DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

OMG! A Mini Nightmare!

SpinRush

Reactions
I think the propellers on the Mavic Mini ( Changing ) is going to be a deal breaker for new drone pilots.

If I hadn’t gone through all the pre-flight safety checks, my Mavic Mini would be all busted up right now.

I changed the propellers out the night before it’s maiden flight. The purpose of this change was to make the blades more visible. After completing all the firmware updates, I spun the device up while in the house. The propellers are black and once they start spinning, they are very hard to see.

Changing the propellers literally [Language removed by Admin]. My standard house light even at it’s brightest settings did not give me enough light. I brought over more LED lamps just to see what I was doing. Taking off propellers is a breeze. You are going to throw away those screws anyway.

Putting on new propellers is a [Language removed by Admin]. I have hands like Dr. Strange after his accident. Magnetizing that tiny Phillips screwdriver helps. Anyway, I get frustrated doing tasks that involve itty bitty tiny screws. Then, there’s the fear of overlocking or striping the screw. I finished it.

The next day, I went out. Did all my preflight checks. Did my control checks on the ground. After lifting off, I just hovered at 1.2m. The front left arm was shaking and vibrating like crazy. The blades were making contact with the body. It was definitely going to fall out of the sky. It’s a 1 point critical error that can down almost any drone.

MY DAY WAS DONE!

Went to my drone school to get advice from my teacher there. We sat down and changed out the front props only. Fortunately, we were able to achieve a smooth steady flight indoors. The discoloration smudges on the body of the aircraft came off easily with nail polish remover.

We all know that DJI drones are actually quite tough. People have crashed them, bump them into walls and trees, accidentally dropped them and they lived to tell the tale. Changing the propellers on the Mavic Mini, requires a well-lit area and your grandpa’s triple thick bifocals.

The day was saved due to good preflight checks and replacing the props. It made me realize how much easier it is to work with my Mavic Air.

Take great care with your Mavic Mini propellers that are attached to the device. You do not want to bend them only to have to swap them out. That means you lose precious daylight while you are at your workstation changing propellers.

Attachments

• 9E9A9C55-AFDE-4713-8DAD-B40899085FAF.jpeg
    9E9A9C55-AFDE-4713-8DAD-B40899085FAF.jpeg
    573.4 KB · Views: 546
Last edited by a moderator:
Well-balanced propeller blades are important, and these aftermarket props for the mavic mini are proven not to be, and regarding the "old" screws, it can be good to save them as they are a little "special" to the kind, and add new locktight, to have as extra.
Glad to hear that it worked out for you!
Fly safe!

Took me about a minute to change two props after a crash. Its actually extremely easy for me, though obviously mavic air style props would've been nice.

Reactions: old man mavic
i can understand why you would want to be able to see them better, if you were flying indoors, it would have been easier to have fitted the prop cages, they make it almost impossible to get hit by the props, unless you stick your fingers through the open parts, and if you do misjudge and bump a wall ,they will just bounce off, the same as if you go up to the ceiling they stop the props from making contact

I was interested in these comments until I got to after market props, there are already YouTube videos popping up and reporting they are garbage. Better to stick with genuine DJI props although they are currently not available here in the UK. I do agree regarding the screws, they’ll be a lot of kids and adults alike stripping or cross threading.

Well, bad luck for me, as I've ordered some (black) and have not seen any negative comments about how bad they are.
So now I'm going to wait 2 months til they arrive from china, just to put them away as they seem to be crap.

As for the screwdriver and little screws, here is a good excuse to buy another gadget that will be quite nice to have. Xiaomi WowStick. :)

Of course not. We always do the needful, regardless how it is. :)

Reactions: Piranha
Last edited:
as everything in life it takes some practice to learn how to use small screws. one word of advice - before placing screws back on motors and props you always should use a small drop of a blue locktite, it is very important. it must be a small amount, only a smudge on the thread of the bolt, do not drown motor internals with it.

Excuse me, if I’m wrong about this. In the FlyMore Combo set you get 3 sets of replacement props and screws. I looked very closely the DJI screws. They appear to have blue locktight on them already. Am I wrong about this?

When I tried the aftermarket props, I did NOT use the screws they provided because it appeared to me that they not have locktight on them. Again I really strained my eyes to inspect those screws. I’m going to buy a detail magnifying glasses in the near future.

To the gentlemen who questioned why I would change the propellers on a brand new drone. I can see my Mavic Air quite easily in the air. Plus Mavic Air has those lights on the front arms. Of course, with the app I can see the direction of the aircraft at all times. Likewise, I can see the lights on the craft to quickly discern it’s orientation to me.

However, with the Mavic Mini there are no lights. I tested my Mini indoors with the stock propellers on. Once I noticed that I could not see the propellers spinning I decided to put on the color props.

I appreciate all the advice I’m receiving here. I’ve learned so much about aircraft inspection and pre-flight checks. If it hadn’t been for the members here and the countless YouTubers ( Drones51 ), I would have broke my new toy. Patience is a virtue.

P.S: Blume I went to the DJI Mavic Mini Debut held in Tokyo. I had a chance to operate the drone there. I think I uploaded a video of it on my YouTube channel.

You mean the mini does not have props both like first and second Mavic , also had both since they were released and never have I had to change props and I fly almost everyday, I do not have the mm

The MM does not have quick release props but rather each half prop is attached to the motors with screws much like the Anafi. This was probably to save weight.

Colorful props might be more visible indoors but I doubt they could be seen too far out outdoors. They would be spinning too fast. Heck the Mini itself can get lost not too far out. Now if the props were lit... Nah, better not encourage that.

As someone in the engineering/mechanical world I can already see the problem - good and tight ie striped cross threaded and destroyed. The very first time I saw the MM that was my immediate thought. I see this as a real problem and wonder what was the motivation?

as everything in life it takes some practice to learn how to use small screws. one word of advice - before placing screws back on motors and props you always should use a small drop of a blue locktite, it is very important. it must be a small amount, only a smudge on the thread of the bolt, do not drown motor internals with it.

Be VERY careful with blue Loctite.I lost numerous props on past drones due to contact with the Loctite.Read in a couple of posts on props and loctite that the solvent reacts with the prop hub material,leading to unexpected catastrophic failure.Not sure what Loctite will do to the DJI prop hubs,but caution is recommended.

the only time you would need loctite was if you were reusing one of the old screws ,you dont need it on a new screw as its already on them

Thanks guys for all the advice. Here’s the final update.
After I purchased my magnifying glass ( workstation ) pictured below, I was able to reset the propellers.

I know my eyesight is getting worse when it comes to working on micro itty bitty things, but I still think the screws are super small.

!! WORD OF CAUTION!!
Using the workstation, I was able to see the residual locktite that was still embedded in the opening. When you take the screws out, that blue locktite thread is STILL IN THERE!. I literally had to use a small pick and tweezers to pry and fish it out.

Honestly speaking, I doubt you can do this out in the field or on location. You may not be able to see the residual locktite due to the shadow or low light.

After all the residual locktite was removed, I used the workstation to insert the new screws. They went down flush as if it were a new drone. This made all the difference.

After an hour of indoor flight, I’m absolutely confident that this Mavic Mini will do everything it was meant to do.

Also, I concur that aftermarket props may not be ready to live up to DJI standards. I’m going to wait till Master AirScrew comes out with something for the Mini. I use those on my Mavic Air and they are flawless.

So if you decide to change those propellers, make sure you can see what you are doing. That locktite thread on the screws will stay in there. Get it all out!97986B6D-60F5-43D9-B320-E7A3379E7457.jpeg0DD020BF-C4F7-4D1E-A250-F72A672D2596.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78