DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

P3P to Mavic Pro, airspace question

Adjday

Reactions
Hey guys,
Just got the Mavic Pro and I was previously flying the Phantom 3 pro. When I was going to do a roof inspection near a major international airport port (MIA) with the P3P it would lock me out and not let me fly when in the 5 mile radius.

Well now that I own the Mavic, it will allow me to fly, with the information that I am in a controlled air space, with no lock out...

Is this normal? Something that DJI is now or recently started to allow?

Cheers.

This is normal, it depends on the airspace you are in. Some areas will warn you and some will require you to unlock the area HERE

Interesting... because yesterday I was within 2 miles of a major international airport, class B and thought I would definitely get locked out, but was very surprised it didn't. Kinda scary that rookie piolts can get away with this.

As a licensed Remote Pilot I kinda thought it was a good idea of DJI locking out the fights with out permission..then permission from DJI became a problem and lengthy. Now I'm not sure how I feel, because I don't have to turn down work when in a controlled air space. But it is very easy now for novice piolts to cause some real problems that can effect the whole....

Reactions: AlphaMan
Agreed, just because you can fly near an airport especially a major one, doesn't mean you should. I recently had to go through getting an authorization to fly in Class C airspace at a major International airport near me, it took almost 4 months but was granted a "Wide Area Airspace Authorization" which allowed me to fly in the Class C airspace to certain elevations AGL without contacting ATC. The heights however are somewhat limiting 0 ft, 50 ft, 100 ft, 200 ft and 400 ft depending on the location within the 5 mile radius.
You may want to see if your airport is participating in the new LAANC system. You can get permission to fly in the airspace almost immediately but you will most likely have height restrictions depending on your location.

Reactions: wytnyt
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98