DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

'Overdoing' filtering?

PeteS2017

Reactions
I would like to use ND filters to slow down the shutter when I get my MA. The thing is, I always found it difficult to calculate the right strength when I used to fly a Pro.

So can anyone tell me what happens if you use a filter that is too dark, if you're flying in the daytime? In low light conditions, presumably it causes the MA to choose a higher ISO and you'll get a noisier image, but I'd have thought that in daylight it just forces a very slow shutter speed. But would that give you a bad video?

I suppose what I'm asking is, is it OK to just 'err on the generous side' with filtering if you don't like doing a calculation?

For me, I always try to get it right in the camera as much as possible. As good as the file is from the Air, you can only rescue footage so far but, if anything, I'll err on the side of having the video a little too dark since you can't rescue blown out highlights in post. And blown out highlights look horrible on video. I've found that my most used ND filters are 16, 32, and 64 and I always shoot 4K 30fps at 1/60 shutter speed or 2.7K 60fps at 1/120 shutter speed - always shoot in manual mode and dial in a custom white balance. For daytime, I use 5600K. If you use Auto, you could see some flicker due to white balance changes. Most of my shooting is during the day and I don't usually shoot near sunset or early morning. If it's super bright out, I go right for the 64. Daytime but slightly overcast, it's a 32. Late afternoon gets the 16. You just need to experiment a bit but you can check your exposure before you even take off as well. If you put the wrong filter on, power down the drone and change filters before flying. Try not to be too lazy to do that and you'll save yourself lots of headaches later on. And having the exposure correct while you're shooting means you'll be able to correctly see your footage on your phone/tablet while flying.

Too high a filter and you won't be able to get the correct exposure

Better cut less light than too much.
The only point in ND filters for video is to keep the motion blur from the slow shutter speed, but having shutter speed at 1/100 or even 1/200 will make much less difference than going to ISO200 or 400.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronecc