DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Panorama mode disables RAW photo storage?

Pano works fine for me, I've never had issues stitching the RAWs so no point bothering with shooting manually.
Works flawless for me aswell. But I have encountered the same issues mentioned above so now I am extra vigilante with making sure raw is selected.

I'm also wondering if using HDR or Hyperlight modes (all of which produce Jpg files only) might also be responsible for the raw option to be reset.

I tested HDR a few times and it goes back to RAW without issue (although HDR mode isnt very good so i dont use it anyway).
Never tried hyperlight mode though.

I flew with another forum member last night and he ran into a strange glitch. We always dial in our hyperlapse photo settings before switching to hyperlapse, shooting at 1/2 second shutter, 2 second intervals, etc.

When he switched into course lock, the shutter settings switched to 1/20 second and would not allow changing back to 1/2 second. Oddly enough, it did not do that in free mode so he was stuck using free mode. Unfortunately, the glitch and subsequent delay caused him to miss most of the planned sunset hyperlapse which I was able to capture some of here:

Another thing Ive noticed is that my drone turns ever so slightly during some hyperlapse sequences causing motion that is amplified in a time lapse. I think it is due to the compass being less than perfectly calibrated. It improved after calibration even though the drone didnt ask for calibration. Hope that helps but ymmv

Last edited:
here is a hyperlapse taken right after compass calibration, better but still a little yaw movement;

Reactions: genesimmons
[...] when I have JPEG + RAW selected, after capturing a Panorama and returning to single shot mode, the selection reverts to just JPEG [...]

Anyone else seen this behavior?
Ahhh, that might make sense. I was wondering why I suddenly wasn’t shooting raw. I’ll try that out again and see if that was the culprit. :)

Mine doesn't do that but i have pano mode to save raw files (as i hate the lack of flexibility with the built in pano function).
try litchi for panos, it will give u all the flexibility u want, u choose the number or rows the number of images and most imprtantly the degree, 180 degree 360 degree 90 degree or what ever u like, and u can most most imprtanly change the time between photos,,,,,this is where dji fails huge, yes its crazy fast when it takes a huge pano but it takes the phtos wayyyy to fast and doesnt allow for the metering to catch up and some time u get over blwn images, litchi alllows u to change the duration between, i have mine for 1 second, yes it takes 9 seconds to do a 9image pano but the exposres are way more consistent

This sure is an annoyance- I have pano and hyperlapse set to save raw and images as raw only. After every pano I shoot image is set to jpg.

Don't really want to pay what is a fair chunk of money for a 3rd party app if i can help it, especially one with potentially a few issues.
Panos i do manually - i dont need to select degrees then, i can do it by eye to frame what i want. And manual exposure as well.
Losing portrait mode has made panos a lot more annoying but its something unavoidable with the bigger camera and newer gimbal.

I too can confirm this behaviour on the latest firmware.

Another bug to be aware of (it's been reported elsewhere too) is that if you abort a panorama shot it deletes *all* panoramas stored on your card and not just the one you abort. Again, I can confirm this on latest firmware.

I'm also wondering if using HDR or Hyperlight modes (all of which produce Jpg files only) might also be responsible for the raw option to be reset.

I'll try and test at the weekend- too dark after work in the UK now sadly :-(

HOrror - that could cost me a lot of money . Ubelievable - i thought it was strange that a lot of images were missing -
sooooooooo stupid .

try litchi for panos, it will give u all the flexibility u want, u choose the number or rows the number of images and most imprtantly the degree, 180 degree 360 degree 90 degree or what ever u like, and u can most most imprtanly change the time between photos,,,,,this is where dji fails huge, yes its crazy fast when it takes a huge pano but it takes the phtos wayyyy to fast and doesnt allow for the metering to catch up and some time u get over blwn images, litchi alllows u to change the duration between, i have mine for 1 second, yes it takes 9 seconds to do a 9image pano but the exposres are way more consistent

You use auto exposure when capturing the individual images for your panos? I think the common wisdom is to use manual mode so that each component of the pano has the same exposure. You don't find the exposure differences to cause you problems when stitching them together?

