DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Panoramic mode not as good as doing it manually or with Litchi

I feel like it's more likely the fault of the DNG created on the drone, when the standard photo modes do not produce the problem, only the DNG created by the panoramic sequence show the problem. If it was Adobe you'd think it would show on *all* the DNG files created by the drone, not just the ones produced in panoramic mode.

My guess is when they forced the jpegs to be a smaller resolution, that also impacted how the DNG file was created.

The Jpeg doesn't show the problem, but the Jpeg is only 3 Megapixels, the DNG raw file is 12 megapixels. The Jpeg fits perfectly into the affected corner.

When opening the DNG file in IrfanView you'll see it's showing 3 megapixels, hence it's only showing a jpeg preview. I imagine if you did the same with Aurora then you're not seeing the actual raw data til you try to go process it.
For sure it does show the raw data, here i export a jpg from the raw Aurora left and Lightroom right1605914124862.png

Attachments

• DJI_0003.jpg
    DJI_0003.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
I feel like it's more likely the fault of the DNG created on the drone, when the standard photo modes do not produce the problem, only the DNG created by the panoramic sequence show the problem. If it was Adobe you'd think it would show on *all* the DNG files created by the drone, not just the ones produced in panoramic mode.

My guess is when they forced the jpegs to be a smaller resolution, that also impacted how the DNG file was created.
You see now its no problem of the DNG

Let me see if I can clear up the confusion (that I think is going on) -- you guys are not speaking with the same underlying knowledge of the technical issues.

@RRohr , DNG is a container, and has, in this case, two complete images contained in it: The actual full-resolution raw photo data, and a smaller, JPG compressed image to act as a rapid "thumbnail" for display purposes.

Not knowing the internals of these various programs, I can't say with any certainty WHAT data is being access to show the image in the app window when the image is opened. It stands to reason, though, that the thumbnail is used for display purposes to speed the UI.

Again, we don't know, so what you're seeing in Aurora is not necessarily the raw data. @karlblessing has been spot-on in his detective work and speculative analysis trying to figure out what's happening.

@karlblessing , I'm not an expert on DNG container format. I'd suggest removing the JPG from the container if you know how, then open it in Adobe and see what happens. Also would be interesting to see this opened in the other apps too.

@karlblessing , I'm not an expert on DNG container format. I'd suggest removing the JPG from the container if you know how, then open it in Adobe and see what happens. Also would be interesting to see this opened in the other apps too.
In my attempt to do just that, I used the Adobe DNG converter to convert them with no preview at all. The problem still gets reproduced in ACR/LR/Photoshop (but not On1 Camera Raw 2021 Trial).

The converted DNG size is basically the same if you opened the unaffected DNG in adobe camera raw and and told it to rebuild a preview (ie: medium with fast load data) and you end up with a 13MB DNG file that is just the main raw data (and a small bump of a medium preview).

It'd be easy to just say it's Adobe's problem, but their single shot and AEB DNG raw files do not exhibit the problem, and the only difference between those modes and Pano mode is that the accompanying Jpeg files are a smaller 3Megapixel size, and in some viewers (such as IrFanview) it's confusing the actual size of the raw file with that of the embedded small jpeg preview.

I'd speculate that if DJI did either of the following, the problem would go away :

* Either they do not reduce the Jpeg size for panos and capture them the same way Single/AEB photos are captured (But can impact the way the in-app stitching works especially on lower memory devices, as well as being too large for Class 10 SD cards to save quickly enough, but Jpeg+Raw would be too big to begin with for Class 10).

* Provide the option to save Raw-Only (forfeiting of course any in-app processing), especially since it's already embedding a large jpeg anyways. Though I don't understand why they're embedding a full resolution jpeg when they're forcing you to save a separate full resolution jpeg file already. But least with Raw only, with the preference of no embeded or a small high compression embed, it'd be a lot easier on the card and less likely to have this issue.

As you'll notice from earlier screenshot, they tried to blame it on Adobe Camera Raw (Which is always opened to import raw into photoshop), and saying that should use Photoshop instead, and that it doesn't show the problem, but I can clearly see the problem in the screenshots they provided.

So I'm hoping someone a bit more technical on their team will take a look at it from there.

I’ve been following this thread with some interest, just getting into RAW photography and didn’t even realise you could set panos to RAW ?. I’ve just upload this mornings RAW photos from the Pano folder and stitched them in Affinity Photo for iPad, I’m not seeing this phenomenon in the finished results.

Attachments

• 6FB96DA8-518C-42A3-8DB9-8783929EB693.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 15
Excellent work on our behalf, karlblessing. Thanks!

Assuming you wanted the highest quality finished pano image, the correct procedure would be to shoot each component of the stitch in AEB and save DNG/JPG on the SD card right? Stitch later on desktop.

Can you do this (use AEB) while also using the automatic gimbal positioning for each component image?

If so, the MM2 is going to be a landscape photography powerhouse.

Anxiously awaiting delivery of my first drone. :). A MM2.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf