DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Parachute dropping fun

gcopter1

Reactions
I have an Air 2 S and looking to equip it with an air drop system. If any of you are experienced in this activity, what is the best way to use the air drop system to release toy parachutes?

I'm guessing that, the toy parachute in question must have a heavy payload and wide canopy, in order to give it time to unfurl.

The video examples I've found wtaching YouTube videos, usually have the parachute canopy hanging upside down, while the payload is attached to the release mechanism.

This method, is a bit concerning to me as flying to the release area, can cause the parachute to deploy and induce drag, potentially, slowing down the drone and even cause the parachute to float into the rotating propellers.

If you have engaged in this type of activity, what is your experience?
What kind of parachutes have you used?
I'm looking to get the cheapest, safest, parachute I can order in volume to experiment.

Amazon has some great looking toy parachutes, but, at around $10, $12 and above, I think I'd run out of money before I achieve the desired results; a safe way to deploy one or multiple parachutes.

Not too concerned about recovering the parachute but looking for safety and multiple drops.

Used a servo to drop bombs on my RC planes with gas engines, closet to the target wins)...The servos weight is almost insignificant on a RC Plane. a drone..? ummm not sooo much !! Check them out...(They obviously were not real..)..

Reactions: Lob's Falcon
Look for YouTube videos of making paper parachutes. Use cotton string too. Cheap and safer for environment. Release mods activated by turning on lights are inexpensive also. Good luck and have fun.

"Not too concerned about recovering the parachutes" strikes me as as bad as fishermen who leave fishing line tangles all over fishing spots. I often come home with a pocket full of the stuff picked from rocks or bushes etc.
Almost sounds like dropping contraband.

Drops when you turn on aux light, I did buy a parachute for it but never dropped it yet.

Attachments

• 49F29AA6-7976-43C5-9AF3-F677B4789395.jpeg
    49F29AA6-7976-43C5-9AF3-F677B4789395.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 43
Reactions: beermat and okw
Drops when you turn on aux light, I did buy a parachute for it but never dropped it yet.
The water balloon looks like a lot more fun than a parachute would be.

Kids like it and have bombed a coyote

• Haha
Reactions: okw
So, dropping trash?
I have a landfill in my city. They use drones all the time to pick up trash on the road side and fly it over to the land fill and drop it. Our city looks super clean, except for the landfill and the sky full of thousands of drones carrying trash. LOL.

I have an Air 2 S and looking to equip it with an air drop system. If any of you are experienced in this activity, what is the best way to use the air drop system to release toy parachutes?

I'm guessing that, the toy parachute in question must have a heavy payload and wide canopy, in order to give it time to unfurl.

The video examples I've found wtaching YouTube videos, usually have the parachute canopy hanging upside down, while the payload is attached to the release mechanism.

This method, is a bit concerning to me as flying to the release area, can cause the parachute to deploy and induce drag, potentially, slowing down the drone and even cause the parachute to float into the rotating propellers.

If you have engaged in this type of activity, what is your experience?
What kind of parachutes have you used?
I'm looking to get the cheapest, safest, parachute I can order in volume to experiment.

Amazon has some great looking toy parachutes, but, at around $10, $12 and above, I think I'd run out of money before I achieve the desired results; a safe way to deploy one or multiple parachutes.

Not too concerned about recovering the parachute but looking for safety and multiple drops.
I use a light activated servo drop release mechanism. I put a small ultra light hook made of metal wire on the top center of the parachute. The parachute is made from a sheet of plastic. I connect the thing to be dropped to strings connected to the parachute. The weight of the object to be dropped pulls the plastic chute down and keeps it away from the props and keeps the wind from pulling it up. Then I just fly up and drop the parachute. It immediately opens. I've never had any hang ups.

By the way. For those that mention contraband. You don't use a parachute to drop contraband into a prison courtyard. It exposes the drop and makes it easy to spot. You wrap the contraband into a tight package that matches the prison grounds and drop from 1000 ft so neither dron or package can be seen. The package drops so fast, nobody can see it. The only person that notices is the one waiting for the drop , because they here I slight thud. Then they just pick it up and walk away. The drone is just too high and far gone to get caught after the drop.

Haha LOL. That description is from a movie I watched. I think they dropped a knife into the courtyard to kill a rival group. I guess it could work for other stuff too. But that wasn't in the movie. Imagine if they started dropping guns? Our hobby would be over.😭

Haha LOL. That description is from a movie I watched. I think they dropped a knife into the courtyard to kill a rival group. I guess it could work for other stuff too. But that wasn't in the movie. Imagine if they started dropping guns? Our hobby would be over.😭

This has happened farm more than once and just like you mentioned which is the main reason for drone ID in the states. If you were to take a S1000+ you could easily do this with quite a few of guns and ammunition.

This has happened farm more than once and just like you mentioned which is the main reason for drone ID in the states. If you were to take a S1000+ you could easily do this with quite a few of guns and ammunition.
They are giong to have to start putting netting over outdoor prison yards.

WAIT A SECOND EVERYONE. The drone hit the top of the prison fence and crashed? Seriously, this sounds like a "FALSE FLAG" scam perpetrated by the prison board itself. YOU ALL FLY DRONES. Since when are you or any one else on this forum going to fly that low to drop something in an area as large a prison yard. You are asking to be seen and heard, let alone crashing. Our government is not the squeaky clean machine most believe it is. The funding the prison will get from this event will be immense. Also, for a drone to fly at the height of the prison fence, the pilot would need to be in VLOS. This puts the pilot at risk of getting caught. If you fly 400 feet and in the tree line nearby, you won't be seen and the drop will be easy. The drone can fly away undetected. Only the illegal paraphernalia would be found. Something is not kosher here.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99