DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

OMG the horrible advice I just heard given on a webinar...

spsphotos

Reactions
Was just listening to a webinar by Kevin Michael Schmitz (Slice of Life - Kevin Michael Schmitz + Photographer & Director) about Travel and Resort Photography. He was going over drones and how he uses them. At first, it was OK stuff, nothing I didn't know. Then he says that you basically don't need a Part 107 and he's been flying and filming for clients for years without one. I was SHOCKED. That is the kind of advice that will get many people in his webinar in a lot of trouble. I couldn't chat, but I did send a "QA" telling I'm he is 1000000000% wrong and that just because he hasn't been caught, doesn't mean he won't. And he's looking at 10's of thousands in fines if he is AND his clients will also be on the hook for hiring him and not verifying his licensing. I left because he was so full of crap.

Then he says that you basically don't need a Part 107 and he's been flying and filming for clients for years without one.
An important life reminder. Some "experts" are not actually experts.

Maybe share the documentation showing Part 107 is required. That might be more helpful than a "hey you doofus... you're 10000% wrong".

Was just listening to a webinar by Kevin Michael Schmitz (Slice of Life - Kevin Michael Schmitz + Photographer & Director) about Travel and Resort Photography. He was going over drones and how he uses them. At first, it was OK stuff, nothing I didn't know. Then he says that you basically don't need a Part 107 and he's been flying and filming for clients for years without one. I was SHOCKED. That is the kind of advice that will get many people in his webinar in a lot of trouble. I couldn't chat, but I did send a "QA" telling I'm he is 1000000000% wrong and that just because he hasn't been caught, doesn't mean he won't. And he's looking at 10's of thousands in fines if he is AND his clients will also be on the hook for hiring him and not verifying his licensing. I left because he was so full of crap.
He needs to be reported to the FAA.

and we wonder why people are so confused ,when it comes to drone use ,one bad apple taints the whole barrel

I recall reading that there are more drone pilots working without 107 than there are ones working with 107 certifications. First, I don't think a client would even know what docs the hired pilot needs. I bet they show them their registration and the client accepts it as proof. Then we have the cost difference. Ones without 107 certs charge a lot less. If I find the article, I'll try posting it.

The pros of a 107 cert are at the top and Cons listed at bottom.
After reading the article you will see why there is a discrepancy between certified and non-certified pilots.

There is one statement he says. Out of all practicing non 107 pilots, there has only been one recorded case where the FAA fined the pilot. I'm not talking about YOUTUBE posters. I'm talking about the guys, who get real jobs and are hired by professional contractors. Just one was fined.

I think these fines are civil as well. So if you get fined, you can always bankrupt the company and start over.

Last edited:
Reactions: ericole
I recall reading that there are more drone pilots working without 107 than there are ones working with 107 certifications. First, I don't think a client would even know what docs the hired pilot needs. I bet they show them their registration and the client accepts it as proof. Then we have the cost difference. Ones without 107 certs charge a lot less. If I find the article, I'll try posting it.

The pros of a 107 cert are at the top and Cons listed at bottom.
After reading the article you will see why there is a discrepancy between certified and non-certified pilots.

There is one statement he says. Out of all practicing non 107 pilots, there has only been one recorded case where the FAA fined the pilot. I'm not talking about YOUTUBE posters. I'm talking about the guys, who get real jobs and are hired by professional contractors. Just one was fined.

I think these fines are civil as well. So if you get fined, you can always bankrupt the company and start over.
I also notice a number of his statements in his Con sections with regards to 3. and 5. are inaccurate.
Granted the article is almost 4 years old. It sounds like the TRUST program may not have started yet.

Reactions: GFields
I’m a commercial drone pilot in Canada with more than 10 years commercial experience. I’ve flown in controlled air space all this time, several times right at an international airport, but always with all the required authorizations and paper work in place. I would never consider doing this work without everything in place. While it can be a bit painful sometimes, it’s the cost of doing business safely and without being fined or going to jail. Transport Canada, similar to you FAA, has a submission area to report illegal operation. This operator knows he is operating illegally and I think it’s too late to try and educate him. I would have no problem reporting him, with evidence if he was operating here. How is it fair that we legal operators do our due diligence, purchase expensive aircraft and liability insure, hire people to acquire city permits, contact authorities and this person just skips past all the detail.

An important life reminder. Some "experts" are not actually experts.

Maybe share the documentation showing Part 107 is required. That might be more helpful than a "hey you doofus... you're 10000% wrong".
Amen!

Looked at the 107. Looks like a lot of ** to me. I can see why he wouldn't get one.
Just looked up the rules for a pilots. Looks like ** to me. Just jump in a fly, man. Same with drivers license.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is not a link to a video. It's a link to the guys YouTube channel. It's a long video. When does he talk about 107?
At around 14:00, he says the mavic 3 will shoot 4k 120 fps. I don't think that's true. He uses the same tablet holder as I do.
OK. He talks about FAA regulations from 21:00 to 24:00. He doesn't tell people not to get a 107. He just says he hasn't. He has his own TV show, so he's not contracting out his services to other people, like shooting weddings or real estate shots.
I'm glad you posted about this, because he seems to know a lot. Now I know about him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dronecation
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard