DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

order of switching on

sitecre8r

Reactions
Hi,

Before taking off, in which order should I switch things on?

I use an Apple iPad.

Thanks,

SC

Morning (6.30am, here).

Thanks for your swift reply - again!

I only posted that, as THAT was the order I was doing things, until I revisited the manual!

Page 56, Point 2, at the bottom of the page says, "Turn on the remote controller and your mobile device, then turn on the Intelligent Flight Battery"

So, Controller, iPad, DJI GO 4, Mavic

What do you think?

Morning (6.30am, here).

Thanks for your swift reply - again!

I only posted that, as THAT was the order I was doing things, until I revisited the manual!

Page 56, Point 2, at the bottom of the page says, "Turn on the remote controller and your mobile device, then turn on the Intelligent Flight Battery"

So, Controller, iPad, DJI GO 4, Mavic

What do you think?

Correct

As long as you turn on RC before AC, I think when you turn on DJI Go app is not critical. It’s not like your AC flies away if you turn it on first.

Thanks.

So...

Remote Controller then Drone, and the app just kicks in whenever you switch it on, and it doesn't matter when.

Yes?

I' don't believe it makes a huge difference; I#ve not had issue in any order..... I think everything is in 'connecting' mode until it actually connects with something. I've cancelled the app in mid flight sometimes and re-started it. And switched off either the controller or the drone when already linked on the ground, and they reconnect very quickly.
Cheers,
Ian

Hi Ian,
Thanks for the encouragement.
I'm pretty new to this, but the plethora of seemingly unexplained 'lost drone' incidents, leads me to be ultra-cautious, and try and exclude anything that might cause problem!

Reactions: Ian in London
I always turn on my remote first, than turn on the Mavic. While it is connecting and searching for satellites, I put my iPad in the remote and open the DJI go app. It just kicks in as soon as there is a connection.
Just like in the old days, first the remote, than the aircraft. It might not really matter with the newer technology, but just to be safe.

Hi Ian,
Thanks for the encouragement.
I'm pretty new to this, but the plethora of seemingly unexplained 'lost drone' incidents, leads me to be ultra-cautious, and try and exclude anything that might cause problem!

If the order you turn things on doesn’t work, the result will be that things don’t connect and you can’t take off. If everything is connected and working, they’re not going to just fail halfway through the flight because you turned on one component before you turned something else on.

For those who don't blindly trust DJI programming, it is better to be safe than sorry. Switch on RC first. Also, the RC should be the LAST thing to switch off.
Many things have gone wrong (and still go wrong) since the beginning of RC by switching on the RC last, or off first.
A Mavic could still receive a roque wifi signal that it interprets as a control signal.

From the stand point of the drone just remember LOFO last on, first off.

I usually power on things in this order:
  • mobile device (since it's usually already turned on)
  • remote controller
  • aircraft
  • connect the remote controller to mobile device via Lightning cable
  • start DJI GO
The order usually doesn't matter for most mobile devices. Find the order that works best for your setup and follow it each time.

That would be poor programming if flies away on rouge signals. The AC needs to be paired with RC so I doubt it would even get hijacked by another RC. And the control signals would be a string of 1s and 0s with hash checks and possibly watchdogs signals between RC and AC. Programming are a lot smarter theses days, but only as smart as the people programming it though.

When I switch on the RC, it automatically turns on my ipad. After the ipad fires up and I get past the PIN nonsense, I bring up whatever app I'm using to fly with. DJI Go, Litchi, Hangar360, etc. Then I turn on the AC and wait for it to find enough satellites to get a good GPS lock.

Hi,

I use an Apple iPad.

Thanks,

SC

Per the manual, assuming you have already unlocked the gimbal: RD-AG (RC, Device - Aircraft, GO4)

For those prone to forgetting to remove the gimbal lock: RD-GAG (first G is for Gimbal)

For those who are also prone to forgetting to push the video/photo button prior to takeoff: RD-GAGD (the second D is for "Don't be a Doofis") -- this is the one hubby and I prefer :rolleyes:

I usually power on things in this order:
  • mobile device (since it's usually already turned on)
  • remote controller
  • aircraft
  • connect the remote controller to mobile device via Lightning cable
  • start DJI GO
The order usually doesn't matter for most mobile devices. Find the order that works best for your setup and follow it each time.

It seems to matter for mine --- a BLU phone that I would not recommend.
It sometimes fails to connect unless I have the drone, the RC, and DJI GO started, then connect the cable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU