DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

One reason for ordering the Mavic Air 2

Waldo Pepper

Reactions
I do a lot of flying over sides of mountain and hill terrain, enjoy the wildlife and the beauty of its surroundings. With the Mavic Air 2 having osucsync 2, a must have feature allowing clear video feed in areas with inference or rough terrain. These pictures are from my Mavic 2 Pro, my MA2 will be arriving later in the week. Looking so forward to using the MA2, especially it having a longer flight time, occusync 2 and supposedly quieter.

Here are a few pictures from yesterday’s flight, A rabbit at a distance and a closer cropped shot. A dead snake, and a neat picture of an America Native mortar hole rock used to grinding acorn and nuts centuries ago.

With permission, properly owners allow me to fly on their properties. Take neat pictures or video, occusync 2 allows me to maneuver behind large rocks or rough terrain to capture these kind of great shots.

Thanks for looking,
Paul
AD748B10-F922-43E7-A10E-9534B66ACDB6.jpeg329846EE-763E-4DB4-A02A-C38280DDB22C.jpegACF88145-9632-458A-9158-830ED25343BB.jpeg
E89BF0F5-A3FA-4ACD-9E7B-E9D5E1401AAE.jpeg

Why would you get an Air if you have the Pro?
I would think it maybe due to the 48MP photos that enable you to crop for even better closer images.

Why would you get an Air if you have the Pro?
The Air 2 has a longer flight time and it’s quieter, Although it’s only 4 minutes longer for the type of flying I do these extra minutes will actually be beneficial covering extra terrain. Instead of two flights there may be instances one longer flight will complete the photo/video mission.

Plus, Air 2 is smaller. Less chance of clipping a branch or an obstacle. Recently, last weekend my Mavic 2 Pro clipped a branch and broke a propeller in flight, M2P came crashing down and sheared off right arm assembly. Have Care Refresh, instead of sending it in ordered a new complete right arm assembly for $45 bucks and repaired it myself 4-5 days later and it’s like new again. Air 2 is smaller, it’ll be much safer to maneuver it in tight areas for my type of flying.

I’ll share more pics in the near future after I get the MA2.

Paul

Reactions: DanaMc
I would think it maybe due to the 48MP photos that enable you to crop for even better closer images.

Thanks for sharing the 48MP will be beneficial for cropping pics, I’ll definitely be using this for a clearer pic if chopping.

Thanks!
Paul

Thanks for the cropping pic. Gave me some ideas. I flew my MA2 for the first time yesterday. Heading out now to take some pics and flight time.

You’re welcome, Use 48MP photos as Done Master recommended . Makes sense, should retain detail when cropped.

Share your pictures ?

I’m no expert, but from what I have read the 48mp mode is not that great, at the end of the day it’s still a 12mp sensor which is half the size of the 2 pro.
If pixel binning technology was that good how come it’s not been used in “dslr” style cameras....hopefully proven wrong though as I’m about to get a Mavic air 2 myself!

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
Please let me know how Ocusync compares to the M2P.

If the MA2 doesn't live up to the Ocusync name I may return mine (for an M2P) before it even shows up on the doorstep.
Hello Itsneedtino,

I’ll do that, share occusync 2 comparison between MA2 and M2P, I have an area with obstacles already planned out to compare both.

The Mavic 2 Pro does extremely well in an area with rough river terrain with blockage of hills and trees, at a certain elevation as I lower the M2P towards the ground to shoot video or take pictures video feed starts to break up. It’s here I’ll see how MA2 fares, it’s places like this will compare. If it matches M2P, Great at least it’s matching M2P. If it’s better that’s terrific, if not I’ll share this as well.

Several users need occusync 2 for distance flying, I use it for clearer video feed and much better transmission connection for areas up close with obstacles.

Paul

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I’m no expert, but from what I have read the 48mp mode is not that great, at the end of the day it’s still a 12mp sensor which is half the size of the 2 pro.
If pixel binning technology was that good how come it’s not been used in “dslr” style cameras....hopefully proven wrong though as I’m about to get a Mavic air 2 myself!

HDR Video. Go ahead and make a list of drones with that capability.

Hello Itsneedtino,

I’ll do that, share occusync 2 comparison between MA2 and M2P, I have an area with obstacles already planned out to compare both.

The Mavic 2 Pro does extremely well in an area with rough river terrain with blockage of hills and trees, at a certain elevation as I lower the M2P towards the ground to shoot video or take pictures video feed starts to break up. It’s here I’ll see how MA2 fares, it’s places like this will compare. If it matches M2P, Great at least it’s matching M2P. If it’s better that’s terrific, if not I’ll share this as well.

Several users need occusync 2 for distance flying, I use it for clearer video feed and much better transmission connection for areas up close with obstacles.

Paul
I've heard that the MA2 will straight up disconnect instead of breaking up first, this concerns me.

Can't wait to see what you think.

Your comparison will determine my next course of action.

I've heard that the MA2 will straight up disconnect instead of breaking up first, this concerns me.

Can't wait to see what you think.

Your comparison will determine my next course of action.
I’ve seen the same from a couple of recent MA2 videos, MA2 signal remains strong then suddenly breaks off. I’m on the Empire Drones list, hopefully get my drone this week.

If MA2 signal doesn’t fare as good as M2P, I’m willing to split MA2 controller and mount M2P controller antennas onto MA2 controller. See if this improves signal, have an extra set of M2P controller antennas. I’ll share this as well.

All the best, Paul

I’ve been getting weak signal warnings before dropping the connection.

Set your home point, lock them satellites, and go. Just as long as you don’t do something silly (fly too far and not have enough juice to make it back) it’ll turn around and you’ll regain control.

No big deal.

Impulse was the reason I bought mine. But...this is a great drone. I love my Air 1 but it doesn't compare to this one in my mind. The Air 2 flys great right out of the box. I can't imagine having to tweak anything. Even the gimbal is set a rate I couldn't improve on. It's super smooth in sport mode which blows me away...I've only used that out and back. I'm likeing a the Fly app too, and especially the controller. The screen is right up front and it's very hard to miss that you are not filming video if you're like me ..a dummy. I'm going to have to learn the settings but it's pretty intuitive. I think I'll be able to master them.

Reactions: somber
HDR Video. Go ahead and make a list of drones with that capability.
Certainly not disputing the Mavic Air 2 has a lot of capabilities and HDR is awesome especially at this price point, but HDR video has no impact on cropping a photo and still keeping detail which was what my original comment was in regard, it's not a true 48 mega pixel sensor no matter what trickery you do to it.

Certainly not disputing the Mavic Air 2 has a lot of capabilities and HDR is awesome especially at this price point, but HDR video has no impact on cropping a photo and still keeping detail which was what my original comment was in regard, it's not a true 48 mega pixel sensor no matter what trickery you do to it.
The 48mp isn't "true" 48mp, and you would mainly want to use it for brightly and evenly lit scenes to keep the noise down, but under those conditions you can get a good image that lets you crop in a lot while still retaining good detail. A useful mode when used properly. But I'm more interested in the 4k60 and the video hdr.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc