DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Parachute system for Mavic

Right on, Phantomrain! You know, once again, I didn't think about the drifting aspect. That could be a major issue, just like you say if the wind is up and of course the higher you are the more it will drift. I always try to be alert when flying, but you'd have to really be quick on this one. I'm thinking, at least if you got into trouble, had a drop or a fly-away situation, or whatever, hopefully you could try and bring the copter down as far as reasonable before you deploy the parachute. I'm still not sure if this unit automatically shuts off the props just before deployment, or not, but I guess you could use the double stick method to shut off the props once your ready to deploy. I'm still using my Marco Polo drone finder unit, so hopefully I'd have a much better chance of finding it after it went down. I'm also wondering why the drone landed sideways. You'd think if the chute was set up with everything balanced it wouldn't do that, but maybe it's not possible to do that, depending on how and where you attach the parachute mechanism. A lot of things to think about here, but I'm still not ready to give up on the idea of getting one yet. I just wish they'd hurry up and come down in price, if they ever will. Marc.

The only appeal that i can really see is if your are using the Waiver and the Chute to fly over a large group of people, the problem I have with that is that besides the Drift is that if someone is not aware that chute is coming down, there is still enough force to hurt someone.

Keep in mind that most people are not even aware that you are going to be flying over them and even if you have the chute and the waiver , no one on the ground is being told to be aware, so they will be blind to a falling object .

I have flown long enough now to know that the allure of flying over people is something that I will just never do, I may break some of the other alt restrictions now and than, but watching my drone fall into a group of people below with that chute is not one of them or having one drift into the highway scares me.

Phantomrain.org
coal

Last edited:
The only appeal that i can really see is if your are using the Waiver and the Chute to fly over a large group of people, the problem I have with that is that besides the Drift is that if someone is not aware that chute is coming down, there is still enough force to hurt someone.

Keep in mind that most people are not even aware that you are going to be flying over them and even if you have the chute and the waiver , no one on the ground is being told to be aware, so they will be blind to a falling object .

I have flown long enough now to know that the allure of flying over people is something that I will just never do, I may break some of the other alt restrictions now and than, but watching my drone fall into a group of people below with that chute is not one of them or having one drift into the highway scares me.

Phantomrain.org
coal
You're right again. I wasn't necessarily implying flying over people, but you know, I'm glad you brought this up, because I can see how easy it could be to just think: "Oh, heck... now I've got a parachute, I can fly over people, but your right, that it's still falling fast enough it could injure someone, and/or create a heck of a law suit. I guess the other problem is if you were flying to close to a group of people or for that matter even one person, the drone and parachute could easily drift into someone. Of course that could happen on a fly-away also, or if the drone just went into atti mode where you might not be able to control it. I guess this all still comes under being aware of the whole situation when flying, and trying to give yourself and others enough of a safety margin. One last little nugget I just thought of yesterday, is that having a nice bright parachute could help you find your drone faster, but at the same time it could be a real problem if it drifted or came down into a tall tree. Whew, that could be a bad one. Hmmmmmmm. Marc.

When Parazero finally releases their system for the Mavic Pro / Mavic 2 i am getting one.
I've been looking at parazero also. They look like they have a track record of already having customers who fly the more commercial drones like
When Parazero finally releases their system for the Mavic Pro / Mavic 2 i am getting one.
I've been looking at the Parazero also. I like the fact that they have customers who use the parachutes on Matrice and other more commercial drones with apparent success. I also like the feature where it turns off the props at deployment. My biggest concern is whether it can be diploid manually in case your flying over a lake or somewhere that could or would be inaccessible to retrieving the drone. That's why I've been looking at the Vector parachutes which do have a remote that can be purchaced. I'd like know if the Parazero has that possibility. I think I saw on a YouTube interview with Parazero where the drone might be available in the future in the $200. range. That would certainly be cheaper than the Vector.

I've been looking at parazero also. They look like they have a track record of already having customers who fly the more commercial drones like

I've been looking at the Parazero also. I like the fact that they have customers who use the parachutes on Matrice and other more commercial drones with apparent success. I also like the feature where it turns off the props at deployment. My biggest concern is whether it can be diploid manually in case your flying over a lake or somewhere that could or would be inaccessible to retrieving the drone. That's why I've been looking at the Vector parachutes which do have a remote that can be purchaced. I'd like know if the Parazero has that possibility. I think I saw on a YouTube interview with Parazero where the drone might be available in the future in the $200. range. That would certainly be cheaper than the Vector.
Hi, the SafeAir Mavic is now available here: SafeAir Archives - ParaZero

We also had exciting news last week, when the first waiver for flight over people was granted to general contractor Hensel Phelps, using a ParaZero SafeAir Phantom system. FAA Issues Waiver for Drones With Parachutes to Fly Over People – and Indicates a Way Forward for New Drone Technologies

If you're interested in using the SafeAir Systems to help you get waivers/approvals, make sure to purchase the ASTM Professional Kit. This includes declaration of compliance with ASTM F3322-18 as well as all safety and test data, validated by 3rd party.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike