DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Parachute system for Mavic

ataskii

Reactions
Thought someone might be interested for Mavic parachute system. I have not seen any others so I made my own. After a while I got guys contacting me from countries where it is mandatory to have these if you use drone at sports events.
Here is picture of my system.V10MVC_SML.jpg

Thought someone might be interested for Mavic parachute system. I have not seen any others so I made my own. After a while I got guys contacting me from countries where it is mandatory to have these if you use drone at sports events.
Here is picture of my system.View attachment 13144

That's an interesting system. More details please... e.g. weight, how is it activated, impact on flying time, etc....

Interesting...! How it works...?
More info here:
System weighs around 70 g
Launch tube is 50 g
parachute is 20 g
The mounting hardware and harness will add 10 g
holder clips 6 g harness is around 4 g

It is ejected automatically if angle is changed more than 60 deg from vertical (I can adjust this) so if one motor/prop is lost in mid air parachute is deployed.
Also free fall for more than 0,5 seconds will deploy the parachute.

The launch tube can be used "unlimited" times. It is spring loaded so you just need to push piston down until you hear click and you are ready to go again.

I have found out that flight time with parachute on is around 20 min.

Hope I answered to those questions :)

Very interesting product, could you post a demonstration video?
I'd grab one if it works and the price is right. When is it up for sale?

Reactions: Bergumbira
Very interesting product, could you post a demonstration video?
I'd grab one if it works and the price is right. When is it up for sale?

I am in.. for buying, for testing, for instructional video, for comercial video.. need that liitle chute..

I have done my testin on a similar weight quad since Ionly have one Mavic so it could not be y crash dummy. Even if you make nice landing with parachute it is not possible to choose where you land exactly.
In my own use I have not had emergency yet (I hear there are only too types of drones - those who crashed and those who did not crash yet :) )
Even my Mavic is still intact I have tested the parachute on another quad. My cameraman is not very skilled so more videos will follow once he has a lucky day.
Some you tube links here:

Also similar weigh system on test dummy Phantom 3 frame here

Last edited:
Reactions: Bergumbira
About product availability. I am now making limited quantities and all is now handmade. I am asking 330USD plus shipping for a Mavic system. Yes :) I know the price is always too high ;)

Just a thought: if you loose one prop, the other three are still spinning frantically when the chute is deployed, cant see how that would go good...

Please show me where wire for battery go.. or where is plan to mount the battery for chute activation..

In the video of indicator lights you see first version where battery was outside. This final product has battery and charger are built in. It is charged thru USB connector. It will refuse to arm if the battery is low and you will only get red light blinking for a while telling you it is time to charge.

As for spinning props when parachute is deployed you need to initiate prop emergency stop soonest once you have emergency. Normally if the parachute shock cord or strings tangle with prop it is only for few rounds before prop stops. Parachute will still open and slow your drop down. In my testing the opened parachute is not fully symmetrical if string have prop tangle. I did not want to think to void any warranty by opening up Mavic. It would be possible to tweak battery pack to shutdown system but its too cumbersome in my mind.

In the video of indicator lights you see first version where battery was outside. This final product has battery and charger are built in. It is charged thru USB connector. It will refuse to arm if the battery is low and you will only get red light blinking for a while telling you it is time to charge.

As for spinning props when parachute is deployed you need to initiate prop emergency stop soonest once you have emergency. Normally if the parachute shock cord or strings tangle with prop it is only for few rounds before prop stops. Parachute will still open and slow your drop down. In my testing the opened parachute is not fully symmetrical if string have prop tangle. I did not want to think to void any warranty by opening up Mavic. It would be possible to tweak battery pack to shutdown system but its too cumbersome in my mind.

Good job!!

Reactions: ataskii
About product availability. I am now making limited quantities and all is now handmade. I am asking 330USD plus shipping for a Mavic system. Yes :) I know the price is always too high ;)

Have you done any cooperation with TRAFI? Are you legally allowed to fly above groups of people with your parachute? I know they ask if your quad is equipped with a parachute when you register it.
Hmm, seems to be around 385€ inc shipping in Finland. Any need for a local tester? ;)

this is very cool. any thoughts on mounting the cylinder vertically so that the parachute shoots straight up instead of rearward? it may help to prevent the strings from tangling in the props or at least lessen the chances. but I don't know how detrimental that would be for balance.

this is very cool. any thoughts on mounting the cylinder vertically so that the parachute shoots straight up instead of rearward? it may help to prevent the strings from tangling in the props or at least lessen the chances. but I don't know how detrimental that would be for balance.

Would you fly your mavic with the cylinder placed vertically??
Mavic "empire states building" Pro....[emoji85]

Ouch !!
In Canadian dollars that's half the price of a new Mavic . And then if you refresh your covered anyways.
But I must applaud you on a very cool product hopefully you sell a lot and you can bring the price down to about half of what you're asking now.
Good luck

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31