DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Over 80,000 DJI drone IDs exposed in data leak

Yaros

Reactions
It's a slippery slope of rights violations as we have seen over the past decades. Starz "Nervous Nellies will have fits with this one". Already being negative. We are constantly being GPS/GSM tracked, recorded, and many people freely give up their rights and let companies or governments in the United States gather information and if "you" decide to be tracked, that is your choice. Me, I want to minimize anyone or anything that will provide information concerning my activities, though the data may not be identity based, to anyone. Whatever happened to people's privacy? Long gone if you think about it. So why freely provide information if you don't want to?

I guess I am a nervous nellie because I want to minimize my electronic footprint and decide who gets my information and not freely give up my rights under the Constitution of the United States.

If you use the logic "What are you afraid of? Are you doing something illegal that you want to hide? If you aren't hiding anything, you should just comply" You have already lost the discussion with me.

Thanks...just my two cents

HBB

When it comes to privacy I’m afraid that horse is out of the barn. There are far greater incursions into our private lives than somebody or some agency knowing when or where I fly my drone. Everything you say in earshot of Siri or Alexa is heard. Every keystroke is known, every search is known and analyzed, every communication is potentially scanned and indexed, and the list goes on. I challenge anyone to read TikTok’s ULA and remain standing the whole time. It will rock you off your feet. There is very little that is free in this world, especially on the internet. Our privacy is the price we pay for free services on the internet. When you take a photo with an iDevice, every word that can be seen in that photo is soon thereafter OCR’d and each word entered into a searchable index. Context indexing isn’t occurring just yet but is no doubt on the roadmap. Each picture is subject to an analysis that will blow your mind. Search your photos library for words like fire, water, drone, gun, etc. Faces are analyzed and assigned a unique GUID, I.e. Facial Recognition right on your phone. Of course these would all seem nice user features, but there’s a dark side to most features, which is what have you agreed to in fine print and thus where else is this data going and who else can see it. On one hand, I have nothing to hide, but on the other hand there is a right to privacy, as well there should be. If Drone Remote ID bothers you, well the reality of what is really going on in the dark recesses of our normal life on the internet will leave you breathless.

Last edited:
DJI spokesperson Adam Lisberg told DroneDJ the company is aware of the issue. Here’s Lisberg:

"As the story notes, this data was not held by DJI, and we have no idea who generated it. The report further says the dataset does not appear to include any personally identifiable information. It’s important to note that the FAA will require all drone pilots to broadcast exactly this type of information from their drones as its Remote ID system takes effect over the next year, in a format that anyone can access. Nonetheless, we plan to instruct all AeroScope customers to ensure they use proper protocols to secure their data."

I see no reason to be alarmed.

I have not. My M3C is on the FCC approved list for remote ID, but as far as I’m aware the firmware currently doesn’t support transmitting a remote ID signal. That said I can’t test on my end. I find it interesting that an app is already out there at this early stage.

Reactions: LoudThunder
I'm much more concerned that all the info DJI has is readily available to the government of China. That somebody else has hacked them and now has a copy is much further down on my list of concerns.

When it comes to privacy I’m afraid that horse is out of the barn. There are far greater incursions into our private lives than somebody or some agency knowing when or where I fly my drone. Everything you say in earshot of Siri or Alexa is heard. Every keystroke is known, every search is known and analyzed, every communication is potentially scanned and indexed, and the list goes on. I challenge anyone to read TikTok’s ULA and remain standing the whole time. It will rock you off your feet. There is very little that is free in this world, especially on the internet. Our privacy is the price we pay for free services on the internet. When you take a photo with an iDevice, every word that can be seen in that photo is soon thereafter OCR’d and each word entered into a searchable index. Context indexing isn’t occurring just yet but is no doubt on the roadmap. Each picture is subject to an analysis that will blow your mind. Search your photos library for words like fire, water, drone, gun, etc. Faces are analyzed and assigned a unique GUID, I.e. Facial Recognition right on your phone. Of course these would all seem nice user features, but there’s a dark side to most features, which is what have you agreed to in fine print and thus where else is this data going and who else can see it. On one hand, I have nothing to hide, but on the other hand there is a right to privacy, as well there should be. If Drone Remote ID bothers you, well the reality of what is really going on in the dark recesses of our normal life on the internet will leave you breathless.
if you use a credit card, have a drivers license or any ID, or drive a car that already has GPS that is trackable, if you have a social security number or a physical address you are tracked. Pure & simple. If u wanna go off the grid, that's doable and I have great respect for those who do. Buy a camper. Use cash only and hope your bank doesnt sell your information, or maybe Apple card that doesn't theoreticaly provide data as much...lol...Or live on an island. Go fishing and enter into a barter lifestyle. And if you're a drone enthusiast....maybe Autel or Parrot or others don't transmit your data. All bets are off.

@Yaros >>I tested it with Mavic Air 2 and Air 2S, doesn't detect either of them. At least in EU.

Did you have the firmware update prior to the test that enables RemoteID? 1.80 I believe.
1.8 is the version of the dji fly app, not the firmware. You can have the old 2040 firmware in the Drone and still be able to use the dji fly 1.8 software.

1.8 is the version of the dji fly app, not the firmware. You can have the old 2040 firmware in the Drone and still be able to use the dji fly 1.8 software.
Thus the "I believe" in my post since I wasn't sure of the version.

>>Did you have the firmware update prior to the test that enables RemoteID? 1.80 I believe.

So, after taking the 2 min to look it up..... have you tested with the new version? 2.04.2320 which includes RID per online videos.

BTW, 1.8.0 is pretty cool though for the Remote because it revamped the gimbal controls and made it better in my opinion once you get used to it. At least makes it easier for everyone to find the control curves which is bigger for gimbal control than the numbers in my opinion.

Thus the "I believe" in my post since I wasn't sure of the version.

>>Did you have the firmware update prior to the test that enables RemoteID? 1.80 I believe.

So, after taking the 2 min to look it up..... have you tested with the new version? 2.04.2320 which includes RID per online videos.

BTW, 1.8.0 is pretty cool though for the Remote because it revamped the gimbal controls and made it better in my opinion once you get used to it. At least makes it easier for everyone to find the control curves which is bigger for gimbal control than the numbers in my opinion.
Haven't tested it with the newest firmware because I'm using a hacked firmware (required forced downgrade from 2190 to 2040), but can confirm that DJI Fly 1.8.0 is working with the hack while also having the RC/RC Pro compatibility turned on (which also makes the firmware show up as 99.99.99999), and having the aeroscope broadcasting disabled.

So yes, I do get the expo/gain functionality and tried it out, which makes me wonder if that control was still there even back on 2040, they just didn't make it user accessible in the app til now (ie: you could have probably tweaked it via DJI Assistant or drone-hack before it was available in the app).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut