Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Orkney - Neolithic Showreel 4K

AlbionDrones

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
Hi All,

Just finished putting together a showreel for our recent Orkney trip, so much good footage I have kept this to the Pre-historic sites only, may do another couple with the WW2 and Landscape footage later.

Aside from your subjects always being very interesting, I'm always amazed at the images you get out of that little drone. If you are not, you should be a colorist. Everything is spot on! Wonderfull contrast and saturation without going overboard. Great tonal quality right down to skin tones. Excelent exposures and use of light. If I had the money, I'd send you the latest Inspire just to see what you could get out of it.

Beautiful as usual!

Aside from your subjects always being very interesting, I'm always amazed at the images you get out of that little drone. If you are not, you should be a colorist. Everything is spot on! Wonderfull contrast and saturation without going overboard. Great tonal quality right down to skin tones. Excelent exposures and use of light. If I had the money, I'd send you the latest Inspire just to see what you could get out of it.

Beautiful as usual!
Wow, praise indeed, thank you...

Erm, I am not in any way a professional at videography, colour toning or drone flying, I work in education, but have been a lifelong amateur photographer... Drone flying is one of my 4 hobbies - leatherworking, blacksmithing, woodturning and photography/drone videography, but I have a bit of ADHD/OCD, which means when I am into something I have laser focus and have to ensure I am absolutely as good as I can be...

My way of working with footage and colouring is to slightly underexpose the drone capture - by 0.5 to 1 stop, then in PP - DaVinci Resolve18 - I up the overall lighting slightly - usual by 0.08, bring up the dark (+0.08 to +0.24) and shadow (+0.08 to +0.16) and thenb bring the saturation up a tad - depending on the footage I have, some doesnt need a saturation boost, some needs +0.04 to +0.08 on the scale. Other than that I am sharpening by lowering the Blur Radius in the Coulour screen from 50 to 46, whiich just makes it pop a little more....

I shall look forward to the Inspire landing in the near future then! Lol ;)

Actually, I am looking at a MAVIC 3 Pro in the new year, and hoping to learn to use LUT's then too...

This video was really perfect - the video editing, color, music and subject. I really liked the people in it as it set the scale - which honestly was much smaller than I would have thought. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: AlbionDrones
Wow, praise indeed, thank you...

Erm, I am not in any way a professional at videography, colour toning or drone flying, I work in education, but have been a lifelong amateur photographer... Drone flying is one of my 4 hobbies - leatherworking, blacksmithing, woodturning and photography/drone videography, but I have a bit of ADHD/OCD, which means when I am into something I have laser focus and have to ensure I am absolutely as good as I can be...

My way of working with footage and colouring is to slightly underexpose the drone capture - by 0.5 to 1 stop, then in PP - DaVinci Resolve18 - I up the overall lighting slightly - usual by 0.08, bring up the dark (+0.08 to +0.24) and shadow (+0.08 to +0.16) and thenb bring the saturation up a tad - depending on the footage I have, some doesnt need a saturation boost, some needs +0.04 to +0.08 on the scale. Other than that I am sharpening by lowering the Blur Radius in the Coulour screen from 50 to 46, whiich just makes it pop a little more....

I shall look forward to the Inspire landing in the near future then! Lol ;)

Actually, I am looking at a MAVIC 3 Pro in the new year, and hoping to learn to use LUT's then too...
My wife tells me I have a few eieio's as well. She is a special needs educator.

The MFT sensor on the Mavic 3 is really nice. I have the classic and love the image. Try luts if you like but I think you are doing better with your process. Luts are like color profiles in MP4 4.2.0 8 bit recordings, someone else's idea of what looks nice. I agree with the underexposing slightly. Adds more fullness and saturation from the get go. I do that with my cinema cameras as well. Looking forward to more of your work!

• Love
This video was really perfect - the video editing, color, music and subject. I really liked the people in it as it set the scale - which honestly was much smaller than I would have thought. Keep up the good work!
Thanks Jim, appreciate the comments and the praise :)

My wife tells me I have a few eieio's as well. She is a special needs educator.

The MFT sensor on the Mavic 3 is really nice. I have the classic and love the image. Try luts if you like but I think you are doing better with your process. Luts are like color profiles in MP4 4.2.0 8 bit recordings, someone else's idea of what looks nice. I agree with the underexposing slightly. Adds more fullness and saturation from the get go. I do that with my cinema cameras as well. Looking forward to more of your work!
Many thanks, the process works for me, but takes a bit of time to get right, tweaking as I go, could do with a better laptop really as its only 24MB Graphics, so is really laggy when editing, I often have to edit it, redner it to see what I have and then go backk and correct bits before re-rendering... Not the most efficient way of working, but working at the limits of what technology we have available atm....

Have now processed all of the OOrkney footage, can perhaps do a few showreels form the last 12 months for each of the trips we have had, but other than that I need to get out and fly and capture some more footage to be able to post new content, hopefully I am flying tomorrow morning at a drone meet, but not sure how much useability the footage will be.. May have to hope the weather stays good eniugh to find some subjects on the way home...

Reactions: SmilingOgre
Thank you for a well-done video of neolithic sites. Along with the choral music I could almost see villagers tending to their chores. Your videography is smooth and your pans are well done. Thanks for posting.

Thank you for a well-done video of neolithic sites. Along with the choral music I could almost see villagers tending to their chores. Your videography is smooth and your pans are well done. Thanks for posting.
Thank you for taking the time to respond, the sites are amazing to visit, very atmospheric... The music is from the Irish band Clannad, and is one of my favourite pieces, hence using it for this montage... Thanks for the comments on the videography and the flying, it is appreciated :) There are individual video's for all of these places on our YT channel, although I think I have shared them all on here over the last 6 weeks anyway :)

Beautifully done. What are the names of the sites at 1:30 and 4:00? Those are spectacular!
Thanks... 1.30 is the Neolithic village os Skara Brae, and 4.00 is the Iron Age Broch of Gurness, both captured on the same evening, about 40 mins apart, and it was blowing a hoolie!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian