DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Old Trafford

Rlf1992

Reactions
Good afternoon,

I am a pfco holder and fly a M2P. I have just contacted MUFC to gain permission to fly near Old Trafford to create a video. They replied saying that OT is a strict no fly zone, but according to Drone Assist and the DJI app it is not. I was also under the impression that they do not own the airspace over OT so not giving permission just means i can not take off on there land, and as long as i contacted Manchester ATC/CAA for approval to fly there it would be ok?

Thank you in advance.

First off WELCOME to the forum :)

You should seek legal counsel on this and not risk your UAS, Bank Account, and potentially Freedom asking a question about potentially INTENTIONALLY breaking a law.

Here's my 2-cents:
  • You recognize that MUFC has some type of authority there or you would not have requested permission to begin with. When they gave you the answer you did NOT want you are now questioning their authority to overfly the area.
  • Don't take on this battle unless you KNOW you're RIGHT and you are WILLING to put up the time & $$ to go to battle over it.
  • Remember we are all "Internet Experts" here with lots of ideas, opinions, and "known facts" but when the rubber hits the road none of us are going to be there to go to court to defend your case if this goes south for you.

Is it REALLY worth it?

Allen

Good afternoon,

I am a pfco holder and fly a M2P. I have just contacted MUFC to gain permission to fly near Old Trafford to create a video. They replied saying that OT is a strict no fly zone, but according to Drone Assist and the DJI app it is not. I was also under the impression that they do not own the airspace over OT so not giving permission just means i can not take off on there land, and as long as i contacted Manchester ATC/CAA for approval to fly there it would be ok?

Thank you in advance.
You can't fly over during match play. However you can get the shots like DeHea while off travel time. The own property an can refuse that you lift off or touch down on MUFC property. Double check the local authorities and see if you can take flight in a public location. And launch from public location and land the same. As long as you are not flying over a packed Reds Stadium you should be fine. Manchester is Red! Glory glory Man United ......

Reactions: Rlf1992
First off WELCOME to the forum :)

You should seek legal counsel on this and not risk your UAS, Bank Account, and potentially Freedom asking a question about potentially INTENTIONALLY breaking a law.

Here's my 2-cents:
  • You recognize that MUFC has some type of authority there or you would not have requested permission to begin with. When they gave you the answer you did NOT want you are now questioning their authority to overfly the area.
  • Don't take on this battle unless you KNOW you're RIGHT and you are WILLING to put up the time & $$ to go to battle over it.
  • Remember we are all "Internet Experts" here with lots of ideas, opinions, and "known facts" but when the rubber hits the road none of us are going to be there to go to court to defend your case if this goes south for you.

Is it REALLY worth it?

Allen
That's answered my question for me. I wasn't planning on intentionally breaking the law, as i was never going to do it after they refused permission. I just wanted a bit of clarification about whats what, and you've given me that.

Thanks again,

Ryan.

Asking authorities for clarification whether it has to do with the trademark of the Old Trattford or not operating on property. Double checking with local authorities or city ordinances can't hurt if you are interested in clarification on the specifications and communicate to them you are simply looking for clarification and understanding the particular parameters of the particular do's and don't. The should be content that you are looking for verification from them rather than going along doing as you wish.

Asking authorities for clarification whether it has to do with the trademark of the Old Trattford or not operating on property. Double checking with local authorities or city ordinances can't hurt if you are interested in clarification on the specifications and communicate to them you are simply looking for clarification and understanding the particular parameters of the particular do's and don't. The should be content that you are looking for verification from them rather than going along doing as you wish.
Brilliant, thanks very much! I will do that, thanks for the reply.

Good afternoon,

Thank you in advance.
Did you check any maps showing flight restriction areas where you intended to fly?
Is there any Dji restrictions showing in that area?
I can reach both Celtic park and Ibrox with my little drone but ANY map I look at says they are no-go sites!
Welcome to the forum by the way! Stay safe! Fly happy!

Did you check any maps showing flight restriction areas where you intended to fly?
Is there any Dji restrictions showing in that area?
I can reach both Celtic park and Ibrox with my little drone but ANY map I look at says they are no-go sites!
Welcome to the forum by the way! Stay safe! Fly happy!

Neither Celtic Park nor Ibrox are no-go sites as regards to the airspace.

(Ibrox is near to but not in the airport restriction zone).

So provided you can abide by all the other rules of your drone category, you can fly over them.

Good afternoon,

Thank you in advance.

Old Trafford as far as airspace is concerned is not a restricted zone.

1615488561112.png

Provided you can abide by whatever permissions you have as part of your PfCO (distance from people etc) then yes you can fly there. You won't be allowed to take off or land from their property but overflight is fine provided the rest of the CAP is followed.

Neither Celtic Park nor Ibrox are no-go sites as regards to the airspace.

(Ibrox is near to but not in the airport restriction zone).

So provided you can abide by all the other rules of your drone category, you can fly over them.
Thanks for that info Cymru. I have downloaded the app and set up an account. I will have to go back into my net history and look at the maps that showed me Ibrox and Parkhead as no-go areas.
Incidentally, I believe there are 2 heliports near Glasgow City centre which do not seem to appear on Altitude Angel maps. Or maybe I'm just not operating it right. Anyway, thanks again. Stay safe!

Old Trafford as far as airspace is concerned is not a restricted zone.

View attachment 125530

Provided you can abide by whatever permissions you have as part of your PfCO (distance from people etc) then yes you can fly there. You won't be allowed to take off or land from their property but overflight is fine provided the rest of the CAP is followed.
Thanks for the clarification, Cymru! Like the name! I wont fly as they denied permission, but glad its been clarified now and that i was on the right track and know where i stand with it all.

Diolch!

Incidentally, I believe there are 2 heliports near Glasgow City centre which do not seem to appear on Altitude Angel maps. Or maybe I'm just not operating it right. Anyway, thanks again. Stay safe!
Altitude Angel is the official data provider for the NATs Drone Assist app so its the nearest thing to the official source you'll get.
The main issue is its confusing with filters (people tend to have TMAs and other airspace on which show as red but aren't actually restricted).
Certainly never ever rely on DJIs own map - it misses out huge amounts of restrictions.

If the AA/Drone Assist combined with a check of NOTAM show the airspace is clear then you're clearly to fly there *provided* the restrictions imposed by your drone EASA category can be followed.

Takeoff/land/controlling from property is a different thing again and that will generally require landowner permission if its private.

If you're concerned about a helipad, it never hurts to give them a ring before flying.

Reactions: Yogi053
Thanks for the clarification, Cymru! Like the name! I wont fly as they denied permission, but glad its been clarified now and that i was on the right track and know where i stand with it all.

Diolch!
Without knowing what permissions your PfCO has (or the area), to me it looks like a flight over the river is perfectly fine provided there's a handy launch point in the area.

Good afternoon,

Thank you in advance.
I notice that Bristol City football field and Gloucestershire Cricket club have just been made no fly zones on altitude angel app

I notice that Bristol City football field and Gloucestershire Cricket club have just been made no fly zones on altitude angel app
1615559205659.png

Neither are showing as restriction zones on the AA website or NATs Drone Assist.

The only warning is a ground hazard for possible large numbers of pedestrians.

Altitude Angel is the official data provider for the NATs Drone Assist app so its the nearest thing to the official source you'll get.
The main issue is its confusing with filters (people tend to have TMAs and other airspace on which show as red but aren't actually restricted).
Certainly never ever rely on DJIs own map - it misses out huge amounts of restrictions.

If the AA/Drone Assist combined with a check of NOTAM show the airspace is clear then you're clearly to fly there *provided* the restrictions imposed by your drone EASA category can be followed.

Takeoff/land/controlling from property is a different thing again and that will generally require landowner permission if its private.

If you're concerned about a helipad, it never hurts to give them a ring before flying.
I believe one of the helipads is for the Police! I will not be ringing them for advice. The less contact I have with them the better. lol.

i was looking to do the same thing and contacted Manchester airport they have stated it is not in their air space therefore i don't need permission as my drone is sub 250g and i wont be flying it over 400ft there is no restrictions

I believe one of the helipads is for the Police! I will not be ringing them for advice. The less contact I have with them the better. lol.
I'd argue the opposite. The more information they have about your plan the less likely they are to turn up if someone calls or reports it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31