DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Owner's ID details on drone?

I really can't see the point in that if you have a phone number visible on the outside (which is what I have).

It's simply one extra step to try and help ensure you get your property back. If you don't see the need that's fine but many of us perceive a value in doing to. I have FAA# & Contact information on the outside of the aircraft AND contact information in the TXT file on the SD card. It takes about 10 seconds and costs nothing.

Reactions: Drgnfli
I use these transfers for the FAA number. They come in several colors. After 8 months they still look perfect.

I have I.D. Stickers on bottom and rear with my phone number in the battery compartment and on the rear of my M2P. Several companies make these.
I also use Reclaim Drone as mentioned above,

FAA number needs to be accessible without tools, so that could be in the battery compartment. Personally I wouldn't want someone not knowing what they're doing trying to remove the battery. Some people can't figure out how to get the safety seal off of peanutbutter, you want them playing with a $700 drone?
Label makers are the best. They produce clear stickers that don't get peeled off by accident, but are easily and cleanly peeled when you actively peel them. I use a Brother P-Touch.
As for what I label my drone with - I have my FAA number on the outside, because it's the minimum required, with a subtitle - "remove battery for details". Inside the battery compartment are my personal details for drone recovery if necessary.

FAA number needs to be accessible without tools, so that could be in the battery compartment.
The FAA number needs to be on an exterior surface of the drone. Inside the battery compartment is no longer allowed.

See more details here:

Reactions: Thomas B
I think it's important to note that hobbyists don't need an FAA registration number at all. Noobs (me!) see all this talk about FAA numbers and get nervous.

[edit] WRONG. thanks @msinger. So there was 1) a law that allowed hobbyist to fly without license, then 2) another law that required it, then a lawsuit that negated #2, and now 3) a new law that requires it (HR302 - 2018). Nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's important to note that hobbyists don't need an FAA registration number at all. Noobs (me!) see all this talk about FAA numbers and get nervous.
Hobbyists also need an FAA registration number. If you need a number, you can register here.

Are you sure? I thought that was rescinded in 2017.

Yep. I'm sure. You can find the current rules here:

Yep. I'm sure. You can find the current rules here:

Thanks. I edited my post above so that I don't mislead others with my own ignorance.

Last I saw was any drone 250g (.55lbs) to 55lbs need to be registered. Pilots need licenses (107) if they're paid for using their drone for any work, filming a party, building etc. They also require insurance as well.
Maybe I'm wrong, my wife tells me so all the time.
Hobbyists also need an FAA registration number. If you need a number, you can register here.

The FAA number needs to be on an exterior surface of the drone. Inside the battery compartment is no longer allowed.

See more details here:
Tune in next week, probably change again [emoji23]

My labels have FAA# & IF FOUND CALL

See more details here:

Pilots need licenses (107) if they're paid for using their drone for any work, filming a party, building etc. They also require insurance as well.
Insurance isn't required, but it could be a great idea depending on the type of work being done. And some clients might of course not be interested if the pilot does not have insurance.

Use a white "Sharpie" marker - FAA# on one arm - my phone number on another arm - SD card has a note with my name, phone number, reward if found. I am ready!

Reactions: BigAl07
Use a white "Sharpie" marker - FAA# on one arm - my phone number on another arm - SD card has a note with my name, phone number, reward if found. I am ready!
In all deference to my colleague from Prescott.... I discourage using permanent marker on your drone as resale is devalued.
I use the transfers from @Aerial-Pixel and a ticker with contact info and reward offer.
Each to his own.

In all deference to my colleague from Prescott.... I discourage using permanent marker on your drone as resale is devalued.
I use the transfers from @Aerial-Pixel and a sticker with contact info and reward offer.
Each to his own.
What he said.

Reactions: Draper
Also you're assuming someone finding it knows it has a video card. Knows how to get it out and would look at it. Now if someone that flies drones finds it then you have a better chance but then maybe they won't think to pull the card to look on it.
And as mentioned, resale, you want to sell it most people won't want your information on their new (to them) drone.
I use the transfers from @Aerial-Pixel and a ticker with contact info and reward offer.
Each to his own.

Also you're assuming someone finding it knows it has a video card. Knows how to get it out and would look at it. Now if someone that flies drones finds it then you have a better chance but then maybe they won't think to pull the card to look on it.
And as mentioned, resale, you want to sell it most people won't want your information on their new (to them) drone.
Our FAA Decals sheet can also be used as a "REWARD IF FOUND 555-555-2345" decal sheet that has 6 of them in 4 different sizes. Our decals are removable, any adhesive residue that remains after removal comes off with rubbing alcohol. You can find our decal set HERE in the FAA # Box just write REWARD and your phone number. They are available in 7 different colors, other colors available upon request.

Reactions: PAW and Thomas B
Uk owners i heard that when visiting some countries you may need to prove the drone is yours, anyone know of this and how have you proven its yours apart from a receipt of purchase?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian