrontations I've had when flying entirely legally. I've been thinking instead maybe I should try rejigging my backpack setup to make the M2P possible to carry with a camera, even considered a smart controller but in addition to being incredibly expensive it's also now completely unsupported as well.

I'm curious how many of you are interested in this drone.

Specs list:

Intro Video:
As soon as I win the Lottery, I would buy. Not until.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661