For those experiencing this problem with it changing your settings, it might be helpful to do a screen recording where you demonstrate the problem and then get it in front of DJI (i.e. open a support ticket, tweet it to their @DJISupport account, etc) so they can do something about it.

You use auto exposure when capturing the individual images for your panos? I think the common wisdom is to use manual mode so that each component of the pano has the same exposure. You don't find the exposure differences to cause you problems when stitching them together?
i dont think u can shoot in manual mode for a pano using dji go? i havent tried but i dont think u can, i dont use dji go much anyways, like i said for panos it doesnt have near the flxibility that litchi has,dji go does the panos wayyyy to fast,licthi gives u way more freedom, dji has had pano as a feature for a long time if they wanted to fix it and make it more useable i am sure they would have by now,i think they concentrate on newer feature like hyperlapse etc,

i dont think u can shoot in manual mode for a pano using dji go? i havent tried but i dont think u can, i dont use dji go much anyways, like i said for panos it doesnt have near the flxibility that litchi has,dji go does the panos wayyyy to fast,licthi gives u way more freedom, dji has had pano as a feature for a long time if they wanted to fix it and make it more useable i am sure they would have by now,i think they concentrate on newer feature like hyperlapse etc,

Yes, you can definitely do panos in DJI Go 4 with the camera set to manual mode. When in manual mode, there is no metering necessary. You’ve already set the ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. So it just needs to snap the pic. As long as it has stopped moving while it snaps the pic, I don’t see the issue with the speed between pics. In fact, I’d prefer it to snap the individual pics as quickly as possible so that the lighting conditions don’t change and there is as little movement in the environment as possible.

Having said that, I don’t doubt that Litchi gives more options for panos. However, I’ve only used Litchi for Waypoints and haven’t used it for panos, so I can’t speak to that.

Yes, you can definitely do panos in DJI Go 4 with the camera set to manual mode. When in manual mode, there is no metering necessary. You’ve already set the ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. So it just needs to snap the pic. As long as it has stopped moving while it snaps the pic, I don’t see the issue with the speed between pics. In fact, I’d prefer it to snap the individual pics as quickly as possible so that the lighting conditions don’t change and there is as little movement in the environment as possible.

Having said that, I don’t doubt that Litchi gives more options for panos. However, I’ve only used Litchi for Waypoints and haven’t used it for panos, so I can’t speak to that.

another reason i dont like dji going so fast for panos is in many panos i have not all but many i get the props in the pano in the extreme corners beecause dji takes the photo so fast after the drone has moved,in litchi u can set the time between shots, i have mine a .5 second,that gives the drone a chance to completey stop then focus then shoot, i dont thnk i would want to shoot in manual for a wide180 or 225 degree pano as the lighting is different greatly in that spread and u would for sure have either blown out or underexposed images.i tend to shoot my panos into the sun near the end of the pano and if i set it manually some images would be set wrong, dji go does a good job just way to fast and no options to slow that down

Attachments

• Pan135.jpeg
    9 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: dannybgoode
another reason i dont like dji going so fast for panos is in many panos i have not all but many i get the props in the pano in the extreme corners beecause dji takes the photo so fast after the drone has moved,in litchi u can set the time between shots, i have mine a .5 second,that gives the drone a chance to completey stop then focus then shoot, i dont thnk i would want to shoot in manual for a wide180 or 225 degree pano as the lighting is different greatly in that spread and u would for sure have either blown out or underexposed images.i tend to shoot my panos into the sun near the end of the pano and if i set it manually some images would be set wrong, dji go does a good job just way to fast and no options to slow that down

Thanks for sharing your techniques. I'm always open to trying different things to help learn more and find out what works well for my tastes. Give 10 different photographers the same scene and they'll come up with 10 different interpretations of it. That is the great thing about photography. Cheers!

Thanks for sharing your techniques. I'm always open to trying different things to help learn more and find out what works well for my tastes. Give 10 different photographers the same scene and they'll come up with 10 different interpretations of it. That is the great thing about photography. Cheers!
yes, thats so true, my sister wedding they put a disposable camera on every table and asked every one to shoot randoms, they printed them all off later on and got some wonderful shots from diffeent people with different views.of course that was a long time ago when disposable cameras were a thing,,,,,haha

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb