DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Palm landing/ take off?

giroyac

Reactions
Hey guys

Can someone who has received their air please test Palm landing ? I saw an Instagram story where they were demonstrating the air and the dji personnel simply put his Palm under the air and just like the spark the air landed on his Palm..

I thought the air did not have the Palm landing feature

Thanks in advance

The Mavic Air does not support the auto Palm Landing and take off features. It is my understanding though that it is possible to land the drone in your hands. I don't know about take off.

Like the Pro, the Air can be landed on your palm but it's not designed to do this. You will get an error but can simply hold the stick down while landing on your palm and once it stops descending for a moment, the props will turn off.

Reactions: Grindeddown
Hey guys

Can someone who has received their air please test Palm landing ? I saw an Instagram story where they were demonstrating the air and the dji personnel simply put his Palm under the air and just like the spark the air landed on his Palm..

I thought the air did not have the Palm landing feature

Thanks in advance

I just tried and it doesn't work.
If you put your hand under the Air, the Air will rise up because it's sensors think there is an object beneath it.

Reactions: giroyac
I just tried and it doesn't work.
If you put your hand under the Air, the Air will rise up because it's sensors think there is an object beneath it.
That's what i thought, thats what my mavic used to do, except if you turned downward sensors off.

I guess we'll have to just hold and tilt to shut off for mid air landings

How you liking it so far ?

6:40

8:50
Yes of course you can land on your hand if you put the stick down just like you can force it to land anywhere else. ;)

It's not as convenient as with the Spark though that will land on your hand without doing anyting with the remote.

THAT'S IT!! I'm keeping my Spark :p:Do_O:cool:

In all seriousness, it's cool to be able to do a quick group selfie w/o needing anything other than the AC.

I used palm take off and landing with my Mavic Air on my last 3 flights.

I was on the top of my building and I think it is easier to take off specially if the area is too small near the walls and windy because the drone can take off very unstable in these conditions.

Just hold your drone over your head and use the auto take off feature and slide the command on the screen. The drone will turn propellers on, take off and hover.

Although Mavic air is not designed for this, it works.

Palm landing is also possible. Be sure that the drone is stable. If you put your hands very close down the aircraft the sensors will make the drone go up.

Just put your hands above the aircraft and hold the stick down. When it touches your hand the sensors will detect and turn off the propellers.

Do not do it wrong like some people say to get the drone with your hands and turn it down 180 degrees. It will force the engines.

Last edited:
Reactions: chippenpuepp
I was on the top of my building and I think it is easier to take off specially if the area is too small near the walls and windy because the drone can take off very unstable in these conditions.
What happens is you loose connection and it needs to RTH on its own?

Reactions: revenFr
What happens is you loose connection and it needs to RTH on its own?
Good question.

The drone will start a RTH normally, but depending on the place it takes off, It will not perform a full landing and it will hover over the place.

If you use the auto take off marking the precise take off checkbox the drone will go up 6 meters high and take a photo to compare the place when landing.

If the drone sensors could not evaluate that the place is safe for landing, if the terrain is irregular for example, it will hover asking you to take the action and land manually.

The drone will start a RTH normally, but depending on the place it takes off, It will not perform a full landing and it will hover over the place.
It will only hover in place for so long. If the connection is not reestablished by then, it will land.

If the drone sensors could not evaluate that the place is safe for landing, if the terrain is irregular for example, it will hover asking you to take the action and land manually.
As mentioned above, it won't wait for a manual landing forever. It _will_ eventually start to land on its own. If there was no enough room to safely take off, it is doubtful that there will be enough room to safely land.

If you can't safely launch from a location, you are taking a risk on the landing as well.

It will only hover in place for so long. If the connection is not reestablished by then, it will land.

As mentioned above, it won't wait for a manual landing forever. It _will_ eventually start to land on its own. If there was no enough room to safely take off, it is doubtful that there will be enough room to safely land.

If you can't safely launch from a location, you are taking a risk on the landing as well.
Yes, for sure.. If the baterry is under a critical level, the drone will land where it is. This is the common behavior, as a security measure.

But I already have this kind of behavior when I take off from a very large stair step on a park.

I safely take off from the floor (on this large stair step) but the drone could not auto land using the RTH function.

The sensors could not evaluate the terrain as a safety place to land and the aircraft hovered over the place and asked me for manual landing.

Of course, if I do not take any action it will land where it is when the battery is critical.

THAT'S IT!! I'm keeping my Spark :p:Do_O:cool:

In all seriousness, it's cool to be able to do a quick group selfie w/o needing anything other than the AC.

You are missing a trick that the Mavic Air has. Its palm control without the controller. Search youtube. You can take off, control the drone, take selfies, get it to follow you and land it with only the palm of your hand. It is magical

Reactions: Elhefe4
I have never taken off from the ground or landed on the ground with my Mavic Air. Always taken off from my hand and landed in my hand.

I turned off the landing protection sensors and it comes down fine, bring it to about 4 feet off the ground and then carefully place my hand underneath whilst pulling down on the left stick. Works like a charm.

It's not automatic but the Air is EXTREMELY easy to launch / land via palm. Even someone else's palm. I do it all the time, so much in fact that I returned my aftermarket landing gear and landing pad. It's great never having to worry about what the ground is like.

Also there is no need to disable the bottom sensors, a 3sec hold (down) on the left stick will override that just like for a normal landing. Just put your hand below, hold down the stick, and in 3 seconds it will very slowly drop into your hand and kill the rotors.

Use palm takeoff and land all the time, just makes life easier when there's not a 'nice' area for takeoff and landing.

Also do this all the time, often take off in fields with long grass, or the beach or somewhere dusty. works just great to and from my hand.

did also misjudge it the other day and stick my finger in the blades which was reassuringly not that painful or bad. both fingers and blades were fine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard