DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Panorama mode disables RAW photo storage?

JethroXP

Reactions
I've known for a while that when you take panorama photos, despite having JPEG + RAW selected, it will only store the final stitched JPEG image. However I believe new behavior introduced in the latest (v01.00.01.00) is that when I have JPEG + RAW selected, after capturing a Panorama and returning to single shot mode, the selection reverts to just JPEG. From a flight yesterday, the first four photos I took saved both JPEG and RAW images, then I took a panorama, which was saved as JPEG, and all subsequent photos of any type were JPEG only, no accompanying RAW files.

Anyone else seen this behavior?

same freakin thing happened to me the other night!!!! My best shot was after a pano and the **** thing was stored as JPEG only. I didn’t find out until I got home. I couldn’t figure out how it switched until I saw your post.

Ruined an otherwise awesome capture! here is the shot. I don’t have it in RAW. I only have the crappy JPEG!

I saw a bunch of jpg photos on my SD even though I only store RAW when shooting. mystery solved! Thanks for your post!

IMG_9131.JPG

btw, the pano mode may be convenient but it stinks compared to shooting more shots manually and stitching in PS

I've known for a while that when you take panorama photos, despite having JPEG + RAW selected, it will only store the final stitched JPEG image. However I believe new behavior introduced in the latest (v01.00.01.00) is that when I have JPEG + RAW selected, after capturing a Panorama and returning to single shot mode, the selection reverts to just JPEG. From a flight yesterday, the first four photos I took saved both JPEG and RAW images, then I took a panorama, which was saved as JPEG, and all subsequent photos of any type were JPEG only, no accompanying RAW files.

Anyone else seen this behavior?

You are mistaken though. The pano image format is not controlled by the "Image Format" setting in the camera tab. Once you select pano, go to the settings tab (not camera tab), scroll down, choose "Save Original" and then set that to "on" with the slider and choose either raw or jpeg. Hyperlapse is in the same menu.

Reactions: SoCalDude
You are mistaken though. The pano image format is not controlled by the "Image Format" setting in the camera tab. Once you select pano, go to the settings tab (not camera tab), scroll down, choose "Save Original" and then set that to "on" with the slider and choose either raw or jpeg. Hyperlapse is in the same menu.

Yes but thats not what he is talking about. What he is saying is that the photo settings (which I have set to RAW) is switching to jpeg after initiating a pano. it happened to me on Friday night. I had my save original settings set to RAW and the pano shots indeed was saved as RAW. But.... my photo settings switched to JPEG and that is a disaster for photographers because you wont likely catch that while shooting unless you check your settings a second time after you finish shooting each pano!

So beware, if you shoot a pano, you better recheck your photo settings to make sure your photos are still being captured in RAW.

Reactions: digiteye
Yes but thats not what he is talking about. What he is saying is that the photo settings (which I have set to RAW) is switching to jpeg after initiating a pano. it happened to me on Friday night. I had my save original settings set to RAW and the pano shots indeed was saved as RAW. But.... my photo settings switched to JPEG and that is a disaster for photographers because you wont likely catch that while shooting unless you check your settings a second time after you finish shooting each pano!

So beware, if you shoot a pano, you better recheck your photo settings to make sure your photos are still being captured in RAW.

That's odd then - mine doesn't do that. Are you on the latest firmware?

I checked and my Zoom doesn't do that either, I have many panoramas in the middle of other shots and never had it switch to JPG because of that. I'm on RAW only though, not JPG+RAW.

I've had it switch in other cases, could have happened when connecting the goggles or engaging some intelligent flight modes.

That's odd then - mine doesn't do that. Are you on the latest firmware?

Not yet and perhaps that was fixed in the latest firmware. The OP posted the firmware version he is one though. Is that the same as yours? It could also be a DJI Go4 app version that is causing it as well.

In any event, better safe than sorry. Check photo settings after shooting a pano to be sure. Im going out in an hour and will see if it happens again on my bird.

BTW, I havent updated my firmware yet because I've been flying daily and simply cant afford to be hung on an update. Any issues noted on the newest firmware?

btw, the pano mode may be convenient but it stinks compared to shooting more shots manually and stitching in PS
More shots than needed is probably just more time and effort than needed. I have had instances where the auto stitching couldn’t get it right (lack of features) but I was able to stitch the sequence manually.

same freakin thing happened to me the other night!!!! My best shot was after a pano and the **** thing was stored as JPEG only. I didn’t find out until I got home. I couldn’t figure out how it switched until I saw your post.

Ruined an otherwise awesome capture! here is the shot. I don’t have it in RAW. I only have the crappy JPEG!

I saw a bunch of jpg photos on my SD even though I only store RAW when shooting. mystery solved! Thanks for your post!

View attachment 51715

Beautiful photo nonetheless.

I view the panoramas as a fun novelty so I’ve been pretty satisfied with the performance and convenience of letting the drone do the work. However this is now the second instance I’ve found of a setting that is altered by selecting panorama mode. The first is live streaming, confirmed by DJI support. If you are live streaming your flight, the stream will be cut off the instant you select panorama mode, you don’t even have to take a photo, simply selecting the mode breaks the stream despite the app indicating that you are still streaming.

With this image storage issue, I did’t notice it in the prior Firmware, but I also don’t take panoramas frequently and am relatively new to processing RAW photos. Yesterday however it was very obvious as I noticed at the beginning of my flight that photo storage was JPEG only, so I switched to JPEG + RAW before I took any photos. I snapped four pictures and then demonstrated panorama mode for a person with me, then continued to fly and take photos. When I go home I found that only the first four photos had JPEG and RAW saved, every other photo was JPEG only.

I’ll play around with it at my desk tonight to see if I can reproduce the behavior in a controlled environment like I was able to do with the live streaming issue.

I view the panoramas as a fun novelty so I’ve been pretty satisfied with the performance and convenience of letting the drone do the work. However this is now the second instance I’ve found of a setting that is altered by selecting panorama mode. The first is live streaming, confirmed by DJI support. If you are live streaming your flight, the stream will be cut off the instant you select panorama mode, you don’t even have to take a photo, simply selecting the mode breaks the stream despite the app indicating that you are still streaming.

With this image storage issue, I did’t notice it in the prior Firmware, but I also don’t take panoramas frequently and am relatively new to processing RAW photos. Yesterday however it was very obvious as I noticed at the beginning of my flight that photo storage was JPEG only, so I switched to JPEG + RAW before I took any photos. I snapped four pictures and then demonstrated panorama mode for a person with me, then continued to fly and take photos. When I go home I found that only the first four photos had JPEG and RAW saved, every other photo was JPEG only.

I’ll play around with it at my desk tonight to see if I can reproduce the behavior in a controlled environment like I was able to do with the live streaming issue.

But presumably it has to be flying in order to take a panorama - or are you saying that just selecting the pano mode might be doing it - as with the streaming issue?

Do you have the pano mode set to store RAW originals?

I did not set pano mode to store RAW originals. And yes, I'm curious if simply selecting pano mode changes the file storage selection similar to how I saw it impact the live stream.

I did not set pano mode to store RAW originals. And yes, I'm curious if simply selecting pano mode changes the file storage selection similar to how I saw it impact the live stream.

I do have pano mode storing RAW originals - I wonder if that makes a difference too.

Mine doesn't do that but i have pano mode to save raw files (as i hate the lack of flexibility with the built in pano function).

I do have pano mode storing RAW originals - I wonder if that makes a difference too.

I have my pano mode set to store RAW, and it does that. The regular photos get switched to jpeg only from either RAW+JPEG or RAW only. It has happened to me every time so far.

I too can confirm this behaviour on the latest firmware.

Another bug to be aware of (it's been reported elsewhere too) is that if you abort a panorama shot it deletes *all* panoramas stored on your card and not just the one you abort. Again, I can confirm this on latest firmware.

I'm also wondering if using HDR or Hyperlight modes (all of which produce Jpg files only) might also be responsible for the raw option to be reset.

I'll try and test at the weekend- too dark after work in the UK now sadly :-(

Reactions: JoeSoap76
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52