DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Out of luck with a Moto G7?

Reactions
Just bought a new Mavic Mini for my son's birthday. We both have Moto G7. Before I purchased I downloaded the app on my phone and it worked fine. I found my phone on this list The Latest DJI Fly (Mavic Mini / Mavic Air 2) Compatible Phones list | Cult of Drone but it is not listed on dji official list.

Charged batteries. Followed instructions. Connected phone to control with included cable. Turned on remote. Turned on Mini. Opened app. Clicked connect aircraft in lower right corner. Selected Mavic Mini. Nothing happens. Select Camera View. It says "Rc not connected to mobile device". Select three dots. Under control tab, scroll to bottom and select "connect to aircraft" Pop up says, "remote controller not connected"

Can anyone tell me if they have been able to use a Moto G7 successfully? Or give me some suggestions of what to try next? Very frustrating...to say the least.

Are you sure that the plug connected to the phone is in 100%? With my mini i get that remote not connected sometimes because it gets un- lodged...but it doesn't look like it until i fiddle with it and push it in.

did a quick search and if you have the latest version of the fly app it seems its working for people on that model...

Last edited:
Connected the phone again to the remote control and making sure the cord was snapped in tight. Still get no response in the app and when I select "camera view" get the same "rc controller not connected to mobile device" error.

My son noted that he can control the gimbal with the remote even with the error. But the manual start with the joysticks does not work. The light on the remote are solid. The led on the mini flashes red and green fairly rapidly.

Could it be a faulty cord right out of the box?

Where did you see that the Moto G7 was working with the latest software? We just downloaded DJI fly yesterday onto my son's phone so I assume it must be the latest version.

If you suspect a dodgy connection or improperly seated connection try connecting the phone and controller with the phone not in the arms but sat at the controller's side.
You do not need the drone switched on the get a 'connection' to the controller so forget about the drone for the moment, besides which the controller and drone must have been connected to the drone for your son to have gimbal control.
A connected phone will be able to read the likes of the "RC firmware" version in the "about" menu with or without the drone being on.
If you still have no joy then see if you can, via a cable, connect the phone to a computer and copy files to the computer. If the computer does not see the phone check the nature of the phone's USB connection mode. It might also be worth checking the nature of its connection mode when it is attached to the controller.( The nature of the USB connection thing may not be a relevant concern but it does no harm to check)
If that all fails you could have a dodgy socket on the phone but it's worth trying another cable. Ditto another cable between the controller and the phone.
The socket in the controller is a micro USB type A socket (rectangular surround) and the appropriate plug on the DJI cable is also micro USB type A .......but the controller's socket will accept a micro USB type B plug (6 sided surround .... a trapezium merged with a rectangle) as is used on the charger cable.
There are micro-USB-type-B-plug to micro-USB-C-plug cables available but you'd probably have to order/get one, the alternative is a combination of two cables such as a micro-USB-type-B-plug to a BIG-old-style-USB-socket cable connected to a BIG-old-style-USB-plug to micro-USB-C-plug cable but both need to be data capable cables.

Edited to reflect USB-C connection on the phone

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a short video to show what is happening. Visuals are often easier to understand than a written explanation. In included a youtube link below. Is there a better way to post the video here?

Oddly enough, my phone prompted me to update from android 9 to 10 today. I completed the update and now the phone vibrates three times when I hook it up to the remote with the app open and the rc turned on.. It was not doing that with Android 9. This leads me to believe the cable is good and the connection is fine.

My son and I both have a Moto G7 and we get the same results on both phones so I don't believe it is a bad socket on both phones.

Still hoping someone can chime in who has successfully used a Moto G7.

So sorry for what you are going through. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be.

From watching your video, I can only suggest that either the cable is faulty, or there is a problem with one of the ports - either the one on the controller or the one on the phone.

Any chance you can try this out with a different phone?

On your phone, go to System Settings->Connected Devices->USB. On my phone there are several settings such as "USB controlled by" and "Use USB for".
You might be able to play with those settings and get things working.

My phone is a Moto G6 which won't even install the *.apk file much less download from the Google Play store. I have a Mavi Mini showing up tomorrow and am hoping my tablet "Asus Zenpad Z8" will work with it!

Sadly none of the usb "use usb for" options light up when plugged into the rc.

I have tried this on my phone and my son's phone. Both are moto g 7's. We are trying to get our hands on an old iphone from a friend tomorrow to try out another phone. Will keep you posted.

It might be a bad cable. While the Controller end looks special, it is a USB micro A and a more standard Micro B can plug in as long as oriented correctly - narrow side of the trapezoid is UP.

With the controller switched on connect it to the phone, do not start the app, does the phone indicate that it is being charged? Maybe even try this with the phone switched off.

With the controller switched on connect it to the phone, do not start the app, does the phone indicate that it is being charged? Maybe even try this with the phone switched off.

Yes. The phone buzzes once and then the battery icon indicates it is charging slowly.

If I plug the phone into the controller when the controller is off...no buzzing, no charging.

If i plug the phone into the controller when the controller is off...then open Fly app...then turn on controler I get three buzzes with a few seconds between them as I showed in the video above.

When the controller is plugged in and turned on, under the phone's usb preferences menu it shows "Use this for" and then lists: file transfer, usb tethering, midi, ptp, and no data transfer.
All the radio buttons for these options are greyed out. I cannot select any of them. However the phone is still slowly charging off the remote control.

Hi, when I first got my I DJI MAVIC MINI DRONE, I used my iPhone 6s Plus with it. I worked great however I had a IPad mini 2 so I ordered a longer cable so that I could use my iPad mini 2 with my DJI MAVIC MINI DRONE. The cable did not work and I had the same problem as you. I then removed my iPad mini 2 from my controller and just connect it with the short cable that comes with my DJI MAVIC MINI DRONE and everything worked. I then tried connecting my iPad Air both ways and the iPad Air also would work on the short cable but not the long one. I therefore am returning the longer cable for a refund and have ordered a new one from a different store. I am confident that the cable is defective however I should receive the new cable today and will try it and post the results. Hope this info helps you.

Last edited:
Do you know anyone with a declared compatible make of USB-c phone that would let you try their phone with your equipment?
Post #19 in How not to let phone draw power? presumably means a "G7 Power" works with the fly app but since you call yours a G7 I guess your's is a different model.

I made a short video to show what is happening. Visuals are often easier to understand than a written explanation. In included a youtube link below. Is there a better way to post the video here?

Oddly enough, my phone prompted me to update from android 9 to 10 today. I completed the update and now the phone vibrates three times when I hook it up to the remote with the app open and the rc turned on.. It was not doing that with Android 9. This leads me to believe the cable is good and the connection is fine.

My son and I both have a Moto G7 and we get the same results on both phones so I don't believe it is a bad socket on both phones.

Still hoping someone can chime in who has successfully used a Moto G7.

Newbie here, but I thought when I installed the app, it said I needed version 10 on my S8, since I never uppdated my phone since I've had it for 2 years + now. Once updated though, everything worked fine, at least for the 1 hour I have flown it.

Ehhmmmm....... I do believe we are talking about the Mavic Mini here.

Different drone...... different app!

Stay safe!

Yes, of course. I do know the difference between the Mini and the 2Pro. I offered my experience for information only. Seemed like a fair chance that since a Moto worked with an older drone, it might work well with a newer model from the same company, supporting the possibility of a bad cable or connection.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne