DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Osprey too close!

Dang! I was just flying yesterday and some barn swallows were diving at my Mavic Pro! Didn't touch it, but still was an attack. I actually got a video and while I was filming, one of them swoops by my drone. Gave me a scare, but it was fine. Was your drone ruined?

Reactions: bassnbeau
I fly at sunset a lot and swallows are the worst, and they come in flocks of 100s.

Real life Angry Birds! ;)

Ospreys are definitely territorial around their nest and don't care about the size of the airspace "offender" they go after: I have seen them gang up on bald eagles and almost always the eagle gives up and goes away in the direction they came from!

Flying in our neighborhood in SE USA and was attacked by momma Osprey after flying over her nest. Close call. I don't do that anymore.View attachment 78391
Great shot!
He was Aggressive
See below were I was the aggressor

I've had a few bird encounters, hit Sport mode and go Up, then evade and land asap. They also tend to loose interest once you're low at about 10 to 15'

I fly at sunset a lot and swallows are the worst, and they come in flocks of 100s.
I've experienced the same thing. So, tell me...the environmentalists have conned lawmakers everywhere into believing that drones are a threat to birds very existence. Seems the other way around. Birds are more of a threat to drones!

Reactions: Drgnfli
I had a few swallows flying around my drone too last evening, but they were pretty much trying to avoid it as they would swoop out of the way if I came near them. I had my anti-collision lights on too. Maybe that helped deter them???

I had a few swallows flying around my drone too last evening, but they were pretty much trying to avoid it as they would swoop out of the way if I came near them. I had my anti-collision lights on too. Maybe that helped deter them???
They usually seem more curious than threatening, but they follow the drone even up to 150 ft and last night they came down to within 20 ft of me as I was landing.

Made for a great photo :)

Reactions: Michigan_PI
They usually seem more curious than threatening, but they follow the drone even up to 150 ft and last night they came down to within 20 ft of me as I was landing.
That's pretty cool..it's good that that's all they did. Hopefully, that behavior won't worsen. :)

I am a photographer who does imaging on flying birds (in addition to drone photography). The photo that was submitted was really fantastic. Great job.

Since there are generally comments about losing a drone after a bird encounter, I was wondering if there have been any incidents where the bird gets the worse of it (due to props). I know the props can do a number on your fingers, but couldn't they do a job on a bird's legs, especially if it is an eagle, hawk, or osprey that is attacking talons first?

Dang! I was just flying yesterday and some barn swallows were diving at my Mavic Pro! Didn't touch it, but still was an attack. I actually got a video and while I was filming, one of them swoops by my drone. Gave me a scare, but it was fine. Was your drone ruined?
Didn't touch the drone

Reactions: Cyber3xpert
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan