DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 and suggested drone?

JMC3

Reactions
My wife and I own three companies. I am in my seventies and still working I don't like the Idea of retiring. One of our companies specializes in commercial insurance (we have been doing that for 25 years) and as a result I have a good chance of offering 107 services to them. My quandary is the proper drone, there are many variables to consider I have concerns with. I have a few basic drones from DJI like the Mavic pro and Mini 2. In working with DJi I consider their services to be above average. However, their tendency to continue to introduce new products will they to continue to support older ones? I have over five years with drones and feel proficient. My question is which drone (from those who are in the BIz ) would be the right choice to go with. I know there are a lot of variables like how I will use it and where but right now the opportunities are open.

Thanks

Which drone to use really depends on what services you're going to offer. If creative services, it's pretty hard to beat DJI. Autel puts out some good drone for sure, but DJI is the one that offers the most varied products.

And all companies stop supporting their drones after a while. It's a business decision. And since drones evolve so quickly, this industry seems to do it quicker than more established industries.

Personally I own and use DJI, Shendrone, and GetFPV drones. DJI gets the vast majority of air time. I've also used Autel and more recently Skydio on projects as well. Autel is close to DJI in quality, but not in sensor offerings for the creative verticals. Skydio isn't really a big player at the moment for creatives. Their sensors just aren't there.

And they're not really going after that market. They're positioning themselves for the enterprise verticals. And much of the R&D is going to DOD projects thanks to their influx of DOD grants.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but hopefully that helps.

As far as retiring, I'm with you there. I'll die first. I love what I do.

Reactions: BigAl07 and db4476
Thanks for the response. I am attempting to make an informed decision because as a company owner everything gets a budget.
I have been a pilot for many years, which I gave up several years ago. So, I am an avid advocate of everything that flies.
I would like to budget for a versatile Drone with excellent collision avoidance and a decent camera. I enjoy DJI but as you mentioned new iterations of drones means lessening of support, but I guess that can't be avoided. My target markets will start with houses. I have a large client in HVAC which could use before and after pictures. Sometimes his client will tr to blame him for damage that existed prior to his work. Also looking at high rise construction real estate pics for realtors.
I have a Mavic pro, but I am considering upgrading a step or two
again, thanks from this "vintage" guy.

If you're business has anything to do with creating imagery, photos or video/film, upgrading is going to be a continual part of that process. And it is not just the aircraft/camera but also everything down the pipeline to the customer such as computers, monitors and a lot more.

Pick the combo that does what you need now and expect to upgrade in a couple years or even sooner.

Reactions: BigAl07
Drones/UAS, just like computers were a few years (ok couple decades) ago in the TECHNOLOGY is evolving so quickly the moment you buy one the next model is already out. Back many moons ago I bought a HP 486/50 computer. Literally by the time I got home with it the 486/66 was sitting on the shelf where the 486/50 had been sitting. Fortunately for me the unit I bought had a faulty hard drive and when I returned it the next day they swapped it out for the 486/66 freely.

If you want the most "longevity" of your equipment (and you're willing to be the Test Subject of features and firmware) you'll want to get the new Mavic 3 Pro or the Mini 3 which is the latest and greatest. This would give you, potentially, the longest shelf life and Support.

With that being said, I was recently in the market for a new aircraft (my own fault for not spotting a power line directly over my head) and had to make this same decision. After being a Beta Tester for Bill Gate's Regime for many years I have relinquished that title and I don't plan to BETA TEST for anyone and especially not a company I'm BUYING the product from. So I purchased a like-new Mavic 2 Pro (that's what I crashed/destroyed) and it is making me money day in and day out. It's bringing in roughly (right now) $1500/week so it's hard to complain with it being "older" technology.

For the most Bang for your Buck I would say look into the DJI Air 2S. It's still very "new" but has a strong track record of performance and durability.

I hope this helps some.

Reactions: Vic Moss
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